Embassy letter confirming monthly income - what types of income?

For Austrians - the Austrian embassy will issue a proof of income only if your income is derived from the government - e.g. a government pension.

If you have other income, they don't care. They told me they have no way of verifying and so they won't do it.

For Americans (USA), it couldn't be simpler. You fill out a form at the US embassy saying you make a certain amount per month. You sign it. They give you the official confirmation. They don't check - they take your word for it.

You show them your ID and then write the letter, and then swear it is true. They sign and it is 'notarized' which means they saw you, that you signed it, that they saw your ID, and that you said what you said. A notary public does not verify content of a signed document. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Austrians - the Austrian embassy will issue a proof of income only if your income is derived from the government - e.g. a government pension.

If you have other income, they don't care. They told me they have no way of verifying and so they won't do it.

For Americans (USA), it couldn't be simpler. You fill out a form at the US embassy saying you make a certain amount per month. You sign it. They give you the official confirmation. They don't check - they take your word for it.

The US Embassy does not 'Take your word for it'. It makes no statement at all as to whether your statement is true or not -- just that you swore to such information before a US Consular Official.

The US Embassy in Bangkok will not even authenticate any document from the US Government itself.

Edited by JLCrab

sorry to jump on this only having probs opening a new Topic

QUESTION IDIOTS GUIDE.

HAVE JUST GOT MY 90 DAYS (AGE 67) coming over full time on 24th,

so,  1,  i get my condo, with rent book for 1 year contract

2. go to brit embassy (do i have to have an appointment) get a letter to verify pension income

3. go to bank to verify my 2 months "seasoned" money,

4. go to immigration for 1 year stay based on retirement, and then 90 day reporting i presume

thanks in anticipation

Please can anyone tell me if the British Embassy need to see the original P60 and/or a lettered headed and stamped letter from my employer showing my income?  Would scanned copies actually suffice? I've just tried phoning, but they are closed on Friday afternoons!  Many thanks in advance.

Filko.....I send them copies of my private pension papers that are emailed to me from UK by my

pension provider.

The letters are sent to me as an attachment in pdf format and NOT even signed....The Embassy

accepts it no problem.

Have a Nice Day.

• Like 1

And is that amount "net" income (i.e. after tax) or "gross" income (before tax)?

You have to show bank statements to your Embassy, if the monies are already in your bank you would have surely already paid any tax on it DUH!....

I know that the embassy is not the thai immigration but in my head I see the following situation coming up when asking for this letter:
Oh, you have a salary statement from your employer in Europe? So you are employed in Europe? Why do you want to apply for a one year extension based on marriage that does not allow you to work in Thailand but at the same time your are employed in Europe? Why should your employer in Europe pay you a monthly salary while you are sitting in Thailand doing nothing because you are not allowed to work in Thailand?

Some people complicate things & ask too many questions....Embassy's don't care WHY you want the letter, they are just confirming whatever income you are getting from outside Thailand, YOU are paying them 2,600Baht for this service period....

i just went the income verification (retirement Visa) route after being denied an ED visa. They now want a 4 year degree!!. Anyway, with the income verification form, all the embassy is doing is notarizing your signature. They ask for no proof of funds. You fill out the form, and PUT WHATEVER INCOME YOU WANT, on the form. You sign it in front of them, not before, and they notarize your signature. BTW, if your an American, thats all you need, if not then you also need a bank statement showing 800,000 bht in funds. Americans do not, only the letter. Yes, go to US embassy, fill out income verification form putting down whatever monthly income you want, pay the $50 fee and have it notarized. Then go to Thai immigration and get your retirement visa. Did it all, start to finish from 8am to 10:30 am this Tuesday. It was a breeze. This after spending 14,000 bht flying to Kuala Lumpur and being denied an ED visa.

Yes, go to US embassy, fill out income verification form putting down whatever monthly income you want, pay the $50 fee and have it notarized. Then go to Thai immigration and get your retirement visa. Did it all, start to finish from 8am to 10:30 am this Tuesday. It was a breeze.

Why do you assume that everyone is from the US? Evidently, not everyone is.

This after spending 14,000 bht flying to Kuala Lumpur and being denied an ED visa.

If you had read the forum you would have learned that KL does not issue ED visa for private schools. Your school should also have advised you about that. All the other consulates/embassy do without a problem.

Edited by paz

i just went the income verification (retirement Visa) route after being denied an ED visa. They now want a 4 year degree!!. Anyway, with the income verification form, all the embassy is doing is notarizing your signature. They ask for no proof of funds. You fill out the form, and PUT WHATEVER INCOME YOU WANT, on the form. You sign it in front of them, not before, and they notarize your signature. BTW, if your an American, thats all you need, if not then you also need a bank statement showing 800,000 bht in funds. Americans do not, only the letter. Yes, go to US embassy, fill out income verification form putting down whatever monthly income you want, pay the $50 fee and have it notarized. Then go to Thai immigration and get your retirement visa. Did it all, start to finish from 8am to 10:30 am this Tuesday. It was a breeze. This after spending 14,000 bht flying to Kuala Lumpur and being denied an ED visa.

I realize it is a mere technicality to some, but, if you claim as a monthly income 'whatever your want' before a US Official that is untrue, you have committed a federal felony. Many times, but certainly not always, the US Consular Official before signing your document will ask if you aware that the Thai Immigration Office you will visit has the right to ask for corroborating information.

Please can anyone tell me if the British Embassy need to see the original P60 and/or a lettered headed and stamped letter from my employer showing my income?  Would scanned copies actually suffice? I've just tried phoning, but they are closed on Friday afternoons!  Many thanks in advance.

Nope, it definitely has to be the originals, I'm afraid. That said, they do accept copies of tenancy agreements as supporting evidence for property rental income given that the originals will most likely be held by managing agents back in the UK.

A word of warning about using the P60 as income evidence, though. This will be based on the previous year's rates and will therefore not reflect any increases in the current year. Not likely to be an issue as regards the State Pension, of course, since we are debarred from receiving the annual increases here in Thailand. But could be one with an occupational pension.

Not entirely true, I rent out properties in the UK, I recently applied for this letter from the British Embassy in Bangkok, all I sent them was the Application form which I downloaded from their web site & the last 12 months of my UK Bank statements high lighting income going into said account

"Dear sir

Mr Hairy B.o.l.l.o.c.k.s.

This is to confirm that Mr Hairy B.o.l.l.o.c.k.s. , holder of British Passport No 99999999 issued by the Identity and Passport Service on 10 June 2010, is recognised as a British Citizen.

Mr Hairy B.o.l.l.o.c.k.s. has stated that he resides at Blah Blah Blah Thailand.

Mr Hairy B.o.l.l.o.c.k.s. has also stated that he receives monthly income totalling GBP 999,999.00 and has shown us electronic banking statement stating that he receives incomes totalling GBP 999,999.00 per annum.

The British Embassy would be grateful for any assistance you can provide Mr Hairy B.o.l.l.o.c.k.s."

Edited by Jip66
  • Like 1

whistling.gif  For the U.S. embassy income letter there is an important distinction here you need to understand.

That is, the U.S. embassy does NOT confirm the amount or source of \what you claim as income.

All they do confirm is this:

• That you appeared before them and made a statement
  • That they verified your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen. (you are who you claim you are)
  • And that the statement you made to them is what you said to them.  (and this is what you said to them....)

They DO NOT confirm the validity of the facts you gave them either to AMOUNT OF INCOME or the SOURCE of that income;

That means, if immigration contests your statement, and wants further evidence to justify your income source or amount the U.S. embassy will NOT defend you or and as a witness for that defense.

Just know that fact, and don't think that that income statement you get from the U.S. embassy is your PROOF of income.

• Like 1

Showing the passbook with a balance of 120k in incoming transactions per month, will work ? going to my embassy just not work the transactions come from different sources and mainly 75% from US

I have some contracts too but with a lot of legal slang with different prices per hours no minum or maximun amount of hours

I see here the typical "western" approach to bureaucracy, worrying about substance, and reversal of roles, "if I was the IO"

Well, you are not him/her, you're the applicant. You only have to prepare an application that is spotless, and with that I mean that "it looks good" literally.

Clearly written. dates matching. Forms filled in full, clear copies, "back-up documents" kept separated to not add confusion, and given only if asked. If using a bank account get the letter the same day, make sure you have not  used it at all for the previous three months. Just use a separate account for any other need. Dress nicely, what about skipping the nasty bermuda and sandals for a day. 

And finally why worrying before he fact. First, you get the information. Then you prepare and present the application. If it is refused, take exact note of what has to be corrected, fix it and you will be all set.

I agree with you to a certain degree and I started this thread ;-)

But ...

Let's say you are staying with your Thai wife in Europe and plan the next year or more in Thailand.

You apply for a single entry Non O in Europe.

You fly to Thailand and your plan is to apply for a 1 year extension after two months (?) and then you find out that your source of income is not suitable to get a letter - or even worse gets rejected by Thai immigration.

That is a big risk to take.

So ... I don't like it but I have to "worry" before taking the next steps.

"If it is refused, take exact note of what has to be corrected, fix it and you will be all set."

Well, what might this plan B be then? A multiple entry Non O based on marriage? With border runs? Border runs is not exactly a save way to stay in Thailand at the moment (how can we know when they crackdown on border runs on an Non O?).

Oh, and on a sidenote: I am always dressed appropriate ... at immigration or in a pub or elsewhere ;-)

if you have a non o 1 year multi entry visa, why they should crack down you?

if you scare like this then dont come to thailand, they can crack down extension also, 

when you have a non o visa then you already in Embassy give all nessesary papers and they should proved it, 

and that it is law to leave the country every 90 days is the problem of thailand, you not break any law if you cross the border and come back. 

you only do what they require

Showing the passbook with a balance of 120k in incoming transactions per month, will work ? going to my embassy just not work the transactions come from different sources and mainly 75% from US

I have some contracts too but with a lot of legal slang with different prices per hours no minum or maximun amount of hours

If you make that nice money just save to get to 400K (if married) and you will have nothing to prove or certify.

And, didn't you signed for Thai language school ?

And is that amount "net" income (i.e. after tax) or "gross" income (before tax)?

You have to show bank statements to your Embassy, if the monies are already in your bank you would have surely already paid any tax on it DUH!....

You do not have to show bank statements. Income documentation from the providers will show gross income, and are perfectly acceptable.

• Like 1

It can be pretty much anything. But you have to check first with you embassy/consulate as there are differencea among countries on what they do and don't.

Sorry all, if this is a repeat, but I asked before and received no definitive answer.

I intend to come to Thailand in October, with the proof of income and get an Embassy letter to go to immigration for the retirement visa.

Can this all be done with my standard 30 day visa and nothing else?

From the current & soon-to-be-in-effect Police Order

The alien: (1) Must have been granted a nonimmigrant visa (NONIM)

So either you need an Non Imm visa or convert your visa exempt at an Imm office.

It can be pretty much anything. But you have to check first with you embassy/consulate as there are differencea among countries on what they do and don't.

Sorry all, if this is a repeat, but I asked before and received no definitive answer.

I intend to come to Thailand in October, with the proof of income and get an Embassy letter to go to immigration for the retirement visa.

If you come in and get a 30 day exempt entry you will only have 15 days to do the conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry.

Then about 60 days after you get the 90 day entry you can apply for a extension of stay,

It would be better to get a single entry tourist visa.

I see here the typical "western" approach to bureaucracy, worrying about substance, and reversal of roles, "if I was the IO"

Well, you are not him/her, you're the applicant. You only have to prepare an application that is spotless, and with that I mean that "it looks good" literally.

Clearly written. dates matching. Forms filled in full, clear copies, "back-up documents" kept separated to not add confusion, and given only if asked. If using a bank account get the letter the same day, make sure you have not  used it at all for the previous three months. Just use a separate account for any other need. Dress nicely, what about skipping the nasty bermuda and sandals for a day. 

And finally why worrying before he fact. First, you get the information. Then you prepare and present the application. If it is refused, take exact note of what has to be corrected, fix it and you will be all set.

But ...

Let's say you are staying with your Thai wife in Europe and plan the next year or more in Thailand.

You fly to Thailand and your plan is to apply for a 1 year extension after two months (?) and then you find out that your source of income is not suitable to get a letter - or even worse gets rejected by Thai immigration.

"If it is refused, take exact note of what has to be corrected, fix it and you will be all set."

Well, what might this plan B be then? A multiple entry Non O based on marriage? With border runs? Border runs is not exactly a save way to stay in Thailand at the moment (how can we know when they crackdown on border runs on an Non O?).

Oh, and on a sidenote: I am always dressed appropriate ... at immigration or in a pub or elsewhere ;-)

You are making this extremely difficult for yourself and for us to answer.  Please state the real situation rather than theoretical ones.  Everything depends on your embassy's requirements for the proof of income letter. Thai immigrations have been accepting such letters for years in lieu of lots of confusing details in a non-Thai language for them to sort through.

Contact your embassy and ask them what they need.

If you are not yet in Thailand, contact the Thai consulate/embassy you wish to deal with and ask them what proof of income paperwork they need.

Not sure if your last piece of advice is good as it would only confuse the issue. E.g: When applying for an over 50 retirement visa  in the UK which is now O-A, they will not accept rental income as valid, but once in Thailand it is valid. Applying in the UK I presume they only accept earned income or benefits or work pension(s) as valid. But most people earning in the UK would be unable to retire in Thailand because they must be working in the UK for that income! But this is logical and if u think too much  and try to apply logic to Thailand, as the OP is doing, your head will soon explode!

Nope, it definitely has to be the originals, I'm afraid. That said, they do accept copies of tenancy agreements as supporting evidence for property rental income given that the originals will most likely be held by managing agents back in the UK.

A word of warning about using the P60 as income evidence, though. This will be based on the previous year's rates and will therefore not reflect any increases in the current year. Not likely to be an issue as regards the State Pension, of course, since we are debarred from receiving the annual increases here in Thailand. But could be one with an occupational pension.

Not entirely true, I rent out properties in the UK, I recently applied for this letter from the British Embassy in Bangkok, all I sent them was the Application form which I downloaded from their web site & the last 12 months of my UK Bank statements high lighting income going into said account

"Dear sir

Mr Hairy B.o.l.l.o.c.k.s.

This is to confirm that Mr Hairy B.o.l.l.o.c.k.s. , holder of British Passport No 99999999 issued by the Identity and Passport Service on 10 June 2010, is recognised as a British Citizen.

Mr Hairy B.o.l.l.o.c.k.s. has stated that he resides at Blah Blah Blah Thailand.

Mr Hairy B.o.l.l.o.c.k.s. has also stated that he receives monthly income totalling GBP 999,999.00 and has shown us electronic banking statement stating that he receives incomes totalling GBP 999,999.00 per annum.

The British Embassy would be grateful for any assistance you can provide Mr Hairy B.o.l.l.o.c.k.s."

Well, all I can say is that the Embassy have definitely accepted tenancy agreement copies relating to my rented-out house as sufficient income proof without any problem for a number of years now!

You do not have to show bank statements. Income documentation from the providers will show gross income, and are perfectly acceptable.

Indeed, providers' documentation showing gross income is, I think, preferable to bank statements which, of course, only show net figures after the jolly old taxman at HMRC has taken his share.

You can see on the BE website that they have a Form to fill in for the various income streams.

As far as docs are concerned print out your bank statements, assuming you have an online account and highlight the various pension and other income streams in different colours. If you have a property rented out get your letting agent to email you the invoices and print them out too. If you want to use P60's then send the originals although they could be nearly a year out of date.

No problems with any of that I've been doing it for a number of years.

Send a covering letter with your full address a list of all the various income sources with the gross amounts and the Total amount. Sometimes they make a mistake with the letter! 

Additionally state the date of your extension too. They state it is a 3 week turnaround. The fee is stated on their website, currently 2,520(?)  baht plus 100 baht for return postage, to be made by Postal Order, full details on their website.

If you come in and get a 30 day exempt entry you will only have 15 days to do the conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry.

Then about 60 days after you get the 90 day entry you can apply for a extension of stay,

Sorry to digress again, but can this route be used for 1st application for Over 50 Retirement visa or just over 65 Retirement visa?

Sorry to digress again, but can this route be used for 1st application for Over 50 Retirement visa or just over 65 Retirement visa?

The discussion is about extensions of stay not visas. It is the same for all ages 50 or over.

The only place where being 65 or over makes a difference is in the UK to get a multiple entry non-o visa.

But ...

You are making this extremely difficult for yourself and for us to answer.  Please state the real situation rather than theoretical ones.  Everything depends on your embassy's requirements for the proof of income letter. Thai immigrations have been accepting such letters for years in lieu of lots of confusing details in a non-Thai language for them to sort through.

Contact your embassy and ask them what they need.

If you are not yet in Thailand, contact the Thai consulate/embassy you wish to deal with and ask them what proof of income paperwork they need.

Not sure if your last piece of advice is good as it would only confuse the issue. E.g: When applying for an over 50 retirement visa  in the UK which is now O-A, they will not accept rental income as valid, but once in Thailand it is valid. Applying in the UK I presume they only accept earned income or benefits or work pension(s) as valid. But most people earning in the UK would be unable to retire in Thailand because they must be working in the UK for that income! But this is logical and if u think too much  and try to apply logic to Thailand, as the OP is doing, your head will soon explode!

My last piece of advice was to get the information on his specific situation straight from the horse's mouth rather than presumed knowledge in here -- especially since the OP has persistently commented on differing situations.

It is the monthly income you bring in to thailand, after all taxes ,not difficult to understand , you must be able to prove this by showing bank statements.

If you make that nice money just save to get to 400K (if married) and you will have nothing to prove or certify.

And, didn't you signed for Thai language school ?

I can't married twice, no laws about divorce or completely wrong in my country... young mistakes

I would married my GF if I can, I want to try another year before having children (we are close to be 3 years together)

There is another possibility? In New Zealand I saw visas that you need to prove being a long time couple (instead of being married) with pictures and others documents, we have the same stamps in our passports from the latest 3 years that can prove that

...and yes already signed, just looking for a good plan B

You can see on the BE website that they have a Form to fill in for the various income streams.

As far as docs are concerned print out your bank statements, assuming you have an online account and highlight the various pension and other income streams in different colours. If you have a property rented out get your letting agent to email you the invoices and print them out too. If you want to use P60's then send the originals although they could be nearly a year out of date.

No problems with any of that I've been doing it for a number of years.

Send a covering letter with your full address a list of all the various income sources with the gross amounts and the Total amount. Sometimes they make a mistake with the letter! 

Additionally state the date of your extension too. They state it is a 3 week turnaround. The fee is stated on their website, currently 2,520(?)  baht plus 100 baht for return postage, to be made by Postal Order, full details on their website.

Probably to cover themselves. A few weeks ago I got my letter back exactly 7 days after I posted it.

This is the link to the UK Embassy Thailand page: Consular Letter Confirming Pension/Income for Thai Immigration

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/301359/Publication._Pension_2014._Master.pdf

Thanks for that, I was about to search for it and you`ve saved me the effort.

It actually seems  straightforward.

I`ll be starting the process in a week or so, with provable income from share dividends, property rental and some bank interest..

Entering Thailand tomorrow on a single entry tourist visa after having done a fair bit of travelling around, gives me plenty of time to get everything done.

I`ll report back how I get on, not envisaging any problems.