The Visa Timer

I'm about to get my first visa and I have a couple of questions - be gentle, I'm new at this. And before anyone asks, yes, I googled. biggrin.png

I will be coming over on a non-o (and I'll be getting ED extensions) with my son on a dependent visa in January. The school is already paid and has all of my documentation in hand. Let's say my visa is dated 15 November 2014 and I use it for the first time on 3 January 2015 when I arrive. Does that mean that I just have to do my final 90 day extension prior to 14 November 2015?

Am I correct in thinking that the date of the visa is the last day that you can enter the kingdom, not the last day that you can be IN the kingdom if you have a valid 90 day extension? Now that they've eliminated that last extension for ED, the max stay is 12 months total, right?

I don't really want to wait until December and get my visa at the last second before we leave (moving overseas for the first time is stressful enough without last minute trips to the consulate), so if it means "losing" 45 days or so on the visa timer, I'm ok with that for this first go round. I just want to be sure that I have the math straight in my head before I start mapping it out on a calendar. If I need to wait until December, I can, I'm just a planner at heart and running right up until the flight out makes me nervous.

Thanks. Do you mean that the one year starts when I hit Thailand as long as I'm in country by the utilize by date? Do you know how long I have between getting the visa and the utilize by date? Having never done this before, I've never seen one to compare it to.

Thanks. Do you mean that the one year starts when I hit Thailand as long as I'm in country by the utilize by date? Do you know how long I have between getting the visa and the utilize by date? Having never done this before, I've never seen one to compare it to.

Is not really complicated. You go to Thailand in January, apply for visa in December. No point in worrying now.

You get a visa that allows you 1 year to enter Thailand. Once you are in Thailand you have visa that allows you to stay for 1 year as long as you report every 90 days.

No. OP getting a non-im ED visa. There is no ED visa allowing a continued one year stay in Thailand. She will need to pay Bt 1,900 for extensions every 90 days, then leave country before one year for a new visa.

Edited by paz

You get a visa that allows you 1 year to enter Thailand. Once you are in Thailand you have visa that allows you to stay for 1 year as long as you report every 90 days.

As Paz says, unless an "O-A" Visa, one will be stamped permitted to stay 90 days each entry, within the visa validity date. If one wants to stay in Thailand longer, they have to apply for an extension of permission to stay, which is not a visa.

Thanks, all. Just to prevent confusion for myself, I think I'll apply for the visa during the last week of November, get it in mid December (it takes 2 - 3 weeks as I understand it) and then I'll be sure to leave Thailand to come back to the states in early December of next year so that I stay within the visa validity. I know that in the mean time, I'll need to report with the paperwork from my school every ninety days. That part was never in question for me.

I appreciate all of your help.

Thanks, all. Just to prevent confusion for myself, I think I'll apply for the visa during the last week of November, get it in mid December (it takes 2 - 3 weeks as I understand it) and then I'll be sure to leave Thailand to come back to the states in early December of next year so that I stay within the visa validity. I know that in the mean time, I'll need to report with the paperwork from my school every ninety days. That part was never in question for me.

You will need to both extend and report to immigration every 90 days. The first task cost Bt 1,900, the second is free.

OP your post is talking about two types of Visas ... so what one person says in reply - unless specifically labeled as to which Visa Category they are giving advice about - then ask them which one they are talking about - otherwise ?

A one year Non Imm Multi Entry 'O' visa requires exiting Thailand and re-entering Thailand at least every 90 days. On this visa category you do not visit the local immigration office.

The ED visa is another matter.

OP your post is talking about two types of Visas ... so what one person says in reply - unless specifically labeled as to which Visa Category they are giving advice about - then ask them which one they are talking about - otherwise ?

A one year Non Imm Multi Entry 'O' visa requires exiting Thailand and re-entering Thailand at least every 90 days. On this visa category you do not visit the local immigration office.

I'm aware of the difference. I've known all along that I needed to go to immigration every 90 days. It was just the visa validity date that I was confused about.

I'm aware of the difference. I've known all along that I needed to go to immigration every 90 days. It was just the visa validity date that I was confused about.

Not to quibble OP - and my words are sincere not flippant ... with a Non Imm Multi 'O' Visa one does not "go to immigration every 90 days". With a Non Imm Multi 'O' one must make a border run - exit and re-enter.

And you do not need to have a ED visa at the same time of having an 'O' visa. If fact I am not sure one can do such a thing.

OP as far as the Visa Validity Date -- with your schedule as listed it will not make much difference. Entering Thailand about one month after issuance of the visa will still give you nearly 15 months time if you make your last Exit and Re-entry just a few days or so before the Enter Before Date.

I am on a very similar timing track as yours with a Non 'O' --- Got the Visa last December 16, 2013 ... Entered Thailand on January 16, 2014 ... My last exit and re-enter will be just before December 15, 2014 and it will completely run out on about March 13, 2015 - (give or take a day or two)

Edited by JDGRUEN

As I understand it, there is no such thing as an "ED visa." You get a Non-Immigrant Visa, Type "O" to get into the country, and you get ED visa extensions every 90 days at the immigration office. However, you have to have the Non-Immigrant Visa, type "O" to be able to get the ED extensions.

OP do you live near Portland OR. or Dallas TX. ?

These two cities have offices of the Royal Thai Honorary Consul General ... These two Honorary Consul Generals are American. There are other such offices - one in Honolulu. The list is on the website of the Thai Embassy in Washington D.C. but the list is not up to date as to contact information

The point to this is - if you go to a Honorary Consul Generals office with forms filled out - pay the fee (mine was $200.00) you can get the 'O' visa issued on the spot usually within 30 minutes.

Using this method it would be possible to have your Date of Issuance of the Visa be closer to your date of entry into Thailand - if you wanted it to be.

I have current up to date contact information for the Portland and Dallas offices - just ask if you want it.

What type of visas are you going to apply for? If you apply for a multiple entry visa it will be valid for one year and will give unlimited 90 day entries meaning you must leave the country every 90 days A single entry visa will be valid for 90 days and give one 90 day entry.

It shroud only take at the most a week to get your visa.

Are you the one going to school or will your child be the one going to school.

If it is you what type of school are you going to attend?

The one going to school will apply for a non-ed visa and the other a non-o as the dependent.

If you get single entry visas you both would need to apply for extensions of stay.at immigration during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.

What type of visas are you going to apply for? If you apply for a multiple entry visa it will be valid for one year and will give unlimited 90 day entries meaning you must leave the country every 90 days A single entry visa will be valid for 90 days and give one 90 day entry.

It shroud only take at the most a week to get your visa.

Are you the one going to school or will your child be the one going to school.

If it is you what type of school are you going to attend?

The one going to school will apply for a non-ed visa and the other a non-o as the dependent.

If you get single entry visas you both would need to apply for extensions of stay.at immigration during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.

I'm getting the single entry visa so that I can extend at immigration every ninety days instead of having to leave the country. The 2 - 3 weeks that I referred to is to get the paperwork from my school. The have to get the approval letter from the MOE (I think that's the right acronym?) and then send the paperwork to me here in the states.

As I understand it, I take that paperwork to the consulate here in Dallas and they give me the single entry visa. After I get into Thailand, I check in with my school within the first month of arrival and then apply for our (both for me and my son) first extensions of stay during the last 30 days of our 90 day entry.

I'm attending a language school in Pattaya to study Thai. My son will be on a dependent visa. He is homeschooled, and I want to learn Thai anyway, so this seems to be the right way to go about it. We will be supported by my husband who works overseas and will not be living in Thailand with us for at least a couple of years.

Because I'll have my son with me, I'd rather not do border runs every ninety days, so I think the single entry is what we need.

Do I have it all straight?

Edited by Bellacissa

You seem to have it worked out.

You will need to get a single entry non-o for your child before you travel so they can get the dependent extension.

I can't tell you how great it feels to hear that from you, UbonJoe. clap2.gif

The school is preparing the paperwork for my son's non-o when they prepare mine, so come December, we should be good to go.

OP here is contact information for the Royal Thai Honorary Consul General in Dallas

The Honorable W. Forrest Smith
Honorary Consul General of Thailand
17855 Dallas Parkway, Suite 300
Dallas, TX 75287
Telephone: ... 972-250-6363 (Direct number to Mr. Smith 972-407-6528)
E-mail: [email protected]

Near Frankford and Dallas Pky. Southwest corner

This information was current and accurate on December 15, 2013.

OP - I am in hope that this Honorary Consul General can issue you the correct visas for you and your child.

And - I apologize for my mistake in understanding the type of initial 'O' visa you were seeking and any confusion I may have added.

Best of luck in your new adventure.

Edited by JDGRUEN

No worries at all. You have been very helpful. And maybe the next person that reads this can learn something from the conversation that we had.

Thank you for the consulate information. I'll give them a call right before I get the paperwork from the school to make sure I have everything I need ahead of time.

No worries at all. You have been very helpful. And maybe the next person that reads this can learn something from the conversation that we had.

Thank you for the consulate information. I'll give them a call right before I get the paperwork from the school to make sure I have everything I need ahead of time.

Thank you for being so kind..

I got my Visa (Non imm multi 'o') from Mr. Smith the Honorary Consul General last December. He was more than accommodating - a cordial and generally nice guy.

I suggest calling first - soon... because Mr. Smith is getting up in years and could possibly retire most anytime (don't tell him I said this :). And if a new person takes over - all the contact information changes. Honorary Consul Generals are contractors to the Thai Government - the physical office, address, etc. changes with the contractor. So - I think it is a good idea to establish communications with his office early on to verify the current address, phone #, etc. When it comes to visas surprises are not fun.

Again - Best Wishes for your new venture...

By the way ... I am attending a Thai Language School in Ao Nang, Krabi... one of Thailand's southern Paradises. The school is ALS -- Ao Nang Language School. It is small and very personable... Ao Nang - while a tourist town is somehow a much more laid back place than Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui and others.

I'm getting the single entry visa so that I can extend at immigration every ninety days instead of having to leave the country. The 2 - 3 weeks that I referred to is to get the paperwork from my school. The have to get the approval letter from the MOE (I think that's the right acronym?) and then send the paperwork to me here in the states.

As I understand it, I take that paperwork to the consulate here in Dallas and they give me the single entry visa. After I get into Thailand, I check in with my school within the first month of arrival and then apply for our (both for me and my son) first extensions of stay during the last 30 days of our 90 day entry.

The letter from MoE will have an expiration date for the purpose of issuing a visa, and it will not be a very long period.

So acting with large anticipation, like now, can cause you more problems.

The letter from MoE will have an expiration date for the purpose of issuing a visa, and it will not be a very long period.

So acting with large anticipation, like now, can cause you more problems.

I understand. I'm just planning out the next few months on the calendar right now. There's a lot to do between now and the move!

I won't be getting the paperwork from the school until late November or early December and then I'll get the visa right after that, so I should be fine.

Thank you, Maestro. I can't imagine taking a leap this big without all of the organization and planning. I don't know how people just up and move half way around the world on a moments notice. I've been planning this for the better part of a year now.

• Like 1