First Time To Thailand

sitges233

Hello

This is my first post and we (hubby and I and our 16yr old daughter) are hoping to go to Thailand in January 2007. We wil fly into Bangkok and spend 4 days there for shopping and sightseeing etc. Then we would like to have a week on a lovely beach where we can snorkel and swim safely. We would like to have peace and quiet during the daytime but be able to walk/bus to some more lively action during the evenings. Not too touristy though as we like to see the real country/locals if you see what I mean?!

Is Koh Samui one of the best/prettiest Islands to visit? Also what about the tsunami damage there?

Hope you can help me. :o

Thanks.

Veronica.

Hello

This is my first post and we (hubby and I and our 16yr old daughter) are hoping to go to Thailand in January 2007. We wil fly into Bangkok and spend 4 days there for shopping and sightseeing etc. Then we would like to have a week on a lovely beach where we can snorkel and swim safely. We would like to have peace and quiet during the daytime but be able to walk/bus to some more lively action during the evenings. Not too touristy though as we like to see the real country/locals if you see what I mean?!

Is Koh Samui one of the best/prettiest Islands to visit? Also what about the tsunami damage there?

Thanks.

Veronica.

There's no tsunami damage anywhere now and Samui was not affected by it at all - it's in the South China sea, not the Andaman! I've lived in Phuket for 9 years now and it's changed dramatically over that time. Avoid Patong if you don't wan't the crowds. Try Karon / Kata for a more relaxed beach holiday. Bangkok is fine for a couple of days, but the heat, noise and trafic will start to take it's toll if you stay longer.

Have a great time in this wonderful country, Geoff

Hi...........

Phuket of course would be the top pick, but for another option, check out Koh Samet, not Samui. this is a different island with no cars. Lots of discos, restaurants, and bars on the beach in certain areas, but other areas are quiet, so you can get both of your "fixes' as needed.

Hello

This is my first post.We wil fly into Bangkok and spend 4 days there for shopping and sightseeing etc. Then we would like to have a week on a lovely beach where we can snorkel and swim safely. We would like to have peace and quiet during the daytime but be able to walk/bus to some more lively action during the evenings. Not too touristy though as we like to see the real country/locals if you see what I mean?!

Thanks.

Veronica.

Hi welcome to TV. Many people will have different views on things. But here is my opinion. 4 days in Bangkok at the start of your holiday. FORGET IT! Too much shit to carry. Go on holiday and shop when you get back to Bangkok. 2 days max if you are on a limited time. Ko Samet is great and close to Bangkok(within 3 hours)Tup Tim Beach or around there is quiet in the day time and Silversands is happening in the evening. Forget about Ko Samui. Its a hole! IMHO. Very touristy and busy. How long are you here for?

BTW> Forget Phuket. Go to Krabi. Far better. IMHO.

I'd recommend Hua Hin,its on the mainland about 3 hours drive from Bangkok, I've stayed at the Marriot many times its a really nice hotel right on the beach and the town is lively enough without being too touristy mainly middle class european guests when ive been there plus good pool and activities for your daughter plus has a spa on site.... enjoy!

Hi Veronica,

Welcome to TV!

Personally, I'd go to Ko Lanta on the Andaman coast. Very good for families, excellent beaches and plenty of restaurants and things to do. Quiet if you want quiet, busy if you like to keep busy. It's unspoilt and has a fantastic atmosphere.

We love it so much we're moving there!

PM me if you'd like some links to specific websites.

Cheers! :o

Dawn

ko samet is nice - but a week there is far too long. Ko samui is a good place and big enough to fin the kind of area you are after - it doesnt have to be lamai or chaweng. Also what about Ko Chang - although its a bit more difficult getting there.

Well, here is my 2 cents of advice...

From what you are looking for, here's what I would do. oh, by the way, I'm not living in Thailand, I visit there 2 times each year for about 6 weeks, and always end up on 1 or 2 new islands on each trip.

As one of the previous posts states, I would not stay in Bangkok until the end of my trip. I normally get into Bangkok late evening. Stay the next day if I'm buying suits for myself, I use that day for sizing.

My second day I fly out to where ever I'm going. But if you want to visit an island for a week, and you want a little Thai culture with a little night life. Here is my suggestion.

You can fly to Koh Samui or Phuket, and not have to worry about how to get to your hotel, they pick you up at the airport, so its easy, with no adventure involved. These plaes are very touristy, with a lot of party places, night life, and sex. The beaches are nice, with all the usual beach things to do, sailing, snorkeling, diving, ect. But you won't get much culture.

I've been to many of the islands, and for what you are looking for, I would travel to Koh Samet and, or Koh Chang. I have spent 5 days to a week at each island, so you can do 1 for the entire week, or you can spend 3 to 4 days on each island.

I would try to do both ...I would fly to Koh Chang out of Bangkok, its easy to get from the airport to the ferry to your hotel. Stay for 3 or 4 days, and enjoy. January is busy, but its still no where near Phuket or Samui in terms of the wild club scene and sex touts. You can enjoy a nice beaches, ocean fun, and moderate night life without the blatant sex scene.

Then take the ferry back to Trat and either hire a driver to take an air-con bus to Ban Phe, where you can get the ferry to Samet and stay for 3 or 4 days. Both have the fun of the beach scene without to much of the rowdy sex scene, and you can get a little culture too.

As far as what beach to stay at, I suggest that you just do some research via travel books or on-line and see what fits your tastes. For Koh Chang, Hat Sai Khao (White Sand Beach) has some night life witih a lovely beach with plenty of places to eat. Ao Khlong Prao is also very nice with a decent night life., the farther south you go the more laid back and quiet it is.

Koh Samet action spots would be Hat Sai Kaew, the first main beach on the eastern side of the island, plenty of hotels on the beach with night life. Ao Phai and Ao Vond Deuan are the next busiest with a few good hotel places and night life.

Then return to Bangkok for the 2 or 3 days. I'll return to finalize my suits....You can do the same on your return to Bangkok. Then on your second and third days if you want to see some sights, take a 1 day trip to Ayuthaya, 2 hour drive (hire a driver), eat lunch there and enjoy the sights. Then use 1 day to see the temples in Bangkok on the river, take a river boat to Wat Arun.....

Again, do some research with a couple of books (Lonely Planet), and go on-line to browse the hotels, temples, and tourist sites that suit your tastes......

Have a great trip, but remember, you're on Thai time.....so don't be in a hurry, enjoy the sights, people, and culture of the Land of Smiles....

May peace be in your heart, nad in a your every step

Mayacan

I'd recommend Hua Hin,its on the mainland about 3 hours drive from Bangkok, I've stayed at the Marriot many times its a really nice hotel right on the beach and the town is lively enough without being too touristy mainly middle class european guests when ive been there plus good pool and activities for your daughter plus has a spa on site.... enjoy!

Hua Hins nice and lacks the seediness that some other seaside places in Thailand have. An alternative to the Marriot would be Sofitel Central which is just about next door. It's the old railway hotel and has a real colonial feel about it. Blissfully peaceful and charming with 3 nice swimming pools and landscaped gardens with topiaries. Plus as naresuan said it's only about 3 hours from Bangkok and you can hire a VIP car or van service to take you there and back from Bangkok. The only downside to Hua Hin is the beach isn't up to much.

www.sofitel.com or www.accor.com

Hello

Thanks.

Veronica.

OK ... first ... the comments about doing your shoopping FIRST are spot on ... why lug stuff around the whole trip?

Koh Samui is kinda awful imho ... but it does have some good points ... those good points being snorkelling and scuba ... as well as some neighboring islands that will be fun.

You can basically forget meeting "real locals" if I ascertain your meaning correctly. If you mean people that don't much serve the tourist industry or provide support to those that do. Other than possibly doing some tours out to other areas. ((You don't speak Thai ... they don't speak English ... they work off and about and don't go where you will go)) That being said you will meet some awesome people here and if you spend a bit of time cultivating friendships will have great memories of Thailand.

The time of year you "hope" to come is pretty awesome all over the kingdom and you can find a variety of places you may like ... spend some time on the internet and buy a Lonely Planet Guide or 2 .... (the Big Thailand book ... OR .. The BKK book and the Beaches and Islands book)

Think about possibly Phuket, Phi Phi , and Krabi in the south .... and Bkk for your shopping ... leave BKK to the last and allow yourselves to lengthen the stay in the south if you are having fun!

Hello

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to reply to my post. The information you have all given is awesome!

So, just to re-cap:

Samui - most people think is awful and very touristy, but has good beaches and snorkelling which is a must for us. I was thinking of possibly booking 3 nights there at the Imperial Boat House on the north of the island?

Koh Chang - is driveable from Bangkok and is less touristy, plus it has good beaches and snorkelling. I was thinking of booking either the Barali resort on Klong Praow beach or the Bhumiyama Beach Resort on Kai Bae Beach for 4 nights. Anyone stayed at either of these?

However, instead of Samui the Islands on the Andaman sea side seem to be very beautiful from the photos/research that I have looked at on the internet. But which one to choose? I can remember hearing reports of tsunami devastation in Phi Phi, but as it will be 2 yrs ago by the time I arrive, am I right in thinking that they have re-built and that the islands physical scars may have healed? In which case it would be lovely to support their tourist industry. How easy is it to get there?

Bangkok - maybe 3 nights there would be sufficient for both shopping and sightseeing? Several people have suggested that we do this part last. I can see the sense of not lugging all our purchases around with us but what about the fact that after you have done all that exhausting shopping/sightseeing it will be nice to chill out on a beach before our long journey back to London and then on a connecting flight back to Barcelona?

Look forward to hearing more comments from you.

Thanks.

Veronica.

Hello

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to reply to my post. The information you have all given is awesome!

So, just to re-cap:

Samui - most people think is awful and very touristy, but has good beaches and snorkelling which is a must for us. I was thinking of possibly booking 3 nights there at the Imperial Boat House on the north of the island?

Koh Chang - is driveable from Bangkok and is less touristy, plus it has good beaches and snorkelling. I was thinking of booking either the Barali resort on Klong Praow beach or the Bhumiyama Beach Resort on Kai Bae Beach for 4 nights. Anyone stayed at either of these?

However, instead of Samui the Islands on the Andaman sea side seem to be very beautiful from the photos/research that I have looked at on the internet. But which one to choose? I can remember hearing reports of tsunami devastation in Phi Phi, but as it will be 2 yrs ago by the time I arrive, am I right in thinking that they have re-built and that the islands physical scars may have healed? In which case it would be lovely to support their tourist industry. How easy is it to get there?

Bangkok - maybe 3 nights there would be sufficient for both shopping and sightseeing? Several people have suggested that we do this part last. I can see the sense of not lugging all our purchases around with us but what about the fact that after you have done all that exhausting shopping/sightseeing it will be nice to chill out on a beach before our long journey back to London and then on a connecting flight back to Barcelona?

Look forward to hearing more comments from you.

Thanks.

Veronica.

Ok to answer a few points or confirm if you wish.

In this order......

Yes!

Yes!

Ko Lanta.

3 days is enough.

Why not chill at the hotel pool?

Anyway hope all the info given helps you and you have a great time.

don't bother doint Koh Chang AND the Gulf or Andaman side ... pick one then maybe move around a bit

I live in Kamala (Phuket) it is 99% cleaned up now ... Patong and the other areas of the island seem almost pristine .... I'll be going over to Koh Phi Phi this week I think and on to Krabi I guess ... But everyone says those areas are clean and running now

if you pick the Gulf ... there is Koh Phangan (visible from Samui) and other than during the full moon parties it is pretty chill ...

There is Koh Tao ... great snorkelling and better Scuba (why not take an open water course for the 3 of you while you are here?! take a step down in the hotels ((not go BUDGET)) and you'll be amazed

from Phuket you have some great areas to hit! Phi Phi ... Krabi ... Koh Lanta ... as wwell as some of the best diving in the world!

Hola.

It is very easy to get to the andaman coast. There are flights to Phuket & Krabi. Or a 12 hour bus trip. Not much fun. But comfortable buses & you can see some scenery.

There is fairly good shopping in Phuket town. Go anytime you need a break from the sun.

From Phuket & Krabi you can get boats everywhere. Regular timetables or rent you own boat.

Hi Veronica,

I didn't read others' answers yet, but shopping in Bangkok is strongly recommended at the end of your vacation, because there's a lot of staff to drag with you.

"The best island" is something strongly personal. So, as for tsunami - the

advanced warning system was installed in Samui.

But if you're looking for something "not too touristy" - Samui is very touristy. Probably you should consider Phangan.

Warning System in Samui

Thanks.

Veronica.

Google for Pink Rose Holidays. They offers some pretty nice air + hotel trips to Samui. I prefer the Tongsai Bay Resort.... it's currently not on the advertised hotel choices, but I'd imagine any 4-5 star resort NOT on Chaweng beach (tourist central) would be comparable.

:o

Hello

Thanks.

Veronica.

I think you'll find most posters agreeing that 4 days in Bangkok is too much for your first visit. I have often recommended that people should go there at the end of their visit. For one thing it means you haven’t got a load of shopping to worry about for the rest of your stay. (There are places to leave stuff though…the airport for a start, a bit dear though.) Also you’ll have a little more “savvy” when you return to Bangkok.

The tsunami only hit the west coast of Thailand, so Samui, Samet and Koh Chang were unaffected by it. It would seem that the only damage left on the western side I.E. Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi is psychological. Figures are still down, but this could be to your advantage.

Most of the larger islands are over exploited and badly managed, but there are still places there.

Read my link on Koh Chang for an “alternative” view point

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...ndpost&p=769025

You can fly direct from Bkk to Samui and Phuket. To fly to Chang Island you go to Trat which is on the mainland but close to the ferry across to Chang (45 min), the hotel should pick you up from the airport.

By road Koh Chang is about 6 hours from Bkk, Samet 4 hrs, but Samui and Phuket are 10 to 14 hours respectively.

There is an overnight sleeper train from Bkk to Surrathani, the port for Samui.