Israel extends spousal equal rights to same sex couples making Aliyah

Jingthing

Aliyah refers to the right of return of Jewish people to Israel. Previously non-Jewish spouses of those migrating to Israel were welcome as well. But not same sex spouses. Now non-Jewish same sex spouses are equally welcome.

This is interesting in the context that Israel itself does not allow same sex marriage or same sex civil unions done IN Israel. 

Sa'ar announces change to Law of Return which had previously only allowed for heterosexual partners to receive Israeli citizenship.

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Interior-Minster-Saar-Jews-can-now-make-aliya-together-with-same-sex-partners-370837

Note: Kindly limit any comments about this to the gay civil rights aspect of this news story.

Edited by Jingthing

I believe there are countries where the spouse is not allowed to emigrate from.   Will that apply to same sex spouses?  If a gay Arab marries another gay Arab from a prohibited country can the spouse emigrate?

I reckon whatever restrictions like that that might exist would apply both to gay and straight couples. Seems logical anyway.

Aliyah is only for Jewish people as the spouse making Aliyah. So the gay Arab in your question would need to be a gay Arab Jew.

Also this new change doesn't change the situation for current Israeli citizens Jews or Arabs and their spouses.

There is currently a spike in interest in Aliyah from western Europe particularly France ... so of course some of those people will be gay and married.
Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by Jingthing