Skype ditches XP SP2 users.

FlorC

Got locked out of skype yesterday. Need to update..but the lastest versions from 6.13 to 6.18 will not work with win XP SP 2. ( and no I will not update to SP 3)

Yes there is already another post a while ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744818-your-desktop-version-of-skype-is-being-retired/

But this just happened 7th of august. Another way microsoft is trying to bully us out of a good working OS but it won't work!

My question for winXP SP2 users here in Thailand is : What are you using as an alternative to skype?

Easy install, small program that has no problems with your webcam/microphone, no extra crapware ?

(Comments about updating to sp3 or w7 or 8 will be ignored)

Thanks winXP'ers

Same thing just happened to me, reformatted my drive this morning, been re-installing all my apps from saved downloaded files since then.

The copy of Skype I used and liked would install but wouldn't log in as Skype said it was too old, and the updated installer gave an error on installation which I looked up and it said I needed to install SP3.

I do not want SP3.

I'm hoping they will remove the 'too old' restriction after they get a deluge of complaints.

I'm hoping they will remove the 'too old' restriction after they get a deluge of complaints.

Not in this life.

And that's good, why should they support a more than outdated OS (not even SP3.....ridiculous), which won't receive any more security patches/updates in the future?

If you don't want to update to "sp3 or w7 or 8", what's about Vista? laugh.png

Seriously, childish ignorance and putting your head in the sand won't help you and your potential "Spambot OS" (XP)

Stop whining and update your machine!

The time for XP is over after 13 years.

Edited by roban
  • Like 2

goober seems a good alternative  it wants to be more of a social networking tool. The built-in instant messenger can communicate with AIM, MSN, ICQ, Jabber, Google Talk, Yahoo! and more. You can link and interact with Facebook and Twitter straight through goober, too. goober is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

• Like 1

I'm on the OPs side,I'm getting heartily sick of these systems which,nearly every time I want to do something, tell me I have 'upgrade'to their new system or want me to 'sync' with some other system they assume I've got.
I don't wanna change my OS, I'm very happy with the one I've got, thankyou very much, it took me about 12 months to become compatible with the system I've got and now you want me to ....'upgrade' ??
I don't think so.....I'd rather go back to snail mail.
And all of these people pushing 'social networking' ,now that's a worry, sounds too much like ......'control'.

I'm with you.  I like xp myself, although I use win7 on most of my computers.  This is just another attempt by MS to force Win8 down people's throats.  XP was a damn good operating system.  RE instant messenger programs, there are several that you can use as an alternative to skype.  Have you checked out Trillian or Diggsby? 

^^

Especially because there is absolutely NO REASON, NOT to update to Win7, if you don't want Win 8.1.

"I don't like it" is just nonsense and childish.

But ok, if somebody can point out a serious reason to keep Win XP.....?

Can you?

And no, 20 years old hardware, which is no longer supported under modern OS's is definitely no argument.

... XP was a damn good operating system.....

And this is exactly the point: was...but since XP get's no longer updates and security fixes, it's dead and extremely risky to use.

Period.

whistling.gif

Edited by roban

^^

Especially because there is absolutely NO REASON, NOT to update to Win7, if you don't want Win 8.1.

"I don't like it" is just nonsense and childish.

But ok, if somebody can point out a serious reason to keep Win XP.....?

Can you?

And no, 20 years old hardware, which is no longer supported under modern OS's is definitely no argument.

... XP was a damn good operating system.....

And this is exactly the point: was...but since XP get's no longer updates and security fixes, it's dead and extremely risky to use.

Period.

whistling.gif

I'd rather have a 20 year old Mercedes than a month old Honda.

Hey, I didn't start this post to open the discussion again about XP and other OS's. nor the disadvantages of SP3.

I have searched for other programs like skype and can find more than 10 . Most don't specificly that they work with SP2.

What I do want is some input ( experiences) of OTHER XP SP2 users who are like me , locked out of skype.

This is for computer to computer audio calls ( and webcamvideo , but not so important).

We're all expats here , and skype was an easy way for free calls to home.

Remember that on the other site of our calls there are people who need to be computer savvy to install an alternative too.

Edited by FlorC

You do not have to upgrade. Skype has every right to decide that it is not going to make a program any more that works on XP or for that matter the Commodore 64 language.

You have a choice. Stop using it or upgrade.  

What gives you the right to complain about what a company does with a program which although it can be used to telephone numbers by paying for it is mostly used for free to talk computer to computer.

I suggest you ask for a refund.

You've locked yourself out of Skype because you have an aversion to installing a SIX year old service pack update to Windows XP? Skype won't be listening and why would they listen. The security issues now for anyone expecting to run a long outdated version of Windows (XP SP2) that hasn't been kept up to date are reason enough.

Just test a few of the alternatives until you find something that meets your requirements or do a search on the internet for older versions of Skype and reinstall. 

Hey, I didn't start this post to open the discussion again about XP and other OS's. nor the disadvantages of SP3.

I have searched for other programs like skype and can find more than 10 . Most don't specificly that they work with SP2.

What I do want is some input ( experiences) of OTHER XP SP2 users who are like me , locked out of skype.

This is for computer to computer audio calls ( and webcamvideo , but not so important).

We're all expats here , and skype was an easy way for free calls to home.

Remember that on the other site of our calls there are people who need to be computer savvy to install an alternative too.

There is a PC version of LINE. It's free and does want you want. It still works with SP2.

You do not have to upgrade. Skype has every right to decide that it is not going to make a program any more that works on XP or for that matter the Commodore 64 language.

You have a choice. Stop using it or upgrade.  

What gives you the right to complain about what a company does with a program which although it can be used to telephone numbers by paying for it is mostly used for free to talk computer to computer.

I suggest you ask for a refund.

The issue isn't that it doesn't work.  The issue is that it worked last week and they have deliberately changed something so that it doesn't work.

Just like they changed the .xls format to .xlsx format.  No significant improvement in functionality, just a nuisance to keep us upgrading  $$$.  (Corel and Adobe are even worse)

It would be as if my 5, 10, or 20 year old vehicle suddenly couldn't run because Ford programmed the EECIV ignition system to crap out when they want me to buy a new car.

• Like 1

Install one of the free Linux OS eg Ubuntu or Xubuntu. Install it side by side with your XP. With XP as your option of first Boot system. Boot Ubuntu or Xubuntu when every you want to use Skype.

Even better, take a look at Linux Mint - very much like XP in look and feel.  Skype definitely works with Mint 17 Qiana - I've got it on my laptop.  You can dual-boot with XP of course so what have you got to lose!

DM

Just curious, but what is wrong with SP3?

When it was released in 2008 some people had problems with it, but that was six years ago. I re-installed XP on an old laptop a few months ago and installing SP3 and all the remaining updates went smoothly so unless you have a specific hardware problem or you're trying to update a pirated version of Windows then I'm not sure why it would be a problem for anyone now. I know I wouldn't want to be using an operating system that hadn't been patched for years.

When it was released in 2008 some people had problems with it, but that was six years ago. I re-installed XP on an old laptop a few months ago and installing SP3 and all the remaining updates went smoothly so unless you have a specific hardware problem or you're trying to update a pirated version of Windows then I'm not sure why it would be a problem for anyone now. I know I wouldn't want to be using an operating system that hadn't been patched for years.

"...or you're trying to update a pirated version of Windows..." and I would wager that is the reason the OP (and others) refuse to can not update their o/s.

So with deference to the Luddites using cracked/cloned XP on their huge towers (literally) of 486 power who can't begin to comprehend why .xlxs is so different from .xls format (don't even get me started on .xlsm), take a look at www.filehippo.com and pick a 'legacy' version of Skype and after uninstalling the one that refuses to accommodate your perfectly usable but perilously dated o/s, install the old stuff. Sorted!

And stop, please, please, PLEASE stop updating stuff when you already know you're on a hiding for nothing and your preferences will deny you any sort of happy ending.

"...or you're trying to update a pirated version of Windows..." and I would wager that is the reason the OP (and others) refuse to can not update their o/s.

Yepp, I guess this is the real reason and not the "I don't like it" BS.

From people like the OP (and others) you will never get any serious answers to the "why don't you just update your OS" question...

Maybe apart from an arrogant statement like:

I hope , I will never have to use an USB stick/hard disc which was formerly connected to a machine with such a crappy, unpatched system  like the OP's one...

Well done MS, continue to lock out all these ignorant XP users! clap2.gif

The time is ripe, that this, now unsafe, potential "spambot" OS disappears from the market.

Edited by roban

If that really is his problem, he needs to use the mutli-machine SP3 update, and not the single machine update. The multi version works on single PCs also.

Just nuts that some of you are still using xp while I have been using 8.1 for quite a while.

^^ maybe it's not as easy like before, to get a pirated copy up and running reliable?

tongue.png

If that really is his problem, he needs to use the mutli-machine SP3 update

Even with the SP3, the OP is left with an insecure and unpatched OS.

XP is dead...realize it.

Edited by roban

Just nuts that some of you are still using xp while I have been using 8.1 for quite a while.

^^ maybe it's not as easy like before, to get a pirated copy up and running reliable?
tongue.png

If that really is his problem, he needs to use the mutli-machine SP3 update

Even with the SP3, the OP is left with an insecure and unpatched OS.
XP is dead...realize it.

i didn't pay for my 8.1

Yepp, I guess this is the real reason and not the "I don't like it" BS.

From people like the OP (and others) you will never get any serious answers to the "why don't you just update your OS" question...

Maybe apart from an arrogant statement like:

I hope , I will never have to use an USB stick/hard disc which was formerly connected to a machine with such a crappy, unpatched system  like the OP's one...

Well done MS, continue to lock out all these ignorant XP users! clap2.gif

The time is ripe, that this, now unsafe, potential "spambot" OS disappears from the market.

Nope.

I have an original XP CD (still have the box)

About six months ago, I bought a 1TB drive which came with a piece of back-up software that looked quite interesting, it insisted on requiring SP3 to run, so I got it (from MS) and installed it.

To say that it screwed up my PC is putting it mildly (it is a named brand and not cobbled together in a back street shop as you may next infer)

I did a fresh erase and install of XP with SP2 and then SP3, nothing else, it still misbehaved, and when I added some software that I really like to use, it fell over again.

Thankfully I had already manually copied all my files, including 200 gigs of mp3's and thousands of photographs, so I didn't lose anything apart from the amount of time wasted.

I will not be doing it again, and rest assured sir, that you will not be getting any flash drives from me as I am not sure what they would come back with.