How Many Thai Women Would be Happy Living in a Western Country?

I live in California but I visit Thailand often. I have been lucky enough to meet several wonderful Thai women. I have two Thai female friends, so I asked them "how many Thai women would be happy living in a Western country", and both said about 90%. I disagree with this, but I wanted some opinions here.

The reason I am asking is that I like where I live here in the US and hope to live here the rest of my life, with several visits a year to Thailand. If I marry a Thai woman, I would want us to live here in the US, not in Thailand. But would she be happy here? Such an aggressive culture here, no Thai spoken, and the wife would be separated from her Thai family (very important in my experience).

I am interested in hearing any stories from Westerners (US or Europe) who brought their Thai wife back to the home country, and how that worked out, good or bad. My thought is that she should be educated, which sounds a bit hi-so, but my experience with Thai women is that if they are more educated, they may be more flexible in terms of living in a foreign culture.

P.S. - I am 63, so if I am going to do this, it would be with a woman in her 40's or early 50's - no young kids to deal with.

Thanks

90% would be right, meeting one that is educated with a good job is the key to less stress and problems later but do go for a childless woman, there are many many available again less possible problems in the future.

The problem bring them to your home country is work, a Thai degree isnt worth much out side of Thailand, if they can get a job it will be an unskilled low paying one.

My ex was a journalist in BKK but a kitchen hand in Australia, i learned that its better to keep them in there own surroundings rather than up root them and bring them here, one thing you need to be careful off is the move to the USA isnt seen by her as an opportunity to earn a lot of money, ive had numerous discussions with Thai women about this...they do see it as the land of milk and honey, i do try and explain to them we have to pay for everything and there are no food carts on the streets selling 30B meals.

My Thai wife and I spent 40 years in California. We both worked, and lived a comfortable life. 5 years ago, we retired and built a house in Northern Thailand. We both looked forward to our "golden years". While we do live well on our retirement funds, we both agree that if we could afford to live in California without working, we would go back.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the work problem is a big one for me. I am retired, and tend to hang around the house way too much. If my wife is not working and hanging around the house as well, we would both be miserable.

i live in a medium sized city (San Diego), but there is no Thai community here at all. There are about 10 Thai restaurants within 1 kilometer, so for work, she would be looking at working at a Thai restaurant, a lousy job and no benefits.

When i posed this question to my two female Thai friends, neither of them mentioned the separation from their family, which surprised me, because in Thailand I know that Thai women are very close to their families. Maybe because for a Thai woman in her 40's, with responsibilities for her parents, the layabout brother, and her 20 something kids, they see distance as a benefit.

Cheers.

I personally know many Thai women aged 20's-60's who live abroad (North America/Europe) and they love it. I also know a few who have packed it all in and moved back to Thailand after their relationships fell apart.

Yes it is definitely possible for a Thai lady to live in the West happily.

I know many Thai women living overseas who have no intetion of ever returning here.

Your problem aint so much the woman, its the Thais they befriend in farangland that coz the problems.

My mrs has been called a snob and other such derogatory terms becoz she wants nothing to do with some of the Thais living overseas.

Wife said to me, I wouldnt mix with them in Thailand why should I mix with them in farangland.

Wait 'til you hear the stories about gambling and money lending, there is always some Queen Bee in the background.

I know many Thai women living overseas who have no intetion of ever returning here.

Your problem aint so much the woman, its the Thais they befriend in farangland that coz the problems.

My mrs has been called a snob and other such derogatory terms becoz she wants nothing to do with some of the Thais living overseas.

Wife said to me, I wouldnt mix with them in Thailand why should I mix with them in farangland.

Wait 'til you hear the stories about gambling and money lending, there is always some Queen Bee in the background.

Very true. The same nonsense that goes on right here in Thailand gets transplanted very easily overseas. It is a big problem and makes the process of wife selection even more important.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the work problem is a big one for me. I am retired, and tend to hang around the house way too much. If my wife is not working and hanging around the house as well, we would both be miserable.

i live in a medium sized city (San Diego), but there is no Thai community here at all. There are about 10 Thai restaurants within 1 kilometer, so for work, she would be looking at working at a Thai restaurant, a lousy job and no benefits.

When i posed this question to my two female Thai friends, neither of them mentioned the separation from their family, which surprised me, because in Thailand I know that Thai women are very close to their families. Maybe because for a Thai woman in her 40's, with responsibilities for her parents, the layabout brother, and her 20 something kids, they see distance as a benefit.

Cheers.

OK, beachboy! San Diego would be one of the places a Thai woman would be most apt to like, IMHO. I've swum in the ocean there in January, but it's never hot the way it is over here. I think you're mistaken in the "no Thai community" opinion. Maybe they don't live all in the same neighborhood, but there's a wat in Escondido, and a Lao/Cambodian wat in San Diego proper, I believe. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sanghas_in_San_Diego_County,_California . . . as other posters have said, some could thrive in the US, some couldn't. Depends on a lot of things. Language ability/aptitude/interest is a big one. But good luck! I myself think 6 mo here, 6 mo in NorCal would be great, but probably won't happen, partly because of money, partly because my wife would probably get just a leetle too homesick.

Self-identity in Thailand seems to be defined through the language, the culture, the religion and the King. Take some or all of those things away and they can feel very displaced. In my opinion, Thais are not as comfortable living long-term in other countries as some other Asian cultures.

• 2 weeks later...

Thai women have one thing in common they are all different, you cant stereo type how many would like it its down to the individual. My experience and those of my ex wifes friends in the UK they liked what they earned, like the rights they got to our houses pensions etc and were all waiting to the day they had sent enough money back home to Thailand to come back and live, of course with a good share of ex hubbies assets.

There's a reason why Thai ladies are happy to marry guys 20-30 years older, i will leave you to figure that one out.

Edited by marstons

Am a Brit, wife is here in Germany with me, she loves it, is even studying the language, she does not need to work, we both enjoy traveling in and around Europe, but we also like to go to Thailand although not that often, her mother and brother are in Thailand but her Mum is well educated and knows that Europe is a better place for her daughter.

Wife has a couple of Thai friends all women around her age one is married to a Thai the other to a German, they chat and go to the VHS (Volkshochschule) together, meet and go to the English Garten and picnic, but she does not mix with other Thais.

Her decision not mine.

I live in Florida with my Thai wife for several years now, She has become a US citizen, and is very Happy here. We have several Thai friends married to Americans and non of them have any plans to move back to Thailand.

We were planing to retire in Thailand . and were looking in to building a nice home in property we own.The other day when we were talking about it with my wife, she suggested that we scale our building plans down and only build a two bedroom vacation home

,Her argument was that by the time we retire there her elderly parents will be probably dead, and except for her sister, she will not really have anyone there she cares about, at the same time, she is becoming acclimated here and is not sure if she would be able to put up with some of the nonsense in Thailand. I am also becoming concerned with my ability to get adequate medical care in my twilight years.

So the short answer to your question is, Many Thai women wold be happy living in the US not only do I know many, but my wife is one of them.

PS: my wife goes to Thailand at least once a year and get's her Thai Fill . I am very busy with work, and I was telling her to go there for a month, and she does not want to go with out me, she said she will wait until I have time to go with her.biggrin.png

God I love that girl

PS: my wife goes to Thailand at least once a year and get's her Thai Fill . I am very busy with work, and I was telling her to go there for a month, and she does not want to go with out me, she said she will wait until I have time to go with her.biggrin.png

God I love that girl

We have been married for over four years and visit LOS together twice a year. I regularly inform that she is welcome to extend her stays with her family without me and even build a business but I receive the same response in that she is not comfortable to leave me alone.

Bottom line: my wife is quite content in the UK. Try to avoid seconding guessing peoples preferences.

California has so many Asians that she will not be noticed,

And she will probably be more angry that everyone will think she is Filipino

There are a lot of Thai places in Los angeles and a big Wat in North Hollywood

With Skype , Internet TV etc she can get her Thai news when she wants,

The only thing is most Thais are social , they like to be in a group , where Americans are more happy being by themselves or a few people but we like our privacy....not a Thai thing

And like others have said the Thais in the USA will be a problem , most have lost the "sanuk" since they have to really work in the USA as costs are high

BKKdreaming is right. There are so many Asians in America she won't be noticed. Many Thais own or work in a Thai restaurant or a Thai grocery store where Thais and other Americans can buy ingredients for Thai recipes.

I don't think the issue is America. I think it's whether she will be OK with leaving friends and family and all that is Thailand, and learning a new culture. If she can't adjust to that, there's no hope.

But America will treat her well and it's in such a different universe that she may never want to go back very much. All you can do is try it.

BKKdreaming is right. There are so many Asians in America she won't be noticed.

I do not think that is true in the smaller places in the Midwest and South , but it is in California,

across the street from me is Koreans, Filipinos , Indian, ,Mexician and Black african and the building is owned by Chinese

Next door is Chinese , French and the rest American.

My friend in Santa Ana has Vietnamese and Mexicians on his block,

So it is easy to melt in ,

Then it just matters on the Lady , if she really wants to have a new life she will try harder....

I don't think San Diego makes a hill of beans when it comes to happiness. Yes the climate there is popularly rated as the 'best in the US' but there's probably Thai women happily married and settled with their partners in Duluth and Albuquerque.

The OP's two lady friends who don't mention the very common 'missing my family' reasons for the Thai partners unhappiness. Are these ladies still in Thailand or in the US? Have they traveled overseas for extended periods? Or maybe they are just giving the OP the correct answer as they may think they have a chance to be 'the one'?

In the end, the OP is sharing his life with a partner so superficialities such as location don't really mean a lot. The OP's retired and doesn't appear to have any hobbies or activities that he could share with his partner. Having said that, maybe try and do something new together? That way there's no challenges of one being the expert and the other feeling obliged to like something their partner likes or is good at. I think a big enabler of a happier relationship would be the OP making a big effort to learn Thai as there's a lot difficulties that can be avoided by better basic communications. If you BOTH are comfortable discussing things in each others languages, that goes a long way in making the relationship work.

She doesn't need to be pigeonholed into working in a Thai restaurant or Lao market either. If she is comfortable with her language skills and meeting people, there's no restrictions on what work or activities she could do or even share with the OP.

If he OP wants a number, try 711.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife loves Australia..but she misses Thailand. It isn't about family..we live in Bangkok and we meet up with family about 3 times a year for a meal. She calls her mum daily but is quite happy not visiting too much.

When we are in Australia she looks forward to getting back to Thailand even though she loves Kirra beach.

I think she is just like me..she loves her home country.

• 3 months later...