What's the most generous thing you've seen someone do in Thailand

Costas2008

As usual some stupid replies from the usual suspects.whistling.gif

I was coming down the 7 pools in Erawan national park and was admiring a group of people having a drink in the middle of one of the pools. When they saw me they insisted I join them. I had my swimsuit under my pants and a towel in my back pack, after some hesitation I obliged. They filled a glass of Thai whiskey and gave me some chicken legs. A guy pulled his guitar and they sang all of us seated in the middle of a waterfall pool. Delicious. 

When I decided to move on, so they did.

When we reached the park entrance they presented me to their boss sitting, drinking and waiting on a bench.

They insisted I should accompany them in one of their pickups to Kanchanaburi where I stayed in a hotel.

I was seated in the cabin of a pickup and off we went with a glass of whiskey in my hand.

Not to Kanchanaburi though...Turned off road somewhere to visit and ancient city.

When we got out the pick up ice and whiskey was served.

Later we headed to Kanchanaburi, hitting the main road turning towards Erawan, what the heck???

The group of pickups stopped at a restaurant.

We were seated and got glasses with ice cubes and whiskey.

5 minutes later suddenly all stoop up and left, what the heck again?

Seems service was not good, stopped 5 minutes later at an other restaurant.

Again we got glasses with ice cubes and whiskey.

We did get some food later on.

I travel carefully and had only 1.000Baht on me, enough to stay a night somewhere with some food.

I offered to pay the drinks to the boss and he told me :"these are all my friends, I pay for them, that includes you"

Well someone had to translate what the man said.

I did reach my hotel some hours later and had problems finding my room in the darkness. 

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had plenty of moments of generosity from Thais in my 6 years here.  The friend who leant me his 1990 Mercedes (dropped, tinted, super low profiles, 3.5l Lexus V8) for 3 weeks to get me and my heavily pregnant wife out of Bangkok during the flooding.  That act allowed us to get to safety in Phuket where I delivered our little girl into the world.  He leant another Merc to us 2 months ago so I could get out of Bangkok for my 40th.  He has taken me out for so many meals I can't even start to count.  I have scratched his back in return but I still feel I owe him a whole life somehow.

On a smaller scale, but much needed, was the policeman that made me start one of the most positive threads of ThaiVisa about good policemen.  I was riding down Pin Klao bridge coming out of town when a piece of cloth got lodged in my chain causing my rear wheel to lock up at 120kph!  I wrestled the bike under control but was left stranded in the middle lane having to lift the bike's rear end to wheel it along.  As I was heading down the bridge to safety a policeman came up on his bike, got off, helped me lift my bike 100m to the end of the bridge then rode off to get tools from a nearby mechanic.  He came back, stripped of my engine cover, removed the cloth, replaced the engine cover then wished me luck.  He turned down my offer of payment with a smile.

There are honestly many more.  It is so easy to find them if you learn to recognise a generous moment in your life.

• Like 1