Household Goods and Car Shipping Companies

pjthefey

Hello!

Before coming to Thailand I lived in Korea where I have a car and a bunch of household goods that need to be relocated to Bangkok.  Can anyone tell me any good container shipping companies to help me out?    I've been talking to one place but they have been dragging their feet for two weeks about getting me a shipping schedule, and I need to get things on a ship leaving Korea by the end of the month. 

Thanks!

Jun 

Can't help with companies, but forget the car, it will cost many times what it's worth even if you get it through the customs nightmare (and if it's left-hand-drive you wouldn't want to be driving it here anyway).

Stick with household stuff.

Is Korea still 115V 60Hz? if so forget the electricals too.

Last time I moved was 1989 and lots might have changed since then, this was Port Sudan to Bangkok.  In any case, I used the predecessor to CROWN RELOCATIONS for the Thai portion of the move, including customs.  Satisfied with their service.

But, you should perhaps reconsider shipment of your car.  Thai Customs duties can be quite high on imported vehicles.  Best to look into this before the move.

Mac

Last time I moved was 1989 and lots might have changed since then, this was Port Sudan to Bangkok.  In any case, I used the predecessor to CROWN RELOCATIONS for the Thai portion of the move, including customs.  Satisfied with their service.

But, you should perhaps reconsider shipment of your car.  Thai Customs duties can be quite high on imported vehicles.  Best to look into this before the move.

Mac

I just sent them a request for a quote.    

As for the taxes on the car, I'm not too worried because it's only a temporary import.   Bringing the char to Thailand for 6 months before sending it somewhere else is much less of a hassle than trying to sell it in Korea when I no longer live there and have a language barrier working against me. 

Mac

As for the taxes on the car, I'm not too worried because it's only a temporary import.   Bringing the char to Thailand for 6 months before sending it somewhere else is much less of a hassle than trying to sell it in Korea when I no longer live there and have a language barrier working against me. 

Driving in Thailand is bad enough without upping the chances of an accident in a left hand drive car. As has already been suggested I would sell it over there.

Mac

So you need to have all this packed and on the boat from Korea by the end of the month, I assume you have all your import documents already processed and approved.

I think you'll find the language barrier is a lot harder with Thai customs when you try to get the car off the dock.

I think you'll find the language barrier is a lot harder with Thai customs when you try to get the car off the dock.

Nah I imagine perfect English will come out.  'Where is your permission to import a car ? Oh you haven't got any, thank you for donating your car to us'.

Mac

I would confidently predict that the hassle of paying the Thai taxes on Import and, much worse, trying to re-claim those taxes on re-Export would be far more frustrating than anything you would have to deal with when selling the car in Korea.

Patrick

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mac

Driving in Thailand is bad enough without upping the chances of an accident in a left hand drive car. As has already been suggested I would sell it over there.

Forget the car - even with everything supposedly approved - when I went to get it after they said come get it they denied mine entry - spent 720,000B trying every conceivable way....was left with a choice to turn it over to them or send back to the states....since I already have a car & RV there in storage with just me to drive and it would have meant more expense - a flight back and hassling with customs and re-registering I gave it up.....

I also know of some people that brought one in as a temporary (race car for competition) shipped it back to where it came from - and a year and counting later have not gotten their deposit back no matter which avenue they're pursued - 300,000B I think.....my advice - don't even try....