Visa Overstayer Crackdown & What Bugs Me the Most

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite frankly, I don't understand why it should be so hard to keep track of how long you've been in town and log it on your calendar, so you check in before you overstay.

Before when it was just a fine I was a bit lax myself and had to pay twice for short overstays.

But now that I know they're serious about it, I will be damn sure to get down there and check in prior to the 90 day mark.

We're all adults here (or at least I think so).  Let's act like adults and take care of our responsibilities.

We are guests in Thailand and we have to follow the rules.

If you break the law then you have to pay the consequences.

What I have never understood is people who overstay for months and years.  That's just plain irresponsible and those people deserve to get tossed from the country and not be asked back.

Sorry, are having a go at over stayers yet admit to doing it yourself. But it was only for a little while so it doesn't matter.

So when in your opinion does a crime become a crime ? a week, a month, a year ?

We are guests and have to follow their rules !! is this a new way of thinking? You have admitted to being a criminal in Thailand, why shouldn't you be thrown out of the country.

• Like 2

Quite frankly, I don't understand why it should be so hard to keep track of how long you've been in town and log it on your calendar, so you check in before you overstay.

Before when it was just a fine I was a bit lax myself and had to pay twice for short overstays.

But now that I know they're serious about it, I will be damn sure to get down there and check in prior to the 90 day mark.

We're all adults here (or at least I think so).  Let's act like adults and take care of our responsibilities.

What I have never understood is people who overstay for months and years.  That's just plain irresponsible and those people deserve to get tossed from the country and not be asked back.

Sorry, are having a go at over stayers yet admit to doing it yourself. But it was only for a little while so it doesn't matter.

We are guests and have to follow their rules !! is this a new way of thinking? You have admitted to being a criminal in Thailand, why shouldn't you be thrown out of the country.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you.

Read what I wrote and it's very clear.

I admitted to forgetting a couple times, but for a matter of days, not weeks and months.

Now that it's considered a serious offense it will never happen again.

Now one day is a crime I guess and I'll make sure it doesn't happen.

So yes, I guess I'm a criminal.

Happy?

• Like 1

Pretty sure in the UK they just get deported without a fine- under 28 days they can apply to remain in the UK and extend a visa, more than 90 is usually a ban of a year from returning. Thailand is way harsher, but probably easier to get a visa for initially so it's balances out.

• Like 1

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you.

Read what I wrote and it's very clear.

I admitted to forgetting a couple times, but for a matter of days, not weeks and months.

Now that it's considered a serious offense it will never happen again.

Now one day is a crime I guess and I'll make sure it doesn't happen.

So yes, I guess I'm a criminal.

Happy?

Why would I be happy ? makes no odd's to me.

But I don't get why you would have a go at someone for doing something you have done yourself.

Why not be happy you both managed to get way with it, rather than slagging the other guy off ?

Just for the record, here is what the English translation of the  Immigration Act says about the penalty for overstaying:

Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with permission expired or revoked
shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or
both.

Section 84 : In all offenses under this Act, except the provisions of Section 62 Para.1 Section 63 , 64, 71

and 82 Para.2. The settlement Commission ,consisting of the Police Department’s Director General or
Representative, the Public Prosecution Department’s Director General or Representative, and the
Immigration Division’s Commander or Representative, as the, members shall have the authority to assign
duty of settlement to the Inquiry Official or the competent official by fixing a settlement rule or any
conditions as the Settlement Commission my deem proper.
When the offender has paid the fine as stipulate, the case shall be deemed settled under the
Criminal Procedure Code.

The Immigration Act makes no mention of blacklisting. Therefore, if and when a new rule providing for blacklisting overstayers is introduced, most likely in the form of a Ministerial Order, it will have to be based on another law.

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Because he did it before the crackdown

To be blunt, it is difficult to control a foreigner population if you do not know where they live.

A 30dayer in/out need not report a real place to stay, ever.

Every nation has the right to control its borders and to know where non-citizens stay or live.  It is basic for all nations I have heard about.  USA tries vainly to do same.

All this is mostly about being able to find you.  It also explains the 90day ADDRESS REPORT, which is what that is really.

You should be able to think of many reasons any nation wants to keep track of foreigners.

Ask why would a person enjoying Thailand hospitality want to DISAPPEAR into the nation?  That is, not exist via NO visa of any kind.  What is the advantage?  Why should Thailand want that kind of foreigner here?

• Like 2

I have met one long term overztayer and be was from UK and came and ran out of money, so has worked illegally for ten years and cannot afford a ticket home...What bugs me is that if he was not a Farang noone would notice him.

Bung, on 07 Aug 2014 - 14:27, said:

What is difficult about going home and getting a proper visa?

Seems quite simple to me.

You're the first to reply and the first to miss the point.... Guess you just couldn't think of anything else.

Not everone overstays on purpose. I started working for an agency as a teacher. When I asked them how come I could teach at so many different schools on the same work permit they told me as long as I was teaching no problem. That was true but what they didn't tell me was the work permit was tied to the agency not the schools. Not blaming them, they were and are an excellent agecncy. However, after that I went to an international school to teach high school physics, chemistry and biology. They got me a new work permit. After one year I left (at 66 I found the workload onerous) and went to a really nice government matayom school to teach high school mathematics. I was going through a new agency that had some ethical issues. My work permit was to expire in October after the first semester. They were aware of that but didn't say anything and I wasn't worried because of my misunderstanding. So I get the maximum overstay fine and a big stamp in my passport and the agency gets nothing. Yes I know its my fault for not familiarizing myself with the everchanging and arbitrary regulations. I know that if a Thai person goes to Canada and rents a car, they won't make it thtough the day without a sizeable penalty. So we all have to be careful. At least in Canada the rental agent will get thr police in their face as well.

Everyone, absolutely everyone that overstays do it on purpose, either by their own will or just because they are plain stupid.

I have no symphaty with those who break the law in a country they visit, why this forum touches them with silk gloves is beyond my comprehension. They are the ones making it tougher for all the rest who follow the law.

My myanmar girlfriend got in trouble renewing her ED visa at uni due to some weird rules at the school itself ( you need 9 points to renew ED visa but can in no way obtain them before after 4 months), but did she overstay? No, we did the right thing and left country to obtain a new ED visa for her, case closed.

My point is that if you do NOT have money in backup when abroad, then you should not be abroad in the first place!

Edited by Chillout101
  • Like 2

Went to Chiang Mai Imm today to pick up my Certificate of Residency.  They handed me a stack of blank forms and told me to fill out and sign.  It's a form stating that you have read the penalties for overstaying, which are printed on the form, and you agree to abide by them.  Name, age, date, signature.  No big deal.

a thousand miles walk start with the first step...

you want to be here legit, there are choices

how long can tourists stay in your home country ?  yes ... many overstay overthere, and it is to claim benefits, housing, welfare ... and in thailand, you get nothing, but fined or jailed ...