Declare UK tax while live in Thailand?

what happens if you just don't declare your taxes

If you are not elligible to pay tax, say nothing...legal.

If you are, say nothing...illegal.

If your earnings are below the basic tax threshold £10,000/year or tax free, certain pensions eg war pension...legal.

If you own a property in the UK and rent it out without declaring it...who's to know. Illegal.

I disagree. If you are non-resident you must declare this to HMRC (and GP etc) and submit a tax return on worldwide earnings over 2,000 (although tax will still not be deducted on income below 10k).

I handed in a form P85 back in 1997 to Hastings HMRC office in UK,which was acknowledged , they also have my Thai address, despite that i still get letters spewing from 5 different UK tax offices to relatives of mine addresses with sevearal different Tax codes and not my old NI number either ,,, when i am in the UK i contact HMRC they dont have a clue whats going on ...and cant sort it ou either ,,, got a forensic tax lawyer in UK cost me £650 he now has all the letters sent to him and his advice is to ignore them as they are actually illegal and not complying with HMRCs own rules .

In Thailand despite owning 2 Ltd companies since 2002 and paying taxes every year ,I have NEVER been able to get a Thai personal tax code !!!????

both countries Tax systems are a shamble but i no longer care ,

If your earnings are below the basic tax threshold £10,000/year or tax free, certain pensions eg war pension...legal.

If you own a property in the UK and rent it out without declaring it...who's to know. Illegal.

I disagree. If you are non-resident you must declare this to HMRC (and GP etc) and submit a tax return on worldwide earnings over 2,000 (although tax will still not be deducted on income below 10k).

Sorry but I think that is absolute b***ocks - the part about submitting a tax return on ww earnings over 2k - unless you are saying this is something recently introduced?

Simplistically the whole point about being non resident is generally to pay less tax and you do not have to declare money earned outside of the UK. The tax man has never asked me to fill in a tax form even though he knew I was working in Asia and had a small rental income in the UK.

Sorry but I think that is absolute b***ocks - the part about submitting a tax return on ww earnings over 2k - unless you are saying this is something recently introduced?

Simplistically the whole point about being non resident is generally to pay less tax and you do not have to declare money earned outside of the UK. The tax man has never asked me to fill in a tax form even though he knew I was working in Asia and had a small rental income in the UK.

If I may add to this.

If your pension was earned in the UK then it will be seen as taxable, assuming it is more than the exempt value.

It does not matter what your residence status is.

If you get a full state pension it will consume most of your current exempt value.

Thus a company, private pension will be taxed and that's that.

Remember that your contributions to your pension were made before tax as an encouragement to provide for yourself in old age.

At the time you draw on that pension, it will be liable to be taxed at source.

Indeed - imagine if all the British teachers working in Thailand had to declare their Thai earnings!

Thailand has a double taxation agreement with the uk.so you register here and pay as you would in the uk.no need to inform the uk.tax revenue/costoms.

The above is incorrect re 'no need'. Double taxation agreement means that assuming you are registered to pay tax in the UK any tax you pay in Thailand will be offset against tax liability in the UK. It does not mean that you do not inform the UK tax authorities. If you do not inform the UK tax authorities there is no double taxation agreement being applied.

Re submitting returns, the simple way will be to pay the flat rate tax in Thailand with no offset against expenses, but then use your allowances when submitting tax in the UK. Subject to overall turnover, it is worth employing an accountant to prepare the UK accounts if doing it this way.