Acme Ltd, Trading As Xxxxx

My Thai limited company has a very boring name which seems unrelated to the business that it trades in. Is it legal in Thailand to use a trading name when conducting business?

For example, I have a hotel named 'xxxx' which is owned by my ltd company. I don't want to set up a new ltd company with the name of this hotel, especially as I probably will have further business under the same ltd company in the future.

If allowed, what steps do I need to take to ensure that this is legal in Thailand? And how can I protect my trading name?

cheers - Simon

Your company name and the business "label" should not neccesarily be the same; There are many cases that the known business name is one, while the company name is another. For example, jobthai.com's company name is "Thinknet co., ltd". Bangkok Post's company name is "The Post Publishing public Co., Ltd".

I don't think there is a legal problem with you using a Hotel name unrelated to the company name, but if it's not registered as a trademark you don't own it. Anyone can use it and more than that, might register it themselves and stop you from using it.

Regsitering a trademark is a long procedure, to do it properly better seek professional legal advice.

Edited by ~G~

Your company name and the business "label" should not neccesarily be the same; There are many cases that the known business name is one, while the company name is another. For example, jobthai.com's company name is "Thinknet co., ltd". Bangkok Post's company name is "The Post Publishing public Co., Ltd".

I don't think there is a legal problem with you using a Hotel name unrelated to the company name, but if it's not registered as a trademark you don't own it. Anyone can use it and more than that, might register it themselves and stop you from using it.

Regsitering a trademark is a long procedure, to do it properly better seek professional legal advice.

Hi Simon,

"G" is correct.

As you are a client of ours, happy to do the trademark. Takes a year for the approval, but you are protected the day we apply for you.

www.lawyer.th.com