Skype ditches XP SP2 users.

FlorC

I do hate to interrupt this impressive parade of e-penises, so please excuse for a moment a lowly attempt to answer the OP's original question,

Friend of mine, a computer illiterate, previous Skype user, has been using Oovoo for more than a year now and really likes it: http://www.oovoo.com/download.aspx.

Supposed to work on WinXP, didn't see an restriction as to SP. He did use on XP SP3 and then Win 7. So looks like a possible alternative.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

^^

Especially because there is absolutely NO REASON, NOT to update to Win7, if you don't want Win 8.1.

"I don't like it" is just nonsense and childish.

But ok, if somebody can point out a serious reason to keep Win XP.....?

Can you?

And no, 20 years old hardware, which is no longer supported under modern OS's is definitely no argument.

... XP was a damn good operating system.....

And this is exactly the point: was...but since XP get's no longer updates and security fixes, it's dead and extremely risky to use.

Period.

whistling.gif

Software that doesn't work on newer windows, as they aren't fully compatible to each other....

^^

Especially because there is absolutely NO REASON, NOT to update to Win7, if you don't want Win 8.1.

"I don't like it" is just nonsense and childish.

But ok, if somebody can point out a serious reason to keep Win XP.....?

Can you?

And no, 20 years old hardware, which is no longer supported under modern OS's is definitely no argument.

... XP was a damn good operating system.....

And this is exactly the point: was...but since XP get's no longer updates and security fixes, it's dead and extremely risky to use.

Period.

whistling.gif

Software that doesn't work on newer windows, as they aren't fully compatible to each other....

And what software have you got that doesn't run in XP mode?

There is software which requires low level access to hardware, and others that rely on 16-bit routines, which won't work on Windows 7.

Saying that XP SP2 to XP SP3 is a no brainier and Windows 7 is Microsoft's best ever O/S without a doubt.

Edited by RandomSand

There is software which requires low level access to hardware, and others that rely on 16-bit routines, which won't work on Windows 7.

Saying that XP SP2 to XP SP3 is a no brainier and Windows 7 is Microsoft's best ever O/S without a doubt.

The only one I've seen is a CAD application that we bought that is no longer supported; having said that the vendor told us we couldn't even update to SP3 but I found a way round it.

I'm sure they are just holding out to get us to buy a new one, and if I had the time I'd probably be able to get it working on Win 7 as well.

Otherwise such applications are few and far between and I doubt anyone who's posted here is using one.

"...or you're trying to update a pirated version of Windows..." and I would wager that is the reason the OP (and others) refuse to can not update their o/s.

Yepp, I guess this is the real reason and not the "I don't like it" BS.

From people like the OP (and others) you will never get any serious answers to the "why don't you just update your OS" question...

Maybe apart from an arrogant statement like:

(Comments about updating to sp3 or w7 or 8 will be ignored)

I hope , I will never have to use an USB stick/hard disc which was formerly connected to a machine with such a crappy, unpatched system  like the OP's one...

Well done MS, continue to lock out all these ignorant XP users! clap2.gif

The time is ripe, that this, now unsafe, potential "spambot" OS disappears from the market.

Nope.

I have an original XP CD (still have the box)

About six months ago, I bought a 1TB drive which came with a piece of back-up software that looked quite interesting, it insisted on requiring SP3 to run, so I got it (from MS) and installed it.

To say that it screwed up my PC is putting it mildly (it is a named brand and not cobbled together in a back street shop as you may next infer)

I did a fresh erase and install of XP with SP2 and then SP3, nothing else, it still misbehaved, and when I added some software that I really like to use, it fell over again.

Thankfully I had already manually copied all my files, including 200 gigs of mp3's and thousands of photographs, so I didn't lose anything apart from the amount of time wasted.

I will not be doing it again, and rest assured sir, that you will not be getting any flash drives from me as I am not sure what they would come back with.

This is very surprising. I myself have used XP (SP3) for years, and the place I work for had more than 5000+ pc's working on XP (SP3) without any problems.

But after XP died, I am on 8.1

Which one?

And this software is how old?

15+ years?

I guess, this is not a consumer  software and if somebody really needs it nowadays, he should at least be clever enough, to disconnect his "Dinosaur Pc" from any network!

Or he should just get an update, which runs on machines/OS, younger than 10 years...

However, this case is not valid for the OP.

He is just whining because of missing Skype support.

Som nam na...laugh.png

Which one?

15+ years?

I guess, this is not a consumer  software and if somebody really needs it nowadays, he should at least be clever enough, to disconnect his "Dinosaur Pc" from any network!

Or he should just get an update, which runs on machines/OS, younger than 10 years...

Som nam na...laugh.png

You have all the qualities of an IT telephone help-desk operator.

Completely oblivious to the fact that not everyone uses 'mainstream consumer software' alone.

Some of us have hobbies that mean much more than just knocking out an email, or posting wanton insults on an internet forum.

I am a musician, I have apps that I like, they do exactly what I need them to do, they all run perfectly well under my current PC configuration, they do not work with SP3, and there are no updates for them to do so.

So, do I ditch them, or, when the need arises, ask a perfectly simple question about one app that no longer works?

As far as the OP is concerned, you have been no help whatsoever.

Perfect help-desk worker, answer doesn't appear on a list, no idea what to do apart from 'get with the times granddad' and no empathy shown at all.

I worked in IT support for nearly three decades, both for MS and Apple, if you worked for me, I would fire you in a heartbeat just for your attitude and its obvious display via your last emoticon.

Which one?

15+ years?

Som nam na...laugh.png

You have all the qualities of an IT telephone help-desk operator.

Completely oblivious to the fact that not everyone uses 'mainstream consumer software' alone.

Some of us have hobbies that mean much more than just knocking out an email, or posting wanton insults on an internet forum.

I am a musician, I have apps that I like, they do exactly what I need them to do, they all run perfectly well under my current PC configuration, they do not work with SP3, and there are no updates for them to do so.

So, do I ditch them, or, when the need arises, ask a perfectly simple question about one app that no longer works?

As far as the OP is concerned, you have been no help whatsoever.

Perfect help-desk worker, answer doesn't appear on a list, no idea what to do apart from 'get with the times granddad' and no empathy shown at all.

I worked in IT support for nearly three decades, both for MS and Apple, if you worked for me, I would fire you in a heartbeat just for your attitude and its obvious display via your last emoticon.

If you worked in IT Support and told people to keep unpatched (and unpatchable) software on their computers, I'd fire you in a heartbeat for being incompetent.

thumbsup.gif

// snip //

This is the exact situation I had in mind.

I have the following that do not work in Windows 7...

Yamaha sw1000xg PCI soundcard (no drivers)

Turtlebeach Santacruz waveblaster PCI soundcard (no drivers)

Soundquest 8x8 parallel-port MIDI interface (yes you guessed it, no drivers)

Gary Gregson's XDEdit 95. (uses 16 bit code for MIDI and SYS-EX fails under Win-7)

However these ALL work in in XP service pack 3.

I'd love you to tell me which software/hardware only works in XP sp2.

Edited by RandomSand

Respect folks! We have an IT dinosaur Special Forces guy in our midst.

• Like 1

This is the exact situation I had in mind.

I have the following that do not work in Windows 7...

Yamaha sw1000xg PCI soundcard (no drivers)

Turtlebeach Santacruz waveblaster PCI soundcard (no drivers)

Soundquest 8x8 parallel-port MIDI interface (yes you guessed it, no drivers)

Gary Gregson's XDEdit 95. (uses 16 bit code for MIDI and SYS-EX fails under Win-7)

However these ALL work in in XP service pack 3.

Well, antiquated hardware....

I hope you have at least disconnected this machine from your network/internet.

And I guess, you don't need to run Skype on it?

SP3 or SP2 or SP zero is eventually the same....all of them won't be patched any more and are dead!

I have a 500mb Simpletech hard drive which worked XP but would not get recognised in Vista.

Yet when Windows 7 comes along up it comes, and it still works in Win 8.

It all depends on whether or not the vendor bothers to write and submit a driver for new OS's. If they don't, you can hardly blame Microsoft.

"...or you're trying to update a pirated version of Windows..." and I would wager that is the reason the OP (and others) refuse to can not update their o/s.

Yepp, I guess this is the real reason and not the "I don't like it" BS.

From people like the OP (and others) you will never get any serious answers to the "why don't you just update your OS" question...

Maybe apart from an arrogant statement like:

(Comments about updating to sp3 or w7 or 8 will be ignored)

I hope , I will never have to use an USB stick/hard disc which was formerly connected to a machine with such a crappy, unpatched system  like the OP's one...

Well done MS, continue to lock out all these ignorant XP users! clap2.gif

The time is ripe, that this, now unsafe, potential "spambot" OS disappears from the market.

Nope.

I have an original XP CD (still have the box)

About six months ago, I bought a 1TB drive which came with a piece of back-up software that looked quite interesting, it insisted on requiring SP3 to run, so I got it (from MS) and installed it.

To say that it screwed up my PC is putting it mildly (it is a named brand and not cobbled together in a back street shop as you may next infer)

I did a fresh erase and install of XP with SP2 and then SP3, nothing else, it still misbehaved, and when I added some software that I really like to use, it fell over again.

Thankfully I had already manually copied all my files, including 200 gigs of mp3's and thousands of photographs, so I didn't lose anything apart from the amount of time wasted.

I will not be doing it again, and rest assured sir, that you will not be getting any flash drives from me as I am not sure what they would come back with.

What is the brand name and model number?