What Should I Do With My Inheretance.

not all countries use the complicated method you described and the various difficulties you assumed Simon.

Yes I agree, but I was under the impression that the OP was from the UK - apologies if I am wrong with my assumption.

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can buy the exchange traded fund THD on the NYSE and you will be exposed to the Thai baht since those companies are priced in Thai baht which is then converted to dollars. Dollar down 1% vs baht.. THD will be up 1%.

Chang Mai, you seem to have gotten lucky and randomly traded your sterling for baht at the ideal moment but hind sight is 20/20. There is very little reason to believe that the average farang is capable of predicting today whether the baht will rise/fall vs sterling going forward better than the free market.

• Like 1

You can buy the exchange traded fund THD on the NYSE and you will be exposed to the Thai baht since those companies are priced in Thai baht which is then converted to dollars. Dollar down 1% vs baht.. THD will be up 1%.

Chang Mai, you seem to have gotten lucky and randomly traded your sterling for baht at the ideal moment but hind sight is 20/20. There is very little reason to believe that the average farang is capable of predicting today whether the baht will rise/fall vs sterling going forward better than the free market.

I agree that I got lucky with GBP/THB trades years ago.

But I've been beating the drum on this point for the past few months, I think Sterling is over valued currently and that THB is undervalued, time will tell if I am right although the past 48 hours seem to support my view.

not all countries use the complicated method you described and the various difficulties you assumed Simon.

Yes I agree, but I was under the impression that the OP was from the UK - apologies if I am wrong with my assumption.

only in very rare cases OPs from the UK talk about inheriting/investing €URos tongue.png

• Like 1

Buy yourself a home and another couple at least for rental income of you can afford it. The value might go up and down but at least you will always have a roof over your head and an income source. Cash in a bank could disappear if economies start falling apart again (which is electable to some degree I think). Other paper investments can go broke also. Bricks and mortar, safe as houses, as they say. Choose wisely though; research the market and don't rush in, try to catch a good deal.
The other thing about more liquid investments, like bank deposits or stocks etc; they are far too easy to dip in to hear and there as frivolous rubbish takes our fancy; new car, another holiday etc etc;

Chock dee

I got an inheritance about 8 years ago and used it to buy a condo in Jakarta to rent out- Jkt has some of the highest rental returns in the world. AND tenants have to pay 1-2 years rent lump some IN ADVANCE- its sweet:)

Only problem is foreigners cannot legally own property there so you need to work around that,

Krugsri have a nice account with 3.5% interest. Thats where I put my 800K retirement lump. Interest is paid monthly but it is not compounded so you have to have it out every month into a cash account.

Have you checked recently? My rates with Krungsri went down by 0.5% at the beginning of July.

If you can still get 3.5% for an account opened today I would like to have details please.

I invested a non-trivial sum of new money (Krungsri Exclusive customer) in early June and the best I got then was an 8 month fixed deposit at 2.75%. Maybe had I fixed for 3 or 5 years I would have got the kind of rate you are talking about? Maybe you were talking about investments of several hundred k $ plus?

My existing savings with Krugsri, which allow for 2 non-penalty withdrawals a month moved down in rate from 2.8% to 2.3%. Still way better than anything I could get with Kasikorn Bank (I add that only because I went in to check earlier this week - I have not done a full trawl of Thai banks)

My guess is you are talking about a very long fix or very very substantial sums - but I would still be interested in details.

Edited by SantiSuk

As others have pointed out OP, the easiest way to avoid a big financial disaster in investing is to have a wide range of different types of investment with a wide range of providers. It will consume a bit of admin time from you but then any disasters (we have all had them after a few decades of investing) are only mini-disasters and usually balance out with the unexpected pleasant surprises.

• Like 1

Wow,thanks for all the advice but I don't know what made you think that I was from the U.K,I'm from Ireland.

I have been researching all that was recommended

What's called "modern portfolio theory",a mix of stocks,bonds,property........etc.

The other advice I found was 1--don't invest in anything you don't understand

and 2--invest in something you like.

The only things I understand are property,long term deposits and maybe annuities.

The only one I like is property.

So now I'm thinking of putting most of it in property and I'm looking at putting the rest into a Swiss bank or a Swiss annuity.

So property in Ireland and Thailand and money in a Swiss bank or insurance company.

I must research how expensive the currency exchange would be for going from Euros to Swiss franks to Thai Baht and how much of a hassle it would be to have property in Ireland and to live in Thailand.

Getting there,getting there............

...at least you will always have a roof over your head and an income

"roof" applies, unfortunately "income" does not if you don't have tenants.

If choose well can always have tenants if the price is right.
Choose a place with obvious demand, in a central location or near other attractions, like universities, etc. not terribly hard to work out. Since he is from Ireland he can use something like Rightmove.com to research both sales and rental markets and work out likely returns.
Just don't buy in some tiny village in middle of nowhere just because you like it there personally. Try to remove emotion from the equation.