UK Marriage Visitor visa - supporting documentation help needed please

Hello all.

I am looking to take my Thai girlfriend to the UK for Christmas and get married to her in the UK whilst I am there (I am a UK citizen currently living here in Thailand).  I have looked at the UK visas available and the marraige visitor visa I believe is what we need although I have some (mosty likely) really silly questions about the documentation needed as it seems unclear and I want it cleared up so I can start collecting it all.

1 - What documentation does she need to provide?  Does anyone have a checklist?

2 - What documentation (if any) do I myself need to provide or my parents who reside in the UK?

3 - (really silly question) but the supporting documents PDF that is on the UK Visas website (e.g. evidence of employment, payslips, detauls of accomodation) is that for her or me or both?

4 - It states on the website these two additional requirements for supporting documents can also be supplid (also, does that mean it is not mandatory?  I guess more is better?):

• details of the marriage or civil partnership and proof that you’ve paid money for some of its costs

Again, is this me/her or both and what would examples of this be?

• proof that you have given notification of marriage to the registry office in England and Wales

Again, is this me/her or both and what would examples of this be?

If someone can kindly give me some sort of structure or outline or checklist to follow so I can start collecting all the required documents to get this visa then I would be very grateful as time, due to ti taking up to 3 months to be processed after application, is definitely of the essence.

Many thanks - ianwuk

1) As well as anything which is relevant on the UKVI list you should supply evidence that she will leave the UK and return to Thailand when or before her visa expires.

Does she work? Own property? Evidence of your immigration status and employment, if any,  in Thailand will also help with this.

2) You should provide evidence as above, plus evidence that you can afford the visit. If your parents are offering accommodation they shpiuld write an invitation letter describing the property and who lives there to show that there is room for you both. Evidence that they own the property or, if they rent, a letter from their landlord confirming that you can stay there will help.

3) If both of you are paying for the visit then both of you should provide evidence of your ability to do so. See above for evidence of accommodation. If she works then she should provide a letter from her employer granting her a leave of absence; if you work then one from yours will help; if you return to Thailand the assumption should be that she will as well.

4) Difficult to do; particularly as you both have to attend the registry office in person to give notice of the marriage and can't do that until you and she are in the UK!

But in your supporting letter detail what arrangements you have already made; date, venue etc. and if you have any evidence, booking confirmation for example, include it.

Processing times vary according to demand, but UKVI aim to process 90% of non settlement visas, which this is, within 3 weeks.

However you can apply up to three months in advance. Note, though, that the visa will start on the requested date or the date of issue, whichever is the later, and they have been known to miss a request for a post dated visa.

As well as putting the date in the relevant part of the form, ask for it in your supporting letter. Then, when she receives her passport back check the visa and the start date immediately; mistakes cannot be rectified later.

Although geared more to tourist and family visits, you may find UK visit visa basics helpful.

Thank you very much for replying.

I have another two questions please.

Once we are married in Thailand, if we are to go to the UK (the Thai marraige is recognised in the UK also) at Christmas I know that we cannot get married again under UK law because the marraige is valid in both countries and that would be bigamy in UK law (correct me if I am wrong?) so we are looking at a kind of blessing ceremony only - would that still require a spouse visa? Is this what the UK government calls 'registering a civil partnership' in the UK?

Also, whenever we are granted a UK spouse visa I understand my wife is entitled to start off by living in the UK for 2 years.  If, during those 2 years, she returns back to Thailand what happens to the visa?  Can she still go back to the UK within that same 2 year period without any issues or, once she leaves the UK, regardless of whether or not the 2 years is up, does she have to reapply from the start of the entire process again?

Thanks - ianwuk

Edited by ianwuk

A marriage blessing ceremony is just that, you are blessing a marriage that has just taken place, the sort of thing that people may consider doing after they've been married a number of years, or in your case have married overseas.

You are correct in saying that you cannot remarry, you are already legally married.

A civil partnership is for people of the same sex. 

Once your wife is living in the UK as your spouse she would be expected to live there during the qualifying periods, she cannot sit out her time in Thailand, though she could come back for a holiday but it would need to be of a reasonable length.

She could go on any visa if she intends to return to Thailand, family or a bog standard visit visa, as a blessing is not a legal procedure and doesn't change her status.

If she wishes to remain in the UK as your wife then she should apply for a settlement visa in Thailand.

Not murky or unique at all, if you are marrying in Thailand and just visiting the UK for a blessing and holiday, then she applies for a visit visa.

If you both intend to settle in the UK after you're married then she applies for a Settlement Visa.

Sorry tog, but which settlement visa should be applied for?

'Apply to remain in the UK with family'

or

'Apply to join family permanently living in the UK'

Many thanks.

ianwuk

Hi ianwuk

I'm in the same position as you, although my situation is more complicated as my girlfriend is Laotian and pregnant!  Being Lao means that she needs permission to be in Thailand, which used to be easy as Laotians could get a 30-day stamp at the border, but with the recent change, and her history of being in Thailand for 5 years on back to back border stamps, means she may no longer be allowed into Thailand without a visa.

I plan to apply for a UK Marriage Visitor's visa for her, but she will need to be in Thailand to do this as I don't think it can be done in Laos.  I think that as long as you can "prove" that you have a genuine relationship and that you have a job/home in Thailand, it should be straightforward.  My girlfriend has no job as she can't legally work in Thailand, but I think the fact that I have roots here should be enough. 

Getting married when in the UK doesn't sound as straightforward As I hoped, as the intention to marry needs to be made at least 16 days before you marry and you are supposed to have lived in the district for at least 9 days before registration!  I was hoping we could arrive in the UK, get married, and get back to Thailand within a week!

Let's keep in touch and compare notes - oh, by the way, I think we know each other in 'real life', so I'll also message you on Facebook!

Edit:  I've just checked and there is a British Embassy in Laos, so it looks like she can apply for a UK Marriage Visitor's Visa in Laos. 

Edited by brewsterbudgen