Tt&t News Sever Config Anyone?

bluesofa

Just moved house and as a result have switched to TT&T maxnet 512K.

Got it all working, including the smtp mail server.

Does anyone know if TT&T provide a news feed, and if so what's the news server name?

Thanks,

Ewan

Hi Ewan,

I am not 100% sure but don't think so. The only ISP I know of that does is Loxinfo. If there are any others I hope people post their names on this thread.

Peter

Just moved house and as a result have switched to TT&T maxnet 512K.

Got it all working, including the smtp mail server.

Does anyone know if TT&T provide a news feed, and if so what's the news server name?

Thanks,

Ewan

Unfortunately not any newsservers that I'm aware of...

Apart indeed from the Loxinfo one, and even then it's very limited...

Guess we are stuck here subscribing to paid for services...

Thanks Peter,

I also wouldn't be surprised if TT&T don't have a news server.

I was with TOT before and I couldn't find one for them either. I still have a Loxinfo dialup account, but it does seem crazy having to use that to access usenet.

We'll just have to wait and see if anyone replies with something.

Ewan

TT&T don't have a news server.

Even if they did you can imagine how crappy it would be...better to just to use one of the public news servers ( if your not interested in binary groups )

If its binary groups you want, then the only ( resonable ) option is a subscription news server.

Hi Ewan,

You're welcome. Unfortunately there was no pleasant surprise forthcoming. And I agree with whoever said that even Loxinfo's is crappy.

I guess it is all relative but USD 10-20/month for me is significant, so I do without, except for using Microsoft's news server, which does have 2,300 groups and of course is free. As I am an I.T. manager it covers 90% of what I am interested in and need anyway. You are probably aware that all the non-binary groups can be accessed by http at groups.google.com

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I also wouldn't be surprised if TT&T don't have a news server.

I was with TOT before and I couldn't find one for them either. I still have a Loxinfo dialup account, but it does seem crazy having to use that to access usenet.

We'll just have to wait and see if anyone replies with something.

Ewan

Thought this thread was on SMTP - reading properly it says newfeed!

There are a few free Text Only newsfeeds about. I use readfreenews, I think if you just click on this link it will open up in outlook express

news.readfreenews.net

Thier web page is www.readfreenews.net - but having just checked they are refusing to let you sign up to post messages.

Try googling for free news readers, especially in google groups as I know that this question has come up repeatedly on some of the UK groups.

If all else fails there is an italian site, www.x-privat.org that I think is Euro10 for access and the old german site http://news.individual.net/ that used to be free but is now Euro10 per year but has an excellent record for text groups.