Probably ?

Asked the lawyer section 5 days ago, must to hard to answer, because no responds.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749993-helping-friend-with-house-work/

Is it allowed to help a friend with painting and some light carpentry work and such in his house/apartment?

Of course it is non-paid.

Just worried if this would be considered working, since he and I have no work permit.

Thanks

Edited by CharlieH

Asked the lawyer section 5 days ago, must to hard to answer, because no responds.

The probable reason for lack of response,  August 9-12 was a public holiday for the Queen's Birthday.  Now that the holiday is over, and people are back to work, an answer may be coming soon. 

• Like 1

I think anything that can be construed as working and taking a job away from a Thai is not allowed.....as you are the "helper" not the owner or primary they might interpret it as a problem....I think construction - in this case could be seen as reconstruction/refitting is prohibited....

Some things we took for granted at home might be a problem here.....handy work is enjoyable.....

If you are out of sight maybe OK but I wouldn't reccommend carrying a bunch of tools or supplies in and being seen......

I've been doing DIY inside and outside the house(s) for years- of course it's OK as long as it's your ( his ) home. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be selling tools to farangs at all the stores.

I wouldm't be doing it for any Thai friends of my wife though. The news would quickly spread about the farang doing work for free!

• Like 1

I'm sure the OP would like a definitive answer, but that's not possible. Will someone report you? Will the cops decide to take it seriously? No one can really say.

I think in that situation I'd find a Thai neighbor who would be willing to hang out with you and the owner and help a bit in exchange for lunch and coupla beers. You can be his DIY mentor, "teaching him valuable work skills".     

I'm sure the OP would like a definitive answer, but that's not possible. Will someone report you? Will the cops decide to take it seriously? No one can really say.

I think in that situation I'd find a Thai neighbor who would be willing to hang out with you and the owner and help a bit in exchange for lunch and coupla beers. You can be his DIY mentor, "teaching him valuable work skills".     

Teaching with out a work permit.  LOL.. I'm just joking.

• Like 1

Was there not some issue regarding people building their own boats in their own backyards?  Any increase in the value of the property is "income".  But who will report you?  Maybe Thai officials are reading your post right now ? ;)

• Like 1

Was there not some issue regarding people building their own boats in their own backyards?  Any increase in the value of the property is "income".  But who will report you?  Maybe Thai officials are reading your post right now ? wink.png

That is only a problem in you built them with intend to sell and so make money. Building your own boat for your self is perfectly OK, just as repairing your car or house.

This is the link to the story.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/articles/articles/get_article_detail/22294

The point of contention was they were building the boats in order to sell, therefore, working illegally.

So, if he were doing up the place, to sell, there could be a problem. 

Of course, he would deny that's the case, but there seems to be a presumption of guilt in Thailand, not innocence, so he would somehow have to prove he has no intention of selling the property.

For you, regardless of paid, or volunteering, my understanding is you are working.  Once again, the onus will be on you to prove you have not been, which would be quite difficult, given the circumstances you describe.

• Like 1

Was there not some issue regarding people building their own boats in their own backyards?  Any increase in the value of the property is "income".  But who will report you?  Maybe Thai officials are reading your post right now ? wink.png

That is only a problem in you built them with intend to sell and so make money. Building your own boat for your self is perfectly OK, just as repairing your car or house.

That's the key -- you say "repair"  --  restore to previous condition - implying no increase in value.  The OP said renovate - implying a distinct increase in value on resale...   Given the boat story and the implication there that it is actually NOT ok to build your own boat it seems that innocence must be proved. :(

If somebody really wants to cause you problems, he could probably go to report you.

But unless the people living around really have serious personal problems with you, I wouldn't worry.

I've renovated 2 houses of the local temple for free, and nobody complained about that.

Edited by kriswillems

I think anything that can be construed as working and taking a job away from a Thai is not allowed.....as you are the "helper" not the owner or primary they might interpret it as a problem....I think construction - in this case could be seen as reconstruction/refitting is prohibited....

Some things we took for granted at home might be a problem here.....handy work is enjoyable.....

If you are out of sight maybe OK but I wouldn't reccommend carrying a bunch of tools or supplies in and being seen......

This alone is not true because legally you need a work permit for unpaid volunteer work as well.  Even if you are working for free with an NGO, you are supposed to have a work permit.  It is not all about taking jobs from Thais.

However, I would not be concerned if I was helping my friend with some house work for a few days.  

Edited by inbangkok
  • Like 1