What makes 'Thai-style democracy' globally palatable?

webfact

You know what stands out a mile with you lot on this thread---you all follow the same rhetoric, and seldom do you speak about the wrongs of your defunct government. If you included some once in a while it's worth talking -but I have said before you lot are a waste of time. same as PTP was.

Corruption and/or incompetence in government gets sorted out at the polling stations and via the ballot, which is where the violent goons were Feb 2nd to prevent the sorting out from occurring.

The anti-democracy people around here made themselves clear when they supported the goons on Feb 2nd.

Before and since.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 2

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what stands out a mile with you lot on this thread---you all follow the same rhetoric, and seldom do you speak about the wrongs of your defunct government. If you included some once in a while it's worth talking -but I have said before you lot are a waste of time. same as PTP was.

Corruption and/or incompetence in government gets sorted out at the polling stations and via the ballot, which is where the violent goons were Feb 2nd to prevent the sorting out from occurring.

The anti-democracy people around here made themselves clear when they supported the goons on Feb 2nd.

Before and since.

I got a laugh on this thread as my thoughts would sure to bring in the clan-so to speak, one rhetoric, pro Thaksin style democracy, and anti military intervention. So I will leave you all to scramble onto uncle rubes thread-with fab. Without me on here today this thread would have long gone.

Try some other non political threads for a change, like the coins--or theThai Airways topic. I love interventions when they rid of pathetic governing. BYE

1. true.

2. Not talking about past election results-----how many times have the ruling party been banned ??? how many of it's members have been banned?? How many times has the party been slung out ??? we are talking Thaksin here.

3 Past military interventions were near for the same reasons.

4 Look up what Yingluck did, she what ???

5 I will be here, carry on with your rhetoric/agenda and your stay could well be shorter than mine. Huddle up close to the 7 of you who are the strongest and get energized.

You still haven't explained why you need to base your arguments on falsehoods:

1) Why did you tell me that the army did not kick out the last government, when they quite clearly did? Why do you need to put this falsehood forward to support your position?

2) Did you research past military dictatorships in Thailand yet? What reasons did they give to overthrow civilian rule? Did these past military dictatorships turn out to be clean or corrupt? Why are you clinging to a falsehood that causes you to so vigorously refute any legitimate doubt as to why this one will be any different? If the junta is at ease with itself and its noble motives, then why are the majority of the NLA from the military, and why do they need to censor the press?

On that last point in particular, there is still perplexity around why you seem to trust unconditionally a military dictatorship that will censor news of what it does before it ever reaches you. Why do you think it needs to do that, and how will you be able to reasonably compare it with what it replaced?

Of course, I forgot, you can go home if it doesn't work out. It's easy to support the risky and irreversible course when it's someone else's country, right?

What stands out on this thread is your agenda. It stands out like a London Bus in a bicycle shed! I think all of us whom you repeatedly accuse of blindly supporting the previous government can see that you are devoted to the Junta, in awe of the General and cannot abide to hear any criticism.

Fine, it is your right, your passion does you credit. But you should acknowledge that others may hold differing views, out of equally deep seated convictions.

Oh, and why not leave out the veiled threats about people not being here for much longer if they continue to hold these views. There are some here who would,I suspect, happily shop fellow posters if they thought they could - somehow, irascible as you are, I don't think you are one of them!

Edited by JAG

Oh good, so you can give us examples of military dictatorships that ended well.

this is the world's first 'good' military dictatorship

Julius Caesar did a pretty good job (allegedly), and Attila the Hun, not to mention Alexander the Great.

(They all looked promising, but sadly didn't end well)

and Silvio Berlusconi to stay within the last few decades and even our own Thaksin. Looked promising at first ...

Before and since.

The frantic push for Feb2 elections only showed the non-democratic intent the Yingluck Administration had. They thought to get another mandate to ignore all Thai and only concentrate on helping their great thinker.

The anti-democracy people here seem those who confuse elections with democracy.

A few minutes ago I was watching a replay of the Coventry vs Cardiff Championship match on cable when up pops the NCPO's logo, followed by their daily update on the 'news'. Yesterday I was at one of the outlying departments of a certain Ministry listening to a senior person saying that the future direction of policy will not be clear until the coming of the next government. These are just two snapshots of current life in Thailand that leave me deeply uneasy. Plenty of posters here are comfortable with the regime we have now, but I cannot share that sentiment, I don't think that most Western countries will be slow to tell the emperor that he has no clothes.

1. true.

2. Not talking about past election results-----how many times have the ruling party been banned ??? how many of it's members have been banned?? How many times has the party been slung out ??? we are talking Thaksin here.

5 I will be here, carry on with your rhetoric/agenda and your stay could well be shorter than mine. Huddle up close to the 7 of you who are the strongest and get energized.

1) Why did you tell me that the army did not kick out the last government, when they quite clearly did? Why do you need to put this falsehood forward to support your position?

2) Did you research past military dictatorships in Thailand yet? What reasons did they give to overthrow civilian rule? Did these past military dictatorships turn out to be clean or corrupt? Why are you clinging to a falsehood that causes you to so vigorously refute any legitimate doubt as to why this one will be any different? If the junta is at ease with itself and its noble motives, then why are the majority of the NLA from the military, and why do they need to censor the press?

On that last point in particular, there is still perplexity around why you seem to trust unconditionally a military dictatorship that will censor news of what it does before it ever reaches you. Why do you think it needs to do that, and how will you be able to reasonably compare it with what it replaced?

Of course, I forgot, you can go home if it doesn't work out. It's easy to support the risky and irreversible course when it's someone else's country, right?

What stands out on this thread is your agenda. It stands out like a London Bus in a bicycle shed! I think all of us whom you repeatedly accuse of blindly supporting the previous government can see that you are devoted to the Junta, in awe of the General and cannot abide to hear any criticism.

Fine, it is your right, your passion does you credit. But you should acknowledge that others may hold differing views, out of equally deep seated convictions.

Oh, and why not leave out the veiled threats about people not being here for much longer if they continue to hold these views. There are some here who would,I suspect, happily shop fellow posters if they thought they could - somehow, irascible as you are, I don't think you are one of them!

Don't have an agenda mate, or a lover of military rule in general, I love countries that are not controlled by families, and especially from overseas.

I do not agree to paid red villages, I did not like donkey's years ago Thaksins gagging of TV and media, but a big outcry from you lot that the army is doing it.

Everyone has been warned about groups that have an anti army agenda are at this minute not wanted until the clean up has been completed.

The agenda has just been spelled out on this topic and I came on to test that and it worked, list the ones that follow this disruptive attitude they are mostly here on this thread--why gang together ?? non have different views take a look at the answers I have had from who??

Most of the TVF have varied views across the board sort of law of averages, this political wing here on this thread is for all to see. TRUTH, it is your prerogative, is it healthy ???? all other posters that seem happy with the running now (majority) to this threads clan are all wrong. enjoy.

1. true.

All I was doing was asking perfectly legitimate questions, so that I could better understand the rationale behind your argument.

For one who is so vocal in condemning all opposing views, I'm rather surprised to hear that this cop out "I'm wasting my valuable time with you lot" is all that you've got left to say.

A few minutes ago I was watching a replay of the Coventry vs Cardiff Championship match on cable when up pops the NCPO's logo, followed by their daily update on the 'news'. Yesterday I was at one of the outlying departments of a certain Ministry listening to a senior person saying that the future direction of policy will not be clear until the coming of the next government. These are just two snapshots of current life in Thailand that leave me deeply uneasy. Plenty of posters here are comfortable with the regime we have now, but I cannot share that sentiment, I don't think that most Western countries will be slow to tell the emperor that he has no clothes.

I am all for this governing clean up, I do not hide the fact. I do bash when needed, and I know the army has to get the breaking news across that never was given for years. But watching a classic movie that incredibly never did see, Just as the crucial ending got near the broadcast came on and I missed the bleeding end. I growled a bit but better the clean up and info, than my stupid craving for the ending.

1. true.

All I was doing was asking perfectly legitimate questions, so that I could better understand the rationale behind your argument.

For one who is so vocal in condemning all opposing views, I'm rather surprised to hear that this cop out "I'm wasting my valuable time with you lot" is all that you've got left to say.

OTT my valuable time you said--I didn't.

Sorry but your legitimate questions come with the same rhetoric as the others on this thread ---read them the ones that oppose my thoughts, interesting are they not.

I do not condemn all opposing views only the ones on an agenda, it's unhealthy to me. This to me is one view.

If you people leave out all that has happened with military in the past, and looked at the present situation Thailand is experiencing, it is better at this time than any time in the last 3 years, if the clan here argue with that there problem I don't have a problem at all I for the time being are going with the flow.

Do you think most posters are so crazy as to have not noticed this group, Near all are just on political army snide comments and entering into the same arguments day in day out.

Your questions may be valid but they come at the wrong time among all the other scathing attacks I endured.

I am all for this governing clean up, I do not hide the fact. I do bash when needed, and I know the army has to get the breaking news across that never was given for years. But watching a classic movie that incredibly never did see, Just as the crucial ending got near the broadcast came on and I missed the bleeding end. I growled a bit but better the clean up and info, than my stupid craving for the ending.

Probably not your thing, but according to the famous French social theorist Michel Foucault, government (and especially totalitarian government) works best when the people can be induced to accept responsibilty for governing themselves through internalising the messages received from on high. Your last sentence suggests that something similar is working here. I'd say you had the right to choose between seeing the end of your movie or switching over to the army 'news' channel.

Edited by citizen33

Probably not your thing, but according to the famous French social theorist Michel Foucault, government (and especially totalitarian government) works best when the people can be induced to accept responsibilty for governing themselves through internalising the messages received from on high. Your last sentence suggests that something similar is working here. I'd say you had the right to choose between seeing the end of your movie or switching over to the army 'news' channel.

Your last sentence --you make a good point and valid. Again I have to point out That if the army have to inform the people then they for the time being have to use the media. NOT facebook like the last PM. Thai people do not buy the daily mirror or Mail, the way is to inform them.

Disturbing it may be But my thought is it is in the interim so time is the thing that will answer much.

1. true.

Sorry but your legitimate questions come with the same rhetoric as the others on this thread ---read them the ones that oppose my thoughts, interesting are they not.

I do not condemn all opposing views only the ones on an agenda, it's unhealthy to me. This to me is one view.

If you people leave out all that has happened with military in the past, and looked at the present situation Thailand is experiencing, it is better at this time than any time in the last 3 years, if the clan here argue with that there problem I don't have a problem at all I for the time being are going with the flow.

Do you think most posters are so crazy as to have not noticed this group, Near all are just on political army snide comments and entering into the same arguments day in day out.

Your questions may be valid but they come at the wrong time among all the other scathing attacks I endured.

I am with you on the present pleasant situation and totally agreed that none of past governments have accomplished what the junta have done in bringing order to the infamous beaches, taxi mafia etc. These are what many described as low hanging fruits which will made many foreigners and tourists very happy. But if you talk to the local, they are more concern with matters that will shape their future. The make-up of the NLA do not bring much comfort, gagging of the press mades them uneasy and what kind of changes to the political reform creates much anxiety. Meaty stuff rather than the clean-up of Hua Hin.

Ah - got it.

You condemn views with what you perceive to be an "agenda", but your own views are OK even tough they would necessarily have an opposing "agenda"? That sounds rather unreasonable, don't you think? And for one who seems to relish attacking others, it's also rather suspect that you would accuse me of having asked you questions at the wrong time, after "all the other scathing attacks you have endured".

And what makes you think that things are better than the past, and will remain so into the future once the honeymoon is over? Military dictatorships always start off nicely. Since all the media is censored anyway, I suppose that the Junta told you that everything will be fine, right? Or do you have some more reliable source of information, now that there is no news any more?

How trusting you are!

1. true.

I am with you on the present pleasant situation and totally agreed that none of past governments have accomplished what the junta have done in bringing order to the infamous beaches, taxi mafia etc. These are what many described as low hanging fruits which will made many foreigners and tourists very happy. But if you talk to the local, they are more concern with matters that will shape their future. The make-up of the NLA do not bring much comfort, gagging of the press mades them uneasy and what kind of changes to the political reform creates much anxiety. Meaty stuff rather than the clean-up of Hua Hin.

The part of your LOCALS-remark---the locals live in rural areas you work out that %. the rest maybe are concerned and naturally so. Locals have no idea who the NLA are, the locals rarely read the press a hell of a % cannot read. TV in the only link for locals to learn from, and most have learned from the revelations of the PTP. I agree with what you say but the 2 things you mentioned about censorship, in general Thais will not know. Big city maybe.

how can what is basically a dictatorship be called democracy/

Are you talking about Thailand, the US, or the EU or just most countries.

Juntas, rule by Executive Order, Technocrats or rule by unelected bureaucrats and czars. None of which fits the definition of democracy.

The closet thing that this world has to democracy is in Switzerland. But I don't see any countries aspiring toward Direct Democracy. Too much power in the hands of the individual.

On the other hand, why all the hand wringing and tears over democracy. Sometimes the most judicious and efficient forms of government have nothing to do with the 'will of the majority' though a process of elected representatives. In this day and age, the word 'democracy' is just a catch phrase to invoke a specific emotional response from the masses; an emotional response that varies from group to group base on their core beliefs. The word itself boarders on meaninglessness.

And the only constant in life is change. Today's democracy will be tomorrow's dictatorship; today's dictatorship will be tomorrow's democracy. Study history.

Edited by connda

But the last regime was elected, and they could have been chucked out by the citizenry. They probably would have been once the citizenry got tired of their incompetent ways, just like any government, anywhere, that has been in power too long. What gives the army the right to kick out the government instead of the people, installing a military dictatorship and violating constitutional law in the process?

History has shown that the army, once it consolidates its despotic rule, is just as corrupt as the PTP or any other government. This time though, you probably won't read about it in the papers, or see it on Thai television, because the media are no longer allowed to criticise the government. At least you could form your opinion that PTP was 'dung'. How will you form opinions now on the performance of this lot???

And while we are on the subject of rights, what gives you, an old man living in the bush who is not even a Thai citizen, the right to support the overrule of the Thai majority? You can always go back to your home country if things turn bad here and your silly recommendations on how Thailand is better off under the rule of tyrrany fail to work out in practice.

One of the gang homing in on an answer to another. Sorry you have to stick to this agenda--if you lot varied it a bit it wouldn't look so bad.

The last elected regime were NOT governing democratically as elected to do, it proved also that it had the people bottled up-especially in Issan and won their vote. Now is different because as before the N/E were not aware /informed of the deeds / intent of the lousy governing, BUT now people are informed through the media--internet they are aware. If elections were called next week PTP would never hardly get a look in especially now the army are making inroads into so much corruption/irregularities.

The army did NOT kick out the government, so you learn the short history.

Your second paragraph is bull more than the first one.

Quote 'OLD MAN' So???? Quote "living in the bush" You mean UDON THANI-Jomptien are in the bush ??? I support who I want, not your business.

PTP without a coalition was not a majority.

Your recommendation to go home--crazy, Immigration can do that not YOU.

My silly recommendations ???? And you support a PTP-Shin regime, that governed against the kingdom -that was under oath remember.

Stick to your agenda, snapping at not PTP supporters comments and even this one resorting to personal attack. fly away and do not waste my time with your rhetoric.

Sorry you were disgraced and humiliated through bad governance, if there were ever a next time PTP if it governed properly may well stay in power.

"The last elected regime were NOT governing democratically as elected to do.."

Really? How did they govern undemocratically? What did they do as undemocratic as a coup?

"BUT now people are informed through the media--internet they are aware."

Do you think at all before you post? Are you stating that people were uninformed before the coup, but are somehow better informed now that the news is censored?

"If elections were called next week PTP would never hardly get a look in especially now the army are making inroads into so much corruption/irregularities."

If that were true the Democrats would be clamoring for elections. But it's not true; if there had been no coup and elections had been held as schedule in July the PTP would have suffered a significant loss of support. If an election were held now the PTP would get a lot of votes in protest of the coup.

"The army did NOT kick out the government, so you learn the short history."

What do you think the coup did?

If you think for a minute I am going to get into a wind up with your clan-mistaken, you know who you are, why not have 1 spokesperson ???

Why did I say this ??? look at my original post and who homed in on it ??? and all have the exact rhetoric, near word for word--coincidence ??

This is basically because I dismiss Thai style democracy--PTP =I learned from them it was not the democracy I knew. Secondly now they are on the scrap heap I welcomed the clean up. NO FRILLS about the past either way---just reality now, we are moving forward.

I hate the price rises--the roads--the corruption at all levels--police as was--- but the army had no control over the last 3 years.

I've noticed that when you have no answer for a legitimate question addressed to you, you turn it into a different question. You should go into politics.

Are you talking about Thailand, the US, or the EU.

Correct me if I'm wrong; don't elections in the US and EU countries determine who serves in the elected offices? Aren't the most powerful government offices elected?

One of the gang homing in on an answer to another. Sorry you have to stick to this agenda--if you lot varied it a bit it wouldn't look so bad.

The last elected regime were NOT governing democratically as elected to do, it proved also that it had the people bottled up-especially in Issan and won their vote. Now is different because as before the N/E were not aware /informed of the deeds / intent of the lousy governing, BUT now people are informed through the media--internet they are aware. If elections were called next week PTP would never hardly get a look in especially now the army are making inroads into so much corruption/irregularities.

The army did NOT kick out the government, so you learn the short history.

Your second paragraph is bull more than the first one.

Quote 'OLD MAN' So???? Quote "living in the bush" You mean UDON THANI-Jomptien are in the bush ??? I support who I want, not your business.

PTP without a coalition was not a majority.

Your recommendation to go home--crazy, Immigration can do that not YOU.

My silly recommendations ???? And you support a PTP-Shin regime, that governed against the kingdom -that was under oath remember.

Stick to your agenda, snapping at not PTP supporters comments and even this one resorting to personal attack. fly away and do not waste my time with your rhetoric.

Sorry you were disgraced and humiliated through bad governance, if there were ever a next time PTP if it governed properly may well stay in power.

Really? How did they govern undemocratically? What did they do as undemocratic as a coup?

Do you think at all before you post? Are you stating that people were uninformed before the coup, but are somehow better informed now that the news is censored?

"If elections were called next week PTP would never hardly get a look in especially now the army are making inroads into so much corruption/irregularities."

If that were true the Democrats would be clamoring for elections. But it's not true; if there had been no coup and elections had been held as schedule in July the PTP would have suffered a significant loss of support. If an election were held now the PTP would get a lot of votes in protest of the coup.

If you think for a minute I am going to get into a wind up with your clan-mistaken, you know who you are, why not have 1 spokesperson ???

Why did I say this ??? look at my original post and who homed in on it ??? and all have the exact rhetoric, near word for word--coincidence ??

This is basically because I dismiss Thai style democracy--PTP =I learned from them it was not the democracy I knew. Secondly now they are on the scrap heap I welcomed the clean up. NO FRILLS about the past either way---just reality now, we are moving forward.

I hate the price rises--the roads--the corruption at all levels--police as was--- but the army had no control over the last 3 years.

I've noticed that when you have no answer for a legitimate question addressed to you, you turn it into a different question. You should go into politics.

Sorry again you guys, not many legitimate questions they are mostly pre programmed. Read the answers to me on this thread. tally up all the legit questions together. You guys to me do not operate alone, that's how you come across. If you had 50% of the argument along with 50 % of the other half balance for talking-----you guys are in the minority and thrash out this rhetoric every day.

Your reply to me---my answer I learned it from your pals.

Good government is good governance-----

Correct me if I'm wrong; don't elections in the US and EU countries determine who serves in the elected offices? Aren't the most powerful government offices elected?

You overlooked one thing----answer in NORMAL circumstances.

I won't try to cover Europe's history, but the US has never missed a national election--they've been held during times of protests, both world wars, and even during the civil war.

IFor a moment while reading posts here I thought some confused a Military Dictatorship with the NCPO.

I guess I just need more coffee.

Correct - and the NCPO have brought the rule of law to many parts of the economy and country that were crying out for it.

True or False? Mario Monti was duly elected by the Italian voters.

• Like 1

In normal circumstances we are also guaranteed elected officials that have no expertise in their respective fields.

That's a major fault with "Democracies".

Sorry again you guys, not many legitimate questions they are mostly pre programmed. Read the answers to me on this thread. tally up all the legit questions together. You guys to me do not operate alone, that's how you come across. If you had 50% of the argument along with 50 % of the other half balance for talking-----you guys are in the minority and thrash out this rhetoric every day.

Your reply to me---my answer I learned it from your pals.

Good government is good governance-----

Pre-programmed? We're responding to your posts and asking you to explain statements such as "The army did NOT kick out the government, so you learn the short history." I challenged you on these and a other questionable claims you made, as I've done many times before, and you have declined to defend your statements, as you've declined to do many times before.

Government that qualifies as good government is a subjective call, but I don't think good government ever practices censorship, bans calls for elections, and outlaws political gatherings of five or more people.

Ah - got it.

You condemn views with what you perceive to be an "agenda", but your own views are OK even tough they would necessarily have an opposing "agenda"? That sounds rather unreasonable, don't you think? And for one who seems to relish attacking others, it's also rather suspect that you would accuse me of having asked you questions at the wrong time, after "all the other scathing attacks you have endured".

And what makes you think that things are better than the past, and will remain so into the future once the honeymoon is over? Military dictatorships always start off nicely. Since all the media is censored anyway, I suppose that the Junta told you that everything will be fine, right? Or do you have some more reliable source of information, now that there is no news any more?

How trusting you are!

Agenda---this thread reeks of it.

My own views are good governance, simple. really.

You admit there is a honeymoon WOW. How trusting I am you say---- what a joke you trust the SHINS style of Thai democracy----but do not trust the clean -up. If Popeye was running the job I would give him my trust over your clans rhetoric any day.

One of your faithful has just posted a decent post to me, NOT the anti Army rubbish cause the people didn't elect them bull.

In normal circumstances we are also guaranteed elected officials that have no expertise in their respective fields.

You clearly don't have any faith in democracy. Winston Churchill apparently had his own reservations, prompting him to say 'Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.'

What form of government do you advocate as a preferable alternative to democracy?

,,,and you selectively edited out my answer to that exact question which was:

Are you talking about Thailand, the US, or the EU or just most countries.

Juntas, rule by Executive Order, Technocrats or rule by unelected bureaucrats and czars. None of which fits the definition of democracy.

Please don't selectively edit my posts in the future. Thanks!

<Forum rule #16> You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

You clearly don't have any faith in democracy. Winston Churchill apparently had his own reservations, prompting him to say 'Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.'

What form of government do you advocate as a preferable alternative to democracy?

This interim government, is preferable to Shin/PTP Thaksin style Thai democracy--if you wish to have a decent democratic democracy here this place has to be rid of the past swindlers. cleaned up and next year elections.