Marriage vs Retirement Extension ?

Planning a trip of about 120 days that will include one or more side trips to neighboring countries.  Then plan to return again after about 7 months for a similar trip, so I am considering options for a 1 year extension.

For someone who is eligible for either an extension based on marriage or an extension based on retirement, what are the most important points of comparison that might make you choose one over the other?

Must you be on a Non-O visa in order to apply for the extension?  Can it be done if you are on a Tourist Visa?

Regarding when to apply for the extension, do you need to do it no earlier than 1 month before the last entry or no later than 1 month before the last entry.

Is the extension 1 year from the granting of the extension, or 1 year from the end of the underlying Non-O visa?

While the application for extension is pending, are there any restrictions on leaving? (i.e. can one of the side trips take place during the time the application is pending?)

After the extension has been granted, can you enter and leave as many times as desired?  Do you need to get any re-entry permission stamps before leaving to ensure ability to re-enter?

Am I correct that there is a 90-day reporting requirement during the 1 year extension period?

Are there any restrictions on how long you can be away, i.e. can you be away for as long as 6-8 months, for example?

As the end of the extension approaches, what is the process to extend your stay?  Do you apply for another extension, or do you have to get a new Non-O visa and extend that?

Thank you very much.

For your trips a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that would give 90 entries for a year from the date of issue might be the best choice. If you got your visa shortly before you leave for your first trip you could get one more entry prior to it expiring. Then extend it for 60 days to visit you wife.

You could also get single entry non-o visas for each trip and then extend that entry for 60 days. If  you wanted to travel you could get a re-entry permit for the entry/extension,.