No Visa options for the ones who are young and have money?

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You jealous self righteous dill. What visa DO YOU HAVE. .... Yes I drink and I shag and I do what I want. Thailand is similar to Australia in one way. ITS A FREE COUNTRY. We don't need members like you having a crack at peoples life style. The significant difference between the OP and myself is I do not break thai law. Oh and befor you point out that prostitution is illegal in Thailand. Give me a break. Thank goodness you have never taken a lady home. My profile of you is that you are married to a thai lady and therefore have a visa based on marriage. I have a retirement visa and can shag who I want you moralistic preacher.
The marriage visa was difficult for me to accept as I doubt you have gonads

I have a WORK PERMIT and actually contribute to this country, aside from shagging destitute Isaan women like most people on retirement visas. I really don't care what you old guys do, but seeing people like you laugh at younger people getting kicked out and cheer on immigration is infuriating. Your time will come when they make you do absurd requirements to stay in the country too.

Oh, and I'm young and single and date university students

Give me a break. First of all you clearly have an attitude towards girls working in bars etc. Secondly I contribute over 2 million baht a year to Thailand economy from money I earned over a lifetime of work in Australia. As for university chicks. Had my share of them but find them a bit dumb ....maybe more your gig.
This isn't personal just don't be so self righteous. I had a go about the OP on basis that he openly is happy to break Thailand law. By the way most of the ladies in the bars are exactly same as the chicks you talk about being so popular with. You clearly have issues. Only a guess but maybe from the religious US. They like to " guide" people.

So much negativity in this this freaking place, if I didn't know any better I'd say there are two types of people here - sobber negative and alcoholics tongue.png

The OP has a valid point, lets be honest, people running Thaialnd have no clue in what they are doing... TH has been spoiled and please gon't give me BS about the tourism money being only a small % of the countries revenue because it is this % that makes things move forward.

I too would spend more time in TH but given the BS Visa regulations I spend more time in VN or Cambodia.  In VN you have no problem getting multiple entry 3 month visa and it can be extended over and over with no major issue.  Cost of living is much lower and while the place is not as 'sophysticated' as Thailand there are many other things that make it cool to live in.  The way I see it, screw em, if they don't want my money there are many other places that will be happy to accept it smile.png

The way I see it Thailand is heading for a major recession, anyone who doesn't think this is the case needs to stop drinking for couple of days and look around, won't be long before the shit hits the fan and the Thais will be scratching their heads trying to figure out what happened and why... 

I also can't wait for the overpriced tiny condo market to crash - probably the biggest joke in Thailand! Make tiny shitty units, overprice em and let people buy them and think that they are making a good investement tongue.png  LOL  Just like the OP mentioned the cost of most of the units has been blown out of proportion to the point where it even exceeds cost of units in the US which has a much higher average income and better rental opportunity with a much higher return.  In addition with the unstable government and 'legal' system of TH any realestate investement should be looked at as a high risk.

Thailand might have been one of the greatest places a while back, now unless your main activity consists of picking up bar girls it has less and less to offer...  With that said I still love the place - only hope that people on the top would finally started to care about the country and not their personal pockets.  With a bit of work, the place has huge potential that would benefit the expats and the locals.

I'd say there are 2 types of people here...

those with proper visas..& those that are bitter that they might not get one...

seems most with a potential visa problem blame Thailand & blame other posters who are not sympathetic to their situation & claim they will leave & are hoping Thailand will self destruct.

I understand the stress & anxiety of those with possible visa problems...

but if Thailand isn't for you..there are other places to live.

Just move on & be happy where you are.

• Like 2

nikkoid66, whereas there are a few points in your OP which are valid, the majority of them don’t count for anything. IMHO, yourself and your friends, along with many others on this forum are vastly over rating your importance here in Thailand as regards your input into Thailand. In a four year span you have spent four million baht? I say spent, because you certainly haven’t put that into Thailand, you have exchanged money for goods and services. Big deal. Even if your friends were spending the same as you between them over a 15 year period they would have spent 30 million baht. Again, big deal.

You appear to have no, or very little concept of money that is put into the Thai economy, with tourism being only a tiny part.

In a later post you claim that your reason to stay in Thailand is your love for your girlfriend and her son? Get married then. There is option 1.

You state that finding a job in Thailand is illegal? Absolute drivel. I have been working here for coming up to 10 years, I don’t have a degree and am employed in a field where I originally had no experience. Even though for me this happen a while ago, there are still opportunities. Work is there if you are prepared to look for it and take a chance.

You had never heard of the Elite system? Shows how much research you did before your complaining in the OP.

You state that your income is from royalties from software, yet you appear to be driven to open a bakery? I have nothing against diversifying, but what was wrong with the software side?

What exactly do you think is going to happen in December 2015 with reference to Asean? You think that the borders are going to disappear? Might need to do a little research on that one as well.

And then you complain about the cost of things in Thailand?

For clarity, I have nothing against people that have been using the visa exemption system for out/in usage. I have nothing against people using multi-issue of double or triple entry tourist visas. I understand that people have based a life style around these methods of stay through immigration being lax in their control. I feel sorry for these people as they now have to adjust to the new regime of enforcement.

What I do have a problem with however are the people who are expecting Thailand to change their immigration policies to accommodate them. There are ways available to do this and still stay legal. All it takes is for them to stop complaining and get off their asses and do something about it.

IMHO of course

• Like 2

I am sure people are getting stressed out due to the recent events but I think in the long run these same people will make some corrections in their lives and get back on track. I think the age thing regarding retirement visa at 50 should be extended to those under 50 and still weed out the lowlifes. How many of these backpackers or so called lowlifes have 800k ? If you can keep 800k in the bank then you should be able to stay. Those who can not must sort out their lives.... This is my thinking for what it's worth :)

I don't agree with everything the OP said but many parts ring true, especially the Thai language/Ed visa part, I mean really, why would a westerner truly want to do that, because it looks good on the CV, come on now! Best of good fortune to you regardless.

I can tell you why I want to learn Thai.   Because I live in Bangkok and would like to make myself understood easily.

Of course the fact that Thailand is making it harder for those of us under 50 who have money to stay here also means I'm using the ED visa to solve that problem.

I don't agree with everything the OP said but many parts ring true, especially the Thai language/Ed visa part, I mean really, why would a westerner truly want to do that, because it looks good on the CV, come on now! Best of good fortune to you regardless.

I can tell you why I want to learn Thai.   Because I live in Bangkok and would like to make myself understood easily.

Of course the fact that Thailand is making it harder for those of us under 50 who have money to stay here also means I'm using the ED visa to solve that problem.

Young & wise is rare these days lol

If one plans to stay in Thailand learning to speak Thai is the smart way to go...

You have figured it out what to do to stay here.

Chok dee krup.

As a visitor three or four times per year, each staying at most two weeks, I spend several times more than the OP per year. I do not frequent bars or the night life. I mainly spend the money doing tourist activities & shopping. The amount of money that I spend is still peanuts compared to few of my friends who are millionaires & billionaires. So OP...if you do not feel appreciated here, do not return. It is their country, their rules.

lol 2 months per year spending 1 million or more, yeahhhh right.....

not going bars, hookers...... just shopping, you must buy a lot of mango in tesco then.....
Last year, I spent 300K baht on iphones. This does not include cameras & Android devices. Designer bag cost ar least 60K each. So, don't be quick to judge.

You bought 12 iPhones in one year!

C'mon, what is 20,000 baht a year nowadays?

Peanuts smile.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

just that it brings the yearly cost to 120,000 baht when a retirement visa costs around 2000 baht. the 20 year is the worst option of all, more expensive than the 5 year card

I think the batteries in your calculator are running a bit low, 5yr card for THB500,000, V 20yr card for THB2,000,000 equates to exactly the same....(5yr X 4 = 20yr, 500,000 X 4 = 2,000,000)

Edited by Jip66

Peanuts smile.png

just that it brings the yearly cost to 120,000 baht when a retirement visa costs around 2000 baht. the 20 year is the worst option of all, more expensive than the 5 year card

I think the batteries in your calculator are running a bit low, 5yr card for THB500,000, V 20yr card for THB2,000,000 equates to exactly the same....(5yr X 4 = 20yr, 500,000 X 4 = 2,000,000)
there is an additional 20,000 annual fee on the 20 year card, but not on the 5 year easy access.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Secondly I contribute over 2 million baht a year to Thailand economy from money I earned over a lifetime of work in Australia.

Sadly this is irrelevant as a rubbish female engineer working for a foreign company can earn 160,000 a month and she is only one of many. 2 mil. is nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

The current situation is nothing to do with money or losing it. It has to do with getting rid of people the "system" deems undesirable, regardless of the money. It is not about the odd farang either, or guys younger than 50.

There are methods in place for every one to stay here if they wish to contribute to the government coffers, not the general economy. Either in income tax or as visa fees. 

Infrastructure and government supplied amenities , whatever they might be, cost money. Either contribute or leave. 7% VAT doesn't count. 

Edited by VocalNeal

Peanuts smile.png

there is an additional 20,000 annual fee on the 20 year card, but not on the 5 year easy access.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

And you can "Upgrade" the 5 year to 20 year for 1.5MillionTHB

I guess there are no guarantees the 5 year won't go up by an average of more than 20,000THB per year making the 20 year one cheaper over the long term, surely it has to for the pricing to make sense, but then again TiT!

The Thai way! "welcome handsome man!" spend your money and then get out! need some fresh blood.

Perhaps because they have an interest in Thailand, its culture, and want to communicate better with its people? 

And reading all his criticisms of the country I am wondering why he is so upset he has to leave?

I wondering why he even took the time to write the OP rolleyes.gif

Because he thinks that by leaving, he and his friends will bring the Thai economy to a standstill cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I happen to agree with the general 'gist' of the OP's words and emotions - regardless of however much his stated position is 'over the top'.  I am an older guy so his issues are not my issues - BUT for those who can pass the test of self subsistence at a fairly high level... I think Thailand is shooting itself in the foot for not providing some manner or means of allowing these type younger folks to stay...  So give them a means test, have them sign an iron clad agreement that upon sentence of deportation and banned for 20 years that they will not take a job in Thailand or start a business based in Thailand.. or earn money of any kind from Thais or foreigners in Thailand... Good Grief when does the illogic end?

I was young once as these guys are now ... I do not envy them nor am I jealous of them ... as some of you folks seem to be.  There are legitimate people like this person.  I don't assume his story is a lie because I have no evidence otherwise - nor does anyone else... I can only strongly suggest to some of you old - smug and yes jealous curmudgeons - that you get a life.

I too have some sympathy for people in the situation of the OP, but the ranting is way over the top. I'll probably respond to the OP separately, but here I'll just say this. Thailand appears to be happy to allow Retirees to live here with proof of regular income or enough savings, and that's probably because they are unlikely to be taking jobs from Thai people, and being older may perhaps be in general more respectful of the country and perhaps less trouble than younger immigrants (I did say maybe! I'm not the one making the Immigration rules so don't shoot me over it). Bottom line is that they have set the bar quite high for this category of people (500k for Elite, 10M Investment Visa), and that's obviously the point where they consider these people become valuable long term visitors to the country.

I also don't think that signing a letter saying "Please sir I promise not to break thailand labour laws, and will not do the same as 1000's of people have done in the past and 1000's still do, Please sir I double promise cross my fingers hope to die sir..."  is going to solve anything either.. 

• Like 2

I beg to differ, the Thai language has lots if uses, for example <Thai language removed >

Edited by metisdead
Thai language edited out of post. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.

Anyway my point was that there is a missing Visa in Thailand, the equivalent of the "Exceptional Ability" Visa in the USA.

People who are successful in business, or have done something out of the ordinary should be able to come here to bring their brain and experience in this country (their money too).

But something that is not only based on old retired falang or people who are running a local business.

If you are "exceptional" and can do "something out of the ordinary", and are willing to use those skills to help Thailand, then you will not have a problem getting a work permit, the questions is are your skills in demand here? I'm guessing either they are not, you don't want to work, or both. You could also work for a charitable organization, but something tells me that's NONE of these options apply to why you are here.

If you are so good at business, and are offering to use your money to help the country then get an investment Visa or pay for an Elite card.

Go easy on the OP...... clearly is a young fella who has little over inflated view of his contribution to this wonderful country. Its estimated that there is between 400 to 500,000 expats living here. Yes, these folk ( I'm one of em) spend their money here.
This chap seems to think that when all the folk not able to get a visa flee to other countries it will impact on the economy.
Give me a break. In 2013 there were 26million tourists that visited Thailand.
I think the economy will survive without your huge contribution of 1million baht a year. For heavens sake, grow up , pick the dummy up and nick off to somewhere else.
On a side note how long do you think US or Australia etc would give you a visa for.
Why do people feel they have an automatic right to live wherever they wish

Perhaps because they have an interest in Thailand, its culture, and want to communicate better with its people? 

Too funny! If you've read the thread that talked about the crackdown on Ed visa's, some, ahem, "students" were complaining that they actually had to attend class two hours a day, twice a week, they believed it was excessive, seems that class interfered with their other activites, cultural learning activities no doubt! Others were crapping themselves that they were going to be tested at visa renewal time when they'd never actually been to class!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, learning languages is such a waste. I wish I was monolingual like most people on this forum.

The reference was solely to Thai language, a language that is almost entirely useless outside Thailand!

Right.....but they live IN Thailand. Not so useless.

• Like 1

Yeah, learning languages is such a waste. I wish I was monolingual like most people on this forum.

The reference was solely to Thai language, a language that is almost entirely useless outside Thailand!

Right.....but they live IN Thailand. Not so useless.

Oh wait, they're learning Thai because they live in Thailand and they are living in Thailand only because they are learning Thai, do they think that everyone on the planet is stupid or what!

You have just called to be told "don't slam the door on your a** when leaving", and with some good reason.

Your entire rant is littered with crap, of which one fetid pearl is the following:

The Thai language is the less useful language you will learn in your life, only spoken in some part of Thailand (Bangkok and Pattaya) and place where you cannot find a job as a falang: stupid idea.

Also, there are hundreds of identical threads already, but you deemed yourself too important to use them.

On these basis, isn't really worth to discuss with you, and this thread will quickly reach new lowest. 

His post is fairly accurate especially about learning Thai language. My wife is Thai from BKK and she cannot converse with girls who speak Lao or Khemer ect even though those persosns speak both their dialect and Thai.. Its not like going and learning English, Chinese, or Spanish wich are spoken by millions around the world .Only helps you basically if your in Thailand nowhere else around the world.

An as far as the elite card I am on long term visa becaused married to Thai spend almost 2 mill baht evry year here and own homes in Chon Buri, Rayong and aprt in BKK (after selling home in USA) but there is no way I would pay $15,000 + USD upfront for the privilage to stay in Thailand for 5 years---- wow what a deal!  Well I might do it if I had a business to run here.

Edited by Tony125

An as far as the elite card I am on long term visa becaused married to Thai spend almost 2 mill baht evry year here and own homes in Chon Buri, Rayong and aprt in BKK (after selling home in USA) but there is no way I would pay 500,000 baht ( $15,000 + USD ) upfront for the privilage to stay in Thailand for 5 years ----wow what a deal!  Well might do it if I had a business to run here.

Please tell me if I am wrong but nothing has changed regarding visa requirements except the in and out stamp runs? Am I correct?

All the decrepit old sexpat Chang guzzling wife beaters always had to get a non-imm O or B visa to stay here so what's the problem?