No Visa options for the ones who are young and have money?

JLCrab is annoying me right now with his sensible, measured comments. I'd really like to argue in favour of freelancers, but this guy is just being too darn reasonable in his opposition. Stop it at once tongue.png

Fortunately AYJAYDEE is available to play the antagonistic Mr Hyde to JLCrab's sensible Dr Jekyll.

AYJAYDEE, the immigration policies of your home country don't matter in the slightest, unless you happen to hail from a country with exactly the same economic circumstances as Thailand. It's probably safe to say that most of the posters here are from developed western nations, which naturally have more stringent rules for long term stays. You can compare apples and oranges if you want, but it's not a valid argument - if it was, you'd also be arguing against the availability of visas for retirement (does your home country offer a retirement visa to anyone over 50 with a modest pension?). This debate is about Thailand, and the only sensible way to frame the debate is with reference to past, present and potential Thai immigration policies.

The fact is that Thailand cheerfully tolerated freelancers for many years (I'm including everything from copywriters to web designers to semi-retired authors like me in this definition), most likely because these grey economy workers brought a net benefit to the economy at very little cost. Even the poorest beach bum who scrapes a living writing web copy at $5 a page earns - and spends - much more than the average Thai, and most individual westerners would struggle to support themselves on much less than the average income of an entire Thai household (~25,000 baht per month as of 2013). Personally, I earn the equivalent of maybe 7 or 8 average Thai households each month, and when I'm in Thailand I spend it all in country. That's a direct, no-strings-attached injection of capital from overseas.

The point I'm making - and I'm well aware that this sounds so painfully arrogant that there'll be an echo as the words escape from my own rear end - is why wouldn't Thailand want people like me? Why wouldn't any country clamour to welcome a law abiding long term visitor who brings with him the economic benefit of several families' earnings, but without the associated social costs of several families? In purely economic terms I'm all upside (though it's worth pointing out that I don't actually live or work in Thailand; I only visit 5 or 6 months a year). As arrogant as it sounds I'm a catch for the Thai economy, and if the world worked according to cold logic I'd be offered a lifetime unconditional visa at the border (though I won't hold my breath).

The answer is either: 

1) The authorities really didn't consider this particular group when they decided to make staying in Thailand more challenging, and ousting them is an unintended and undesirable consequence, or;

2) They did consider them, and either don't know or don't care how much free money they inject into the economy, or;

3) As JLCrab suggested, there's some unknown social factor that makes freelancers an undesirable group.

Of course the authorities can do what they please and no amount of whining will have the slightest effect on national policy, but I think it's important, if only to counter the annoyingly smug retiree crowd who love to lecture on the subject, to point out that freelancers are a positive force for the Thai economy, and are really no different from the retirees themselves but for the fact that there isn't a dedicated visa category for such people. If freelancers sound like 'crybabies', as AYJAYDEE put it, when they complain that the world doesn't bend over to suit their needs, it's only because they know that it did once bend. It's sad to see a good thing come to an end, especially when you know that nobody will benefit from what comes next. 

because they dont think youre worth the trouble involved in having you live permanently in their country. and with your arrogant me me me attitude I cant say as I blame them. and they didnt bend to your needs pal. dont give yourself any credit that thailand was lax with everyone right down to the low life druggie in the gutter. you were just one of the herd that happened to have an occupation. and you got swept out with the same broom that was used to get rid of all the undesirables. live with it.

All your doing is stating YOUR OPINION, there is no statement from Thai officialdom stating that people working in the multitude of industries are undesirable if there is please post a link. Your personal opinion means nothing and frankly referring to people as "druggies" "Undesirable" "crybabies" is childish.

I don't comment on threads about retirement visa's as it doesn't affect me, fair play to them I hope they enjoy the retirement they've earned good luck to them. How ever I do read the threads that pertain to me and it's irritating when they get subverted by cretins like you who for reasons that I don't understand feel the need to proverbially try and kick a man whilst he's down. These visa rules don't affect you, your not special, and your certainly no expert on Thai governance so shhhhhhhhhh!

• Like 2

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JLCrab is annoying me right now with his sensible, measured comments. I'd really like to argue in favour of freelancers, but this guy is just being too darn reasonable in his opposition. Stop it at once tongue.png

Fortunately AYJAYDEE is available to play the antagonistic Mr Hyde to JLCrab's sensible Dr Jekyll.

AYJAYDEE, the immigration policies of your home country don't matter in the slightest, unless you happen to hail from a country with exactly the same economic circumstances as Thailand. It's probably safe to say that most of the posters here are from developed western nations, which naturally have more stringent rules for long term stays. You can compare apples and oranges if you want, but it's not a valid argument - if it was, you'd also be arguing against the availability of visas for retirement (does your home country offer a retirement visa to anyone over 50 with a modest pension?). This debate is about Thailand, and the only sensible way to frame the debate is with reference to past, present and potential Thai immigration policies.

The fact is that Thailand cheerfully tolerated freelancers for many years (I'm including everything from copywriters to web designers to semi-retired authors like me in this definition), most likely because these grey economy workers brought a net benefit to the economy at very little cost. Even the poorest beach bum who scrapes a living writing web copy at $5 a page earns - and spends - much more than the average Thai, and most individual westerners would struggle to support themselves on much less than the average income of an entire Thai household (~25,000 baht per month as of 2013). Personally, I earn the equivalent of maybe 7 or 8 average Thai households each month, and when I'm in Thailand I spend it all in country. That's a direct, no-strings-attached injection of capital from overseas.

The point I'm making - and I'm well aware that this sounds so painfully arrogant that there'll be an echo as the words escape from my own rear end - is why wouldn't Thailand want people like me? Why wouldn't any country clamour to welcome a law abiding long term visitor who brings with him the economic benefit of several families' earnings, but without the associated social costs of several families? In purely economic terms I'm all upside (though it's worth pointing out that I don't actually live or work in Thailand; I only visit 5 or 6 months a year). As arrogant as it sounds I'm a catch for the Thai economy, and if the world worked according to cold logic I'd be offered a lifetime unconditional visa at the border (though I won't hold my breath).

The answer is either: 

1) The authorities really didn't consider this particular group when they decided to make staying in Thailand more challenging, and ousting them is an unintended and undesirable consequence, or;

2) They did consider them, and either don't know or don't care how much free money they inject into the economy, or;

3) As JLCrab suggested, there's some unknown social factor that makes freelancers an undesirable group.

Of course the authorities can do what they please and no amount of whining will have the slightest effect on national policy, but I think it's important, if only to counter the annoyingly smug retiree crowd who love to lecture on the subject, to point out that freelancers are a positive force for the Thai economy, and are really no different from the retirees themselves but for the fact that there isn't a dedicated visa category for such people. If freelancers sound like 'crybabies', as AYJAYDEE put it, when they complain that the world doesn't bend over to suit their needs, it's only because they know that it did once bend. It's sad to see a good thing come to an end, especially when you know that nobody will benefit from what comes next. 

because they dont think youre worth the trouble involved in having you live permanently in their country. and with your arrogant me me me attitude I cant say as I blame them. and they didnt bend to your needs pal. dont give yourself any credit that thailand was lax with everyone right down to the low life druggie in the gutter. you were just one of the herd that happened to have an occupation. and you got swept out with the same broom that was used to get rid of all the undesirables. live with it.

All your doing is stating YOUR OPINION, there is no statement from Thai officialdom stating that people working in the multitude of industries are undesirable if there is please post a link. Your personal opinion means nothing and frankly referring to people as "druggies" "Undesirable" "crybabies" is childish.

I don't comment on threads about retirement visa's as it doesn't affect me, fair play to them I hope they enjoy the retirement they've earned good luck to them. How ever I do read the threads that pertain to me and it's irritating when they get subverted by cretins like you who for reasons that I don't understand feel the need to proverbially try and kick a man whilst he's down. These visa rules don't affect you, your not special, and your certainly no expert on Thai governance so shhhhhhhhhh!

for a start I would advise you to watch the personal attacks . and secondly the thai government has certainly stated who can work in thailand. they have set out the conditions, if you can meet them they are only too happy to allow you to work. if you cannot and continue to work, you are , by definition, undesirable.

• Like 1

You might want to take a leaf out of JLCrab's book. Making an opposing point and being a nice guy about it aren't mutually exclusive. 

You might want to take a leaf out of JLCrab's book. Making an opposing point and being a nice guy about it aren't mutually exclusive. 

this from the guy that introduced himself to me by calling me names right out of the gate? lol! you'd do well to take your own advice

The answer is either: 

for a start I would advise you to watch the personal attacks . and secondly the thai government has certainly stated who can work in thailand. they have set out the conditions, if you can meet them they are only too happy to allow you to work. if you cannot and continue to work, you are , by definition, undesirable.

Post some evidence that the Thai government see's those who work online are undesirable, find any case where someone has been prosecuted for working online there aren't any. If Thailand found us so undesirable then they'd be raiding co-working spaces checking for work permits, it's at best a grey area and frankly I just don't see how it affects you.

The answer is either: 

You know, I have always maintained that an avatar title says a lot about someone: unimaginative, lacking insight, unsophisticated and sanctimonious— "AYJAYDEE" screams all of these traits. The saddest thing is that AYJAYDEE still hasn't come to terms with the salient issue that underpins his/her bile: a resentment towards others due to a problem in one's own life and/or, a need to feel superior to others in order to feel good about oneself, as there is not enough to enjoy in one's own life.

thank-you Sigmund! LOL

The answer is either: 

You know, I have always maintained that an avatar title says a lot about someone: unimaginative, lacking insight, unsophisticated and sanctimonious— "AYJAYDEE" screams all of these traits. The saddest thing is that AYJAYDEE still hasn't come to terms with the salient issue that underpins his/her bile: a resentment towards others due to a problem in one's own life and/or, a need to feel superior to others in order to feel good about oneself, as there is not enough to enjoy in one's own life.

what has this to do with OP other than a personal attack?

at least make a point.

I hear you about the Visa Crackdown to Normal Guys as well and feel the same as you.

If you want to stay legally there is something new you might consider. Or at least new to me. But then I am here on a Retirement Visa.

Others have mentioned it already. Basically for a 5 Year Visa it will cost you 500,000 Baht and you get some extras with it including VIP Treatment when going through Immigration. You can read up about it here. Maybe with that you won't feell so bugged when you get stopped for a Passport Check. You can read up about it here,  

http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

• Like 1

As for the "how does my presence affect others" issue, perhaps the Thai government fears that too many young foreigners working in Thailand will actually stress the economy?  How?  By pricing Thai citizens out of being able to get taxis, apartments, or homes that are going to foreigners with more money.  That's actually part of the reasoning, I think, to prevent foreign ownership of land.

As for "other factors," perhaps Thais fear a critical mass of especially young, mobile, critical, demanding foreigners changing their culture in ways they don't want.  Maybe Thailand doesn't want to be like NYC, London, SF, or even Miami.  At this point, what is clear is that Thai immigration has decided there are too many here living around the letter of the law and has decided to thin the herd.

Excellent example of a helpful contribution. Thank you zydeco smile.png

I thought you may have worked it out yourself, but it seems like you need further clarification also: if AYJAYDEE has a life—which is quite likely—it would seem that he/she should continue to enjoy it, rather than purging frustrations on a forum that isn't substantially benefiting him or those who read his/her posts. Sanctimony is not useful in these matters and I am astounded that the post continues in such a fashion.

fortunately you are not the arbiter of what constitutes legitimate comment on this forum. I would note, however, that personal attacks are definitely not on the menu.

• Like 1

Posts removed

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Post some evidence that the Thai government see's those who work online are undesirable, find any case where someone has been prosecuted for working online there aren't any. If Thailand found us so undesirable then they'd be raiding co-working spaces checking for work permits, it's at best a grey area and frankly I just don't see how it affects you.

it is illegal to work without a work permit. period.

Yes and what the Thai authorities classify as work is what determines their actions, if they truely did view those receiving an income from outside Thailand whist doing the work from a laptop in Thailand as being "undesirable" and working without a work permit then surly there would be cases of people being prosecuted, or some sort of official statement.

What you consider to be working or undesirable has about as much relavence as my opinion, absolutly nothing.

@tookwan cottage

"I thought you may have worked it out yourself, but it seems like you need further clarification also: if AYJAYDEE has a life—which is quite likely—it would seem that he/she should continue to enjoy it, rather than purging frustrations on a forum that isn't substantially benefiting him or those who read his/her posts. Sanctimony is not useful in these matters and I am astounded that the post continues in such a fashion."

true I may not have worked it out I thought Thaivisa is a forums where people can express their opinions & sometimes even include fact.

I have no problem with what AYJAYDEE says or others even if I don't agree with them..I might even change my opinion if they put up a good argument.

But my experience with forums is that the topic stays with the OP on the thread & personal attacks without a point is just that..

• Like 1

it is illegal to work without a work permit. period.

Yes and what the Thai authorities classify as work is what determines their actions, if they truely did view those receiving an income from outside Thailand whist doing the work from a laptop in Thailand as being "undesirable" and working without a work permit then surly there would be cases of people being prosecuted, or some sort of official statement.

What you consider to be working or undesirable has about as much relavence as my opinion, absolutly nothing.

it's work whether you admit or not and the fact they dont prowl around trying to catch folks is irrelevant. I know lots of  guys teaching without permits too and no one is chasing them but that doesnt change the fact that it is illegal.

so should I start selling my condo and car, is it time to pack up and go spend my money in a more welcoming country?

Up-to-you.

I think that nicely sums it up JL.

Far too many Westerners bitching and moaning about Thai Imm Policy.

Newsflash. Thai Imm Policy is up to Thai's to decide. If that does not fit in with your Western way of thinking too bad.

• Like 1

Anyway my point was that there is a missing Visa in Thailand, the equivalent of the "Exceptional Ability" Visa in the USA.
People who are successful in business, or have done something out of the ordinary should be able to come here to bring their brain and experience in this country (their money too).
But something that is not only based on old retired falang or people who are running a local business.

Do you feel that you would qualify for a USA National Interest Waiver?

I have stayed 4 years in Miami under a O-1 visa so I guess and can answer yes!

Specialist visas are available but the ones who are complaining aren't doing anything that a Thai can't do.

I doubt you could find a single Thai in the entire country to do what one of my friends does online.. He's one of a handful of people worldwide with a certification that enables him a very high income lifestyle..

So yes, these people do do something many Thais cannot do, provide a global derived income without Thai clients or employers.. How many Thais live that way ??

With either the  retirement visa  or a non-b and work permit there is a provable monthly income or savings. Maybe Thai officials feel that the earnings of on liners would be difficult to gauge and prove so couldn't be bothered with issuing work permits. Just a hunch.

Also I suspect not all onliners are  as successful as the OP claims. I think many are simply scraping by and it's easier  for a beginner to live in a cheaper country to live than to start up in their home countries. 

Anyway, options were asked for, options were given and then scoffed at.

• Like 1

Gee I wish I could answer every post or query  with a "I have a friend who ..." or "I know someone who ..." but my circle of friends here in Thailand is limited to young non-English-speaking Thai females.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

@ LivinLOS

"I doubt you could find a single Thai in the entire country to do what one of my friends does online.. He's one of a handful of people worldwide with a certification that enables him a very high income lifestyle..
So yes, these people do do something many Thais cannot do, provide a global derived income without Thai clients or employers.. How many Thais live that way ??
"

Then your friend could easily afford an "elite" card or a work permit to live here...He's lucky.

• Like 1

I doubt you could find a single Thai in the entire country to do what one of my friends does online.. He's one of a handful of people worldwide with a certification that enables him a very high income lifestyle..

And so.... he can afford the Elite Visa. He'll need to figure out a work permit, but he's so smart that'll be easy.

The thread is about options for under 50's to stay here

• Like 1

^^^^^

Kris they just don't want to conform. There are guys on retirement visas here making millions through all sorts of deals. I think that's what really sticks in their throat.

But when they get their own retirement visas, then they can also make millions through all sorts of deals, right? So it's about like 10-year-olds envying 16-year-olds who qualify for driving licenses.

Gee I wish I could answer every post or query  with a "I have a friend who ..." or "I know someone who ..." but my circle of friends here in Thailand is limited to young non-English-speaking Thai females.

TV posters just invent those friends to prove their points anyways. Just like their money and their degrees.

I've got PhD's in Education, Linguistics, and Japanese art History.

Ask me anything, I'll probably know it. lol