is blue shield accepted

joey88tc

Any insurance is accepted. They may contact your insurer back home to verify coverage and you may have to pay in advance and ger reimbursed later. Both can be slight inconveniences, but I would happily carry them for a good lifetime coverage.

I think you will find most any international medical plan coverage like the OP is talking about is that he will have to pay all the medical fees upfront (the Thai doctor/hospital won't submit the claim for payment)...then he will need to file for reimbursement directly with his insurance company. The OP might want to contact Blue Shield and see if they happen to have any "in network" providers in Thailand but I expect they won't.

Unlikely to be accepted anywhere in Thailand - but if insurance is valid for overseas claims you can obtain reimbursement using detailed receipts (you have to ask for them from hospital/doctor). The federal government FEP Blue plan does have agreements with a handful of Bangkok hospitals for direct billing for inpatient service and contact with home office can sometimes arrange with others. You should be asking your insurance to be sure.

Any insurance is accepted. They may contact your insurer back home to verify coverage and you may have to pay in advance and ger reimbursed later. Both can be slight inconveniences, but I would happily carry them for a good lifetime coverage.

I have a US company-based insurance for life ... not Blue Shield. I pre-pay the hospital, pharmacy, optometrist or dentist first and at least quarterly send in receipts that are then reimbursed by payment directly to my Chicago bank account.

You really need to check with Blue Shield to see what their policy is regarding foreign billing.

Thai's one of several reasons why I like using "international" hospitals like Bangkok Pattaya and pharmacies like Fascino. They produce nicely itemized invoice/receipts print-outs that my insurer has no problem accepting.

Believe any hospital can provide detail receipts if you know how to ask for them - know we received from government hospital in the past. But have not found any that understand the word "itemized" even when they speak English well. Better luck asking for detail or insurance receipt. These are in addition to normal payment receipts.

Blue cross/shield does have contract with AXA International for foreign assistance and can provide direct billing for inpatient stays at selected hospitals and may be able to obtain agreement from others on a case-by-case basis so is often a good choice. But there are many versions of there insurance so until check is made on the specific policy conditions do not believe anyone can answer..

I have Blue Shield for life too . They used to have contracts with the major hospitals for in patient services but dropped it (I don't know why ) . Now I pay cash ( mostly credit card ) for any service and send the bill in . They eventually send me a check for the 80% . whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif They don't give me a discount for saving money for them by not being in the states .

Edited by muffy

BC/BC used to consider foreign hospital a being "preferred providers" and would pay 100% after your year deductible was met, but sometime in 2008 or 2009 they changed their system and it is now as described by other posters, pay first and then get reimbursed for 80% later

• 9 months later...

They are still preferred provider on my BC/BS Service Benefit plan and pays 100% after $250 entry for inpatient and 85% less co-pays for outpatient.

I have the Fepblue Basic plan, and I also have Medicare A/B, which means that I don't have to pay (except for retail pharmacy drugs) deductables or co-insurance (they're waived). Also overseas providers are considered "preferred providers".

They are still preferred provider on my BC/BS Service Benefit plan and pays 100% after $250 entry for inpatient and 85% less co-pays for outpatient.

I have the Fepblue Basic plan, and I also have Medicare A/B, which means that I don't have to pay (except for retail pharmacy drugs) deductables or co-insurance (they're waived). Also overseas providers are considered "preferred providers".

FEP Blue has a special deal that if you continue with your coverage from them, once you are eligible for medicare and sign up for part B. They will waive all co pays and deductibles as an incentive to keep you on their rolls. Actually BC/BS is more interested in getting the governments share of our monthly payments than they are in getting your monthly payment

Are you saying your deductibles for care in Thailand are not being charged? I do pay normal co-payments and deductibles. But do not pay for medicare.

Yes. Incudes basic option and overseas claims.

ion, Va.: Will BC/BS Standard option continue to waive deductibles and copayments for retirees who have Medicare A & B as their primary insurance? Also, does BC/BS enhance its prescription benefit for retirees with Medicare or is it the same as for those who are not enrolled in Medicare? I am trying to determine if it is worthwhile to enroll in Medicare Part B.

Steve Gammarino: Yes, we continue to waive copayments and deductibles for retirees who have Medicare A & B (except for prescription drugs). Retirees with Medicare have the same cost-sharing requirements for prescription drugs as all other enrollees.

You can also read our brochure for information about how Medicare pays when an enrollee has our coverage.

Medicare does not provide benefits for care performed outside the U.S. Therefore, if you have Medicare as your primary insurer and you receive services outside the United States and U.S. Territories, there is no need to send your claim to Medicare. Please send the completed claim form and itemized bills to us. We will consider benefits at 100% of our Plan allowance.

Edited by joealx

Edit

Did not get full display of your replay first time - thanks. As my primary payments are for drugs probably would not break even - especially at this late date with extra payments required.

Go to this page>> http://provider.fepblue.org/

and scroll down to a link called>> "Locate Doctors Worldwide" << that will show approved healthcare providers worldwide for BC/BS.

Seems to show at least one in each of the larger cities in Thailand and I noticed there is also an approved provider in Vientiene, Lao.

Hopefully, those providers do direct billing to BC/BS.

All providers are approved overseas - these are just a few they list as having relationships with that might accept direct billing (it is indicated in review if they do) and in the case of Thailand there are precious few that do accept direct billing and almost all are large hospitals at the high end of price range. Do not expect direct billing here in Thailand - you will likely have to pay upfront and then apply for payment (which can be done online and currently runs about 3-5 weeks to actually receive ACH payment).

Above is about US Blue Cross coverage - believe there is a local Blue Cross system that would direct pay for those enrolled in a Thai plan.

I have Florida BC BS. Heck, it is barely accepted outside of the FL network! I was in California and had to get something done quickly and while some of the expenses seemed to have automatically been submitted, I had to make my own submittal also. Barely got 50% taken off the price. No money was returned to me, just the bill was reduced a bit. I am sure if in Thailand there will NOT be any direct billing by Florida BC BS to the Thai hospital. You will have to submit claims to BC BS. One poster here said he had good success doing it online and the money was direct deposited. Good for him. I suspect it would only be direct deposited to a USA bank, and not a Thai bank, but that is just my guess. Bottom line is, showing the insurance is good because the hospital will now let you in the door, but you will have to pay up front or upon discharge. Having insurance suggests to the hospital that you will be able to get reimbursed and that lowers the risk to them that you won't pay.