Visa & Visa extensions based on Thai child

Hi there,

briefly description of the situation:

I'm 51, was married 10 years with Thai woman, have one daughter together, divorced 1 year ago in Germany, 

Mother back to Thailand, Daughter the last 2.5 years only by me, German decree of divorce says daughter will stay be me!

My daughter has an Thai passport and Thai birth certificate with me as father of course.

I like to move to Thailand with my daughter for a few years. It give a lot of reason why I like to do this. 

This should not be in question now.

What kind of visa I can apply for Thailand depending on support of my daughter in Thailand and what are the requirements?

I have read the follow post:
http://www.thaivisa.com/extensionsextension-based-on-support-of-a-child.html

What is the actual situation now?

Thanks very much in advanced

Regards

Uwe

You can apply for a non-O visa in Germany with show of the legal custody of your Thai child.

In Thailand you can get 1 year extensions of stay if you can show an income of 40,000 a month OR 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand in your name. You will need proof that you have custody over the child and you might need to have the child on a household registration book.

What about this?

Getting an extension to a visa is paramount to being able to stay in Thailand long term.  For those who are not employed, not married to a Thai national, or do not qualify for a retirement extension, but have Thai children, one option was the extension based on support of a Thai child. However, since Oct 1st 2006 the rules regarding this type of extension were radically changed.

Before it was possible to obtain a yearly extension based on the fact that you were supporting your Thai child.  This was particularly useful for those who were not married to a Thai , or not over 50yrs old (to qualify forretirement extension ).

As of Oct 1st 2006 this option is no longer available.

It has been replaced as such by rule 7.17/5   This rule stipulates that a person over 50yrs of age can apply for an extension based on a Thai child supporting their parent, with no financial requirement as in other extension types.

Here it says: A person over 50yrs of age can apply for an extension based on a Thai child supporting their parent, with no financial requirement 

True / Not true?

True, per 29th of August.

But it is unclear what it means in practice. All we have to go on is the wording of the rule, the question is how immigration will interpret the new rule.

Hi Mario2008,

you have an link where I can find the RULE 7.17/5 on an official Thai site in Thai?

The opening post here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749918-thai-immigration-issues-new-police-order-3272557-effective-august-29-2014/

Gives links to the 2 documents you need in both English and Thai. The Thai version is of course the official version.

1 document gives the rules and the other the required documents you need to submit.

Does you child have enough money to support you is the key question? I don't think she is old enough to do that.

Unfortunately not, she is 10 years old and happy to stay be me here in Thailand and

visit an private school.

True, per 29th of August.

But it is unclear what it means in practice. All we have to go on is the wording of the rule, the question is how immigration will interpret the new rule.

Hi Mario2008,

you have an link where I can find the RULE 7.17/5 on an official Thai site in Tha

I can't find any 7 17/5 in the text

Does you child have enough money to support you is the key question? I don't think she is old enough to do that.

Unfortunately not, she is 10 years old and happy to stay be me here in Thailand and

visit an private school.

The meaning of the new rule regarding being supported by your Thai child is still unclear. However, the wording in my opinion suggests that it is enough that you have a Thai child and are over 50 years old. It is normal that a child supports his older father.

If you look at the current police order 777/2551 it already gives a person with Permanent Residency the possibility to support his parents, without any financial requirements on the PR holder or the person he supports. This will remained the same with the new police order.

It seems that what the new police order does is giving a Thai nationals the same rights as a PR-holder already has for taking care of his elderly parent(s), without any age restrictions on the Thai national or any income requirements.

But as said, that is only my opinion.

That paragraph still has the requirement of 40.000/400.000 as has been required for "Thai child"

The new police order says this under sub 5:

(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income

of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of

no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year.

In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of

father or mother must be 50 years of age or over.

The last sentence is new and now allows a parent of 50 years or older to be under the maintenance of his or her Thai child. In that case there are no financial requirements on either the parent or the Thai child.

The last sentence is new and now allows a parent of 50 years or older to be under the maintenance of his or her Thai child. In that case there are no financial requirements on either the parent or the Thai child.

Is there an age limit on the child?

Does the child have to provide any sort of evidence of being able and/or willing to support the parent?

blink.png

I'm obviously missing something here  blink.png

If this is true then there would be a rush of retirees begging to be named as fathers on birth certificates of any unmarried mother they could find. whistling.gif

Something must have been lost in translation.

Has anyone actually tried for this type of visa?

wink.png

I'm obviously missing something here  blink.png

If this is true then there would be a rush of retirees begging to be named as fathers on birth certificates of any unmarried mother they could find. whistling.gif

Something must have been lost in translation.

Has anyone actually tried for this type of visa?

wink.png

Nothing has changed. With just a name on a birth certificate (that doesn't make one the legal father) the most one can get is a single entry visa, or a 60 days extension.