Multi Non-O's and extensions

another thread has got me wondering. Is it possible for  someone to  get a Non-O multi entry and at the end of the first 90 days decide , rather than have the hassle of a border run, to just go to the local immigration and get a 60 day extension? And then at the end of these 60 days, do a border run to activate another entry and repeat this process until the expiry of the visa? 

I did it on the second entry of my first ever Multi Non-O after I got sick of border trips, but I got a one year extension rather than the 60 day one and never used the multi Non-o again.

Edited by mxyzptlk

Yes you can. 

Some people have been doing it for every 90 day entry from their visa.

thank you joe, I was hoping you'd amble by once again. but am I right in assuming that the visa still only lasts the original one year duration and then there is one more 60 day extension or 90 day entry if done before the expiration date??

so a  17 month term?? okay. but I'm glad to hear I can just go to immigration for another 60 days for a total of 150 days with no border run  which will suffice . But I will buy the multi just in case I decide to visit some friends in Lao or for some reason I cant get the extension. I like to hedge all bets .

Edited by AYJAYDEE

Yes you can. 

I believe there was a report of a poster that was told the 2 months extension can be given only once on the same visa.

Still worth a try though.

personally I only need one. i just want to ensure it can be done on the first entry.

Yes you can. 

I believe there was a report of a poster that was told the 2 months extension can be given only once on the same visa.

Still worth a try though.

It is once per entry not visa.

The problem comes from people calling the permit to stay from an entry a visa which it is not.

• Like 2

What I think I remember was this:

Poster came into Thailand with a non o, extended it for 2 months, next stayed in Thailand with yearly extensions.

After years for some reason he asked again for 2 months extension (I suppose his 1 year ran out, and did not renew it).

He was then denied the 2 months extension, "because you can get only once 2 months on the same visa" (?)

I even remember - if I am not mistaken - that another mod commented that this was a harsh interpretation of the rules.

So there may be different interpretations at different im offices.

Still, even if you can only once get the extension for visiting wife, that means 5 months continuous stay, with 1 visit to immigration and 1.900 baht.

Next trip home to Europe, I will apply for the non im o multi (as I always do), ask for 2 months after the first 3 months, and try again after 1 boarder run. That would mean 10 months in Thailand with 1 boarder run and 2 visits to immigration.

• Like 2

Coming in with a visa and getting a 90 entry and then extending it for 60 days and then extending that same entry for one year would mean that you had already gotten a 60 day extension on that entry they could deny it.

Again you are confusing extensions with visas. Once you are in the country you are on a permit to stay not a visa.

• Like 1

What I think I remember was this:

Poster came into Thailand with a non o, extended it for 2 months, next stayed in Thailand with yearly extensions.

After years for some reason he asked again for 2 months extension (I suppose his 1 year ran out, and did not renew it).

He was then denied the 2 months extension, "because you can get only once 2 months on the same visa" (?)

I even remember - if I am not mistaken - that another mod commented that this was a harsh interpretation of the rules.

So there may be different interpretations at different im offices.

Still, even if you can only once get the extension for visiting wife, that means 5 months continuous stay, with 1 visit to immigration and 1.900 baht.

Next trip home to Europe, I will apply for the non im o multi (as I always do), ask for 2 months after the first 3 months, and try again after 1 boarder run. That would mean 10 months in Thailand with 1 boarder run and 2 visits to immigration.

that 5 months is perfect for me

I have had a multiple *0* For years...In my own ignorance, I never knew this was possible.

I am due to do a border hop this weekend as my 90 days are nearly up but now I may just go to Cheang Wattana on Monday to extend for another 60 days..

Could anyone answer if I need any other documentation apart from my passport and I presume I would have to do a 90 day report?

Cheers, DsD.

I have had a multiple *0* For years...In my own ignorance, I never knew this was possible.

I am due to do a border hop this weekend as my 90 days are nearly up but now I may just go to Cheang Wattana on Monday to extend for another 60 days..

Could anyone answer if I need any other documentation apart from my passport and I presume I would have to do a 90 day report?

Cheers, DsD.

The 60 day extension is only possible if you are married to a Thai or have a Thai child.

You wife or child will have to go with you when you apply.

You will need your marriage certificate or birth certificate of your child plus a copy.

Their house book and if your wife then her ID card.

Sounds good news for a pal of mine. How much for the 60 day extension in order to make a total stay of 150 days?. He is on a (first time) recently obtained non O, Thai wife, One year multi entry from Savanekhet.