Are You On Skype?

Jockstar

So are any of you on skype? I'd imagine that quite a few are. But thats not the problem. Skype allows people you dont know to contact you. I have just got this chick who got in contact. It did ask do you want this person to see when you are on line. I'd had a few beers and thought it was messenger and not skype and i also thought i recognised the address. Anyway no worries yet. Just wondered have any of you been invited to be in contact etc? So basically anyone can say hello and be in contact. Not sure if i like that. But then again i didnt need to accept. Though i blame working too hard and a few beers. Any stories?

If you open Skype, in the top menu select Tools>Options (all the way down) and click "privacy". There you can set your call and chat settings if you really don't want to be called by people you don't know.

Also, if someone already on your list is harassing you or you just want to get rid of him/her (and how can you tell anyway?), just right-click the name and select "block this user".

"problem" solved!

Good luck

Not stressed about this. But got this chick from Namibia talking to me. I know i dont have to talk. But it just seems strange to me that people would try and get talking to someone they have never met. I suppose its like a chatroom thing. But not my beat. PS. I THINK I"M WAITING ON A SCAM!!!

Skypes the same as other messenger programs like ICQ msn and yahoo messenger etc. Some people just like chatting to others on the net. Some look for people in certain locations to chat with, others just try random chats.

I get unknown people saying hi all the time but just ignore them.

me too, but i never get random calls or text messages.

Must be the only man in Los!! :o

nope, here's the 2nd in Thailand ... never EVER had one single random call or chat message in 3 years of using skype. Unfortunately one might say :-)

Then again, I do not do the same to other Skype users, nor do I post my skype name anywhere on the net (except eBay), but I am online 24/7, and friends and family all over the world can contact me anytime. Maybe our profile is not tempting enough?

I used to have skype but too many unknown calls from the person i dont know ... so not using it anymore as im using a standalone Ip Phone now

It sounds like your setting is "Skype Me" ..... not advised ... :o

I have had three random calls.

One from some drunken students in Wales, one from a very nice German gilrl and another from a fantastic girl in America. Her boyfriend had gone abroad on business and she was bored! We spent 6 hours talking all night.

Don't know where she got my number from but I was glad she called!

Chris

Most IM are set by default to allow contacts from people you don't know. So let's get this clear: it's the default, it's not only for Skype, and you can change it to do the exact opposite, if you just took the time. Some people like it this way, some people don't.

Problem is, most users don't care/bother/know to change the default settings for any programs. Should we blame the program for this?

Skype has various settings.. Totally open.. Recieve calls from people on contact list etc..

What I dont seem to understand is where people find my skype info from.. I keep getting Thais (male and female) contacting to chat / learn english / etc.. I cant seem to ever get a straight answer as to where they saw my profile where they found my details or where I am listed (they know I am english speaking in Thailand)..

I dont Want to block people not on my contact list for my own reasons.

they saw my profile where they found my details or where I am listed (they know I am english speaking in Thailand)..

Thats exactly it. You have your skype name then what language you wanted when you installed it and also your location. So anyone can get these details if they want to and you let them. Try it yourself.

Has anyone got more than 1 PC 2 PC Skype a/c for private & business calls?

Sorry, an English translation please???!!!

Got two Chinese girls who've added me to Skype. Not sure how or why... Not bothered if more want to join the list though, as someone said earlier if any hassle comes of it you just "Block this user".

Has anyone got more than 1 PC 2 PC Skype a/c for private & business calls?

Sorry, an English translation please???!!!

Got two Chinese girls who've added me to Skype. Not sure how or why... Not bothered if more want to join the list though, as someone said earlier if any hassle comes of it you just "Block this user".

Get a Thai to translate... :o

Or, read it twice, all will be revealed. :D

So are any of you on skype? I'd imagine that quite a few are. But thats not the problem. Skype allows people you dont know to contact you. I have just got this chick who got in contact. It did ask do you want this person to see when you are on line. I'd had a few beers and thought it was messenger and not skype and i also thought i recognised the address. Anyway no worries yet. Just wondered have any of you been invited to be in contact etc? So basically anyone can say hello and be in contact. Not sure if i like that. But then again i didnt need to accept. Though i blame working too hard and a few beers. Any stories?

have you switched on the skype me modus ?

i got some gal named "sexy su" from rawai, thailand who msgd me today. language spoken "german". i ignored here :o cause my wife uses this computer and skype name a lot. how sad ! .. i get on average 2-3 invitations a month! ..

Not stressed about this. But got this chick from Namibia talking to me. I know i dont have to talk. But it just seems strange to me that people would try and get talking to someone they have never met. I suppose its like a chatroom thing. But not my beat. PS. I THINK I"M WAITING ON A SCAM!!!

Probably the same bird I had. I gave her my bank details so she could put $20,000,000 into my account, said if I did she would give me 20%.

Never heard back from her though, had a feeling it was too good to be true :o

• 6 months later...
What I dont seem to understand is where people find my skype info from.. I keep getting Thais (male and female) contacting to chat / learn english / etc.. I cant seem to ever get a straight answer as to where they saw my profile where they found my details or where I am listed (they know I am english speaking in Thailand)..

umm, you just search contacts on Skype e.g. a search for English speaking females in Bangkok aged 20-23 years turns up 50 profiles.