Skype thai lessons with non-ed visas : not possible anymore ?

Hello,

I have been staying in Thailand with a non-ed visa for the past 15 months, with skype thai lessons 4 hours every week. I was lucky enough to get my last extension before the changes on non-ed visas, so I have 3 months now, to find a solution.

I live in a place where there are no school, and my school just told me it will not be possible anymore after my extension ends. They say it's too dangerous to keep on doing that, for the students and for the school. Do they mean it was illegal ?

Do you have any information about any way to do it again ? This solution was just ideal for me. Living on an island without any branch of any school, I can not attend any class "in real life". I didn't do it with bad intentions, I found this on internet, a few schools proposed skype lessons + non-ed visas, so I just took one.

What other solutions for me now ?

I'm 30 years old, my passport has 18 months of back-to-back tourist visas, and 18 months of student visa. Overall I've been staying almost 3 years in Thailand. I don't work here, I have no business, I have a girlfriend but I don't want to get married.

Immigration rules do not allow or disallow it. But it could be a problem with the Ministry of Education to get the paperwork from for the extension.

You could contact another school that offers Skype lessons to see what they say.

Some schools offer a learn online course like PLC in Pattaya, its not skype lessons but a software course you do online, it used to give you the option for ED Visa, these days I am not sure, I also never did it, was just aware of it

Why not go home and continue the Skype lessons there?

I thought visas were for those in Thailand for a specific purpose.

For those studying a language and getting a student visa to do so, where do you study? On the internet. Hmmmm. You don't have a reason to be here.

I like being here, so does the op I guess. Thats enough reason. Why this attitude? There are no victims here, only benefits for all involved.

He is giving you an idea of the immigration officers thoughts!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

For those studying a language and getting a student visa to do so, where do you study? On the internet. Hmmmm. You don't have a reason to be here.

I like being here, so does the op I guess. Thats enough reason. Why this attitude? There are no victims here, only benefits for all involved.

He is giving you an idea of the immigration officers thoughts!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We can hope so.

I like being here, so does the op I guess. Thats enough reason.

That's not a good enough reason according to the Thai Immigration laws.

You may be granted a visa or extension of stay for numerous reasons. Because you 'like it here' is not one of them.

You may be granted a visa or extension of stay for numerous reasons. Because you 'like it here' is not one of them.

And he's not trying to extend his stay based on that reason. He's trying to find out what schools offer Skype Thai lessons with the Ed visa so he can continue to study Thai in the area he lives in. Not sure how pointing out a bunch of irrelevant information helps him.

OP- you could try giving http://effectivethai.com a call, see if they can help.

• Like 1

Try "like it here" together with "a good amount of money", suddenly it becomes possible, and your uncalled judgment of what is acceptable goes to the bin.

• Like 1

You're completely dismissing the enormous benefits of living in the country that speaks the language you're learning, there is no better way to learn a language. So no, he can't go home and continue the Skype lessons there, not if he's serious about learning Thai.

• Like 2

You're completely dismissing the enormous benefits of living in the country that speaks the language you're learning, there is no better way to learn a language. So no, he can't go home and continue the Skype lessons there, not if he's serious about learning Thai.

Just going around talking to people should be considered as 'study' for a visa or extension based on education. You guys crack me up. laugh.png

If the purpose of your being in Thailand is to study the language, it seems reasonable that you might be expected to stay in a part of the country where such studies are possible.

If you're in the area you're in for some other reason, you're on the wrong visa.

Just going around talking to people should be considered as 'study' for a visa or extension based on education. You guys crack me up. laugh.png

Says a guy who's never been to university and has no idea of the concept of education. Clueless and out of his depth.

THe OP has an education Visa for the purpose of studying Thai and that is what he is doing, how and where he does it is irrelevant, even to immigration as long as he is studying and can answer their questions in Thai if tested.. However, I thought that you now have to study five days a week.

THe OP has an education Visa for the purpose of studying Thai and that is what he is doing, how and where he does it is irrelevant, even to immigration as long as he is studying and can answer their questions in Thai if tested.. However, I thought that you now have to study five days a week.

The OP has an education visa based on the claim that he's in Thailand to study Thai. If all he's doing is studying online, there's no need for him to be in Thailand to do so. If there is some reason why he has to live in an area where he cannot study, it seems likely that education is not the main reason for his visit.

If you gained a visa based on marriage, then lived in a different province to your wife and only spoke to her on Skype, do you think immigration would be happy to let you stay?

• Like 1

What other solutions for me now ?

Seems like a reasonable question on to stay here and be in compliance with immigrations rules and regulations. Why all the arguing about who is more delusional than whom?

Edited by Suradit69

No reason to be here? Lol.... Yeah... Because I am sure there are tons of Thai people he can practice the language with back in his home country. And as another member already said, maybe he likes living here too.

You exhibit unbelievable arrogance making a statement like this.....

• Like 2

Having to actually go to an actual school, while expecting an educational visa in a country that you have no birth right to be in, never mind stay, it's just too much hassle isn't it.

There's certainly arrogance on display somewhere here.

And a lot of resentful, bored induced bitterness two lines above this one.

Enjoy full flavours delusion when you'll see people that you don't like, still living their lives around you!

• Like 2

Sometimes one has to bend with the wind.......

For all you younger guys who just want to stay in Thailand with your GF, the options are being reduced.

If you are fortunate enough to have money, look to the Elite card, consider whether you want to get married after all.

If you happen to make a bit of income while 'studying the language' well you need a work permit!

These are the people they are trying to weed out.

I envy you, at 30 I had no choice but to go out and work.... I had my retirement to provide for.

• Like 1