Italian dies in Phuket big bike smash

webfact

Italian dies in Phuket big bike smash
Darawan Naknakhon

PHUKET: -- An Italian tourist died after he crashed his rented big bike at a bent on the Patong-Karon road around 5:30 am on Saturday (August 9).

Police named the dead man as Dario Bartolati, 32, and said he apparently lost his control of the motorcycle on the winding road on the hill above the Centara Grand Resort while riding from Patong to Karon in the early morning.

Called to the scene, police and rescue workers found Mr Bartolati lying face down next to the roadside ditch. The red-plate Ducati he was riding was 20 metres away.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/italian-dies-in-phuket-big-bike-smash-47781.php

[pn]2014-08-11[/pn]

you pay your money and take your chance.......for me its not worth taking the chance, for MY thinking at 05:30 am quite possibly alcohol could have been involved, a damaged couple of million bike will also be additional problems for his family

you pay your money and take your chance.......for me its not worth taking the chance, for MY thinking at 05:30 am quite possibly alcohol could have been involved, a damaged couple of million bike will also be additional problems for his family

Couple million baht, doubt that...

But I'm sure that would be the last thing on the families mind right now, they probably won't pay it anyway as they can't lock him up !!

"...a damaged couple of million bike will also be additional problems for his family"

Why would that be?  Did his family rent the bike?

Strange, but earlier reports said he was driving a red CBR.  Do Thai "news" writers ever bother to actually get the real facts of a story before they sit down at their keyboards?

I know, rhetorical question.

Bearing in mind that the media provides these reports for information purposes, not for a critique on how it was written, how does the make or model affect the report?

"...a damaged couple of million bike will also be additional problems for his family"

Legally, the bike should have insurance.

If it's not enough to replace, or fix the bike, then that is the owners fault.

From OP;  

An Italian tourist died after he crashed his rented big bike 

also terryp..Its a Ducati monster priced between smaller basic model 410000 to top spec biggest model 875000..no way a couple of million..

Edited by andreandre

Are rented vehicles required to have 1st party insurance?

Are rented vehicles required to have 1st party insurance?

Don't know, but, jet-skis obviously don't.

Strange, but earlier reports said he was driving a red CBR.  Do Thai "news" writers ever bother to actually get the real facts of a story before they sit down at their keyboards?

Bearing in mind that the media provides these reports for information purposes, not for a critique on how it was written, how does the make or model affect the report?

Gee, I don't know, but I'll take a stab at it.  How about being FACTUALLY CORRECT on what's reported?  Is that so hard to do?  Oh, wait, this is Thailand, so that's a rhetorical question. cheesy.gif 

whenever i read 'accident on rented big bike' i often wonder if they have ever ridden big bikes back home? ive seen oil workers rent and even buy the biggest most powerful bike possible..................and then carp themselves at speeds over 100kph.....in a straight line. corners? errrr? nah!

He was Italian, therefore he must have been driving a Ducati!  No? tongue.png cheesy.gif

Different incident, different story, different province.

Strike this one up to reader error.

I read about this accident on 09-08-2014 on Phuket Wan's site. It was a red Ducati. Interesting that Phuket News takes two days to post the same story and left out many details. I guess they must have read about it somewhere online? xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p

Doesn't it feel weird riding that ducati with no helmet on? Oh wait... he's handsome.

No helmet says a lot about the rider. Once again, I am grateful the accident was a single party and didn't affect other road users. Is this like the 4th motorbike news accident I've read today?!blink.png

Morning roads = wet dew on roads, oil slicks on the center of the road starting to dissipate, etc. Something all riders should know, what time of the day, to look out for what what what. thumbsup.gif

Never ever lean on a corner, when you can't see the road ahead of you. If the mountain is at your right, and the road curves to the right. SLOW! to turtle speed, for all you know there is traffic jam with a parked truck tongue.png

Now, when the mountain is on your right, and the road curves to left, you can see everything. VROoom vroom to your desire.biggrin.png

• Like 1

I think the people renting the bikes should be jailed if they are caught renting a big bike to anyone without proper qualification to ride one.A legal requirement to have fully comprehensive and life insurance cover in place.

I think a proper bike licence ( not a joke Thai one ) plus proof you have ridden a big bike,( a photo of your big bike in your yard at home etc)would cut these deaths down massively,if not close to zero. Because a real bike rider just would not get on a bike without protection,pissed,at all hours in the morning and hurl the thing down the road.

The insurance wouldn't pay out if the paper work was not done correctly and diligence by the vender carried out .SO HE WOULD HAVE TO PAY ,THEN GO TO JAIL FOR MANSLAUGHTER.    These two things would stop this situation.   These people are making good profits on over inflated bike prices when things go wrong,and then a death is a payout ,without any problems for them. I would like more detailed information about A,the accident, B,the qualifications of the riders and C who are the dealers.    Who is making money out of this!!!!!     The dealers is the answer. does any dealer renting big bikes to young kids want to debate my thinking? 

I think the people renting the bikes should be jailed if they are caught renting a big bike to anyone without proper qualification to ride one.A legal requirement to have fully comprehensive and life insurance cover in place.

I think a proper bike licence ( not a joke Thai one ) plus proof you have ridden a big bike,( a photo of your big bike in your yard at home etc)would cut these deaths down massively,if not close to zero. Because a real bike rider just would not get on a bike without protection,pissed,at all hours in the morning and hurl the thing down the road.

The insurance wouldn't pay out if the paper work was not done correctly and diligence by the vender carried out .SO HE WOULD HAVE TO PAY ,THEN GO TO JAIL FOR MANSLAUGHTER.    These two things would stop this situation.   These people are making good profits on over inflated bike prices when things go wrong,and then a death is a payout ,without any problems for them. I would like more detailed information about A,the accident, B,the qualifications of the riders and C who are the dealers.    Who is making money out of this!!!!!     The dealers is the answer. does any dealer renting big bikes to young kids want to debate my thinking? 

First of all RIP to this guy..and of course ,sadly any death has far reaching ramifications to family and friends.

As to your whole post..in a word; Rubbish !

People have to be responsible for their own actions [unless of course they are minors] 

You are assuming only that the guy had no experience,on riding a big bike or no real licence, no insurance, and was 'pissed''..bah.gif

He could have been the best rider in the world and still had the same result..on holiday and being a bit carefree..Yes? 

• Like 2

It is so sad, but it happens all over the world. Such a waste of life. And, for the nit pickers worrying about the exact make of bike, why pick on the Thai journalists? I realise Thai bashing seems to be standard behaviour on many of these threads, but it's quite unreasonable. Try reading an English newspaper, or indeed, any other nationality. In any language, journalism is not the honourable profession it claims to be; Journalists are generally not that well educated, contrary to what they'd like you to believe and lastly, remember the old Fleet Street adage... 'Never let the truth get in the way of a good story'.