Air hosts/hostesses...

cornishcarlos

My cousin is a FA. She detests long-haul as she says once she's taken a dislike to a passenger it's a form of torture trying to maintain being polite to them. On the short-hauls, they're off before you know it. She says it's rare for their not to be an idiotic, drunken, or obnoxious passenger on any long haul flight - although it's not always her that catches the brunt of it.

Her two main gripes are - drunks, often causing disputes with other passengers - which multiplies the stress rate.

Obnoxious - people that regard her as a maid, and treat her with contempt.

She says that drink on board should be banned - or at the very least limited to one drink per meal service. She also says that her colleagues dread the Manchester flights as the passengers seem to set out to get the value of the fare back from the free bar. In that case, even if the people are perfectly friendly, the staff get worn out running up and down the aisles.

I think she should stop moaning and get another job of she can't hack it

"Obnoxious - people that regard her as a maid, and treat her with contempt."

Isn't being a maid what they are, or maybe a waitress? As far as being a passenger is concerned what does a steward/ess do apart from bring your food and drink?

Yes you can tip FAs. You can also buy something from duty free on board and give to them.

I fly about twice a month and prior to boarding I always go to shop at the departure lounge and but a box of Godiva chocolates for the FAs and give it them when I get to my seat.

A small gesture of thanks that's is really appreciated! Call me crazy if you like but I think they do an excellent job and are taken for granted!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Yes you can tip FAs. You can also buy something from duty free on board and give to them.

I fly about twice a month and prior to boarding I always go to shop at the departure lounge and but a box of Godiva chocolates for the FAs and give it them when I get to my seat.

A small gesture of thanks that's is really appreciated! Call me crazy if you like but I think they do an excellent job and are taken for granted!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, you're crazy.

They get paid to do what they do.

Edited by KarenBravo

This thread reminds me of an airline joke, the passenger was boarding his flight and was greeted by the flight attendant, but the passenger commented "where's my smile?". The flight attendant responded, "if you smile then I will smile" so they passenger put on a nice smile to which the flight attendant responded " ok, now hold that for 8 hours".

• Like 1

My cousin is a FA. She detests long-haul as she says once she's taken a dislike to a passenger it's a form of torture trying to maintain being polite to them. On the short-hauls, they're off before you know it. She says it's rare for their not to be an idiotic, drunken, or obnoxious passenger on any long haul flight - although it's not always her that catches the brunt of it.

Her two main gripes are - drunks, often causing disputes with other passengers - which multiplies the stress rate.

She says that drink on board should be banned - or at the very least limited to one drink per meal service. She also says that her colleagues dread the Manchester flights as the passengers seem to set out to get the value of the fare back from the free bar. In that case, even if the people are perfectly friendly, the staff get worn out running up and down the aisles.

Isn't being a maid what they are, or maybe a waitress? As far as being a passenger is concerned what does a steward/ess do apart from bring your food and drink?

No.

I can remember flying OLYMPIC airlines (greek) sydney to bangkok in the 80's they went bankrupt, back in the days when you could have a cigarette in the back section of jumbo, anyway I can remember the stewaddesses were built like gorillas, with half a moustache.

cheers S.S.clap2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Some work domestic/local routes because they don't wish to be away from home for days at a time. That is their choice.

Like I said in my OP, I can see the benefits in both...

Just can't help thinking they still yearn to be on that Airbus A380 serving champagne, just once :)

Some work domestic/local routes because they don't wish to be away from home for days at a time. That is their choice.

Like I said in my OP, I can see the benefits in both...

Just can't help thinking they still yearn to be on that Airbus A380 serving champagne, just once smile.png

That's not really the way of things my daughter as said does short haul but has been on a A380 for free because of her privileges.

got a mate who used to be a captain on Thai airways but changed to Air asia for better pay and home more often to be with the family.

Also my wife (thai) said that when she was in school she wanted to be an air hostess but the teacher told her dont be stupid why do you want to be a waitress in the sky, aim higher.

Nothing glamorous about flying these days

got a mate who used to be a captain on Thai airways but changed to Air asia for better pay and home more often to be with the family.

Also my wife (thai) said that when she was in school she wanted to be an air hostess but the teacher told her dont be stupid why do you want to be a waitress in the sky, aim higher.

Nothing glamorous about flying these days

Well the teacher was stupid IMO but there not all like that.smile.png

Lots of young people, especially girls want to be Cabin Attendants. It is clear to me at least one of the Thai LCC's hire only for appearance.

Most of whom would be useless in an emergency anyway. After a relatively short time they get tired off working their asses off for peanuts and quit.

Then the airline hires more pretties (and handsome guys, I guess) at starting wage.

TG is obviously some sort of a decent career as the CA's are professional and many stay on for

the long haul, even after marriage/kids for the ladies.

Edited by arunsakda

All I have to say about this topic is that the HR people in the Thai airline industry, with airlines such as Nok, Air Asia and Bangkok Air are doing a very good job of selecting attractive, younger gals for their FA crews. I am thankful the politically correct BS has not reached Thai shores. And I heard recently that the EVA Air gals are retired by 30. Nice. I was a little tired of being served by surly, 60 year old women on the American Airlines. Shallow I know. But, pleasant for sure.

All I have to say about this topic is that the HR people in the Thai airline industry, with airlines such as Nok, Air Asia and Bangkok Air are doing a very good job of selecting attractive, younger gals for their FA crews. I am thankful the politically correct BS has not reached Thai shores. And I heard recently that the EVA Air gals are retired by 30. Nice. I was a little tired of being served by surly, 60 year old women on the American Airlines. Shallow I know. But, pleasant for sure.

Nok and AA have a much better gene pool to choose from than EasyJet and Ryan Air :)

Nok and AA have a much better gene pool to choose from than EasyJet and Ryan Air :)

Man oh man is that not the truth. What is that all about? Is there something in the the drinking water over here? I am not sure I have ever seen a higher percent of attractive women per capita anywhere in the world. What is it about Thai women? I can stand on a street corner in Kuala Lumpur for 20 minutes before seeing an attractive woman. In Bangkok it is rarely more than 15 seconds! My guess so the really fine women in the west just have too many other options. Here they are a dime a dozen!

Maybe if there was an emergency you would be somewhat appreciative of the training of the cabin crew in such a situation. Or maybe you are one of the many who booze the whole flight & would be totally unaware of any drama.

Just wondering.