Bangkok cab driver admits robbing American tourists at gunpoint

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a special kind of dumb. So..if a murderer gets less than 10 years, an armed robber should get what??? 1 week in a health farm? It's only a farang afterall

If so,  why Thailand have 3times more incarcerated people per capita than any european countrycoffee1.gif

Not so many Hi-So. Mostly poor unable to afford defense lawyer or access to govt funded lawyer as in  Europe.  coffee1.gif

OK, sorry I did not know Taxi drivers were considered Hi-So, but thank to TV one can learn more every day coffee1.gif

One of the reasons I stay close to MRT and bus routes... 99% of taxi drivers are great, in my experience, but the 1% that act strange make me very leery. As much as I hate being a sardine in the MRT at 5-9 PM I would rather be a sardine than a victim. Especially later at night...

Robbery at nighttime? Does this carry a different tariff to robbery in the daytime?

I know in the US & UK sometimes crimes such as burglary have stiffer penalties if they are done at night.

I thought daylight robbery was the more serious offence.

No, that's just more brazen.
  • Like 1

Robbery at nighttime? Does this carry a different tariff to robbery in the daytime?

I know in the US & UK sometimes crimes such as burglary have stiffer penalties if they are done at night.

Really? I am not doubting you, I just did not know that? Is it because of police overtime? giggle.gif

In fact in many jurisdictions night time was a requirement for the crime to be burglary, otherwise it is just theft.

It's due to the fact that more burglaries and robberies happen at night time. 

That's a special kind of dumb. So..if a murderer gets less than 10 years, an armed robber should get what??? 1 week in a health farm? It's only a farang afterall

If so,  why Thailand have 3times more incarcerated people per capita than any european countrycoffee1.gif

Because they have more criminals. Or is that too obvious??

• Like 2

Lol Same knucklehead tried to Rob me but I B-tch slapped him. Noticed straight away gun was toy.  Hey at my age don't give a damn anymore. Figured that would straighten him out guessed wrong. Hope you got KY boy going to need it in Remand. They going to love you long time and nightly.

Course you did sunshine. Now before you regale us with any more of your heroic actions are you ex-Delta, ex-SEAL or ex-SAS? Of course I understand even though you are no longer an "operator" I am sure you are here on loan in Thailand for a special assignment that a man of only your unique skill set would be able to complete. 

• Like 1

Because they have more criminals. Or is that too obvious??

OK, so not all of them go to health farm?

Ahhh, The USA.  The Land of the Free and The Home of the highest number of incarcerated individuals in the world.  ermm.gif

Ahhh, The USA.  The Land of the Free and The Home of the highest number of incarcerated individuals in the world.  ermm.gif

I think Thailand is like 2nd or 3rd behind the US.

Ahhh, I just KNEW the America-haters would have to get their plug in.   Well done! 

And they wonder why tourist don't come here.

Who wonders? Taxis haven't changed much in a very long time and Thailand made the top 10 last year for most visited tourist country in the world.

I'm talking about Thai government and TAT http://www.tourismthailand.org/ They always complain about how tourism is down and this is one of the many many reasons bell end.

And they wonder why tourist don't come here.

Who wonders? Taxis haven't changed much in a very long time and Thailand made the top 10 last year for most visited tourist country in the world.

I'm talking about Thai government and TAT http://www.tourismthailand.org/ They always complain about how tourism is down and this is one of the many many reasons bell end.

Again, I actually think TAT has for many years been talking about how the numbers are up or expected to be up even more. The decline currently is rare and has absolutely nothing to do with crime or criminal taxi drivers.

Few people come to Thailand because they want to visit a city with perfect taxis and strong government/police enforcement, they can pay for that at home or go to Singapore. They come to Thailand because of its quirks, freedoms, risk and adventure and lower costs which people know would not be as low if things were all of western standards ... not like they don't have criminal from all job types in the west too.

If people based their travel plans on one off crime incidents in a country they'd never leave their house.

In many many years the only thing that has seemed to effect tourist numbers from going up from the previous year are recession, political instability (riots) and natural events like the Tsunami and Sars. 15 Years ago there was about 8 Million tourist arrivals to Thailand, last year it was almost 27 Million. Tourism used to be about 6% of GDP and now is closer to 10%. Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1