What's your contribution?

seb2015

Hello TV

I've been staying in Bangkok for a couple of years now, and lately feel like I should be a bit less selfish in the way I live my life here, so I'm considering to do some volunteering on top of my daily job.

I was wondering if anyone here is involved in such activity and would be kind enough to share their experience, as I'm left without any ideas on what kind of contribution a farang can bring on the table

In my country I remembered some school programs where one would teach maths in exchange of boxing lessons

So, what are you gents doing ?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

To me not really either and maybe the word is badly chosen, sorry.

There might be activities that one can do without them being qualified as volunteering and thus requiring a WP, but still this is a grey area for me.

Let's say I want to build a small playground area for the kids in the school nearby home, I would not believe this qualifies as any kind of work activity

• Like 1

re

I suspect that many people who have retired to Thailand would gladly help out in a variety of ways but don't due to the law.

A definite lose lose situation.

+1

dave2

kids playground :(

a 45 ish english woman in my building has helped teach small kids in a registered orphanage 9 hours a day , six days a week for 5 years and now due to new visa rules she cant get a visa to stay here so she asked the bosses of the home if they could help her :)

cannot .... too much paperwork :(

so shes getting ready to go to cambodia to help their kids !

another thai loss !

post-42592-0-70838500-1407981186_thumb.j

• Like 1

I volunteer as often as possible in my local, I help them dispose of their beer. It doesn't require a work permit.

Well, I have to agree, I have contributed to the Thai economy through frequent disposition of my funds to Thai food and alcohol industries and to homes for potentially unwed mothers.

Strange that you should bring this up. Exactly the same thoughts have been running through my mind of late. After my first two years here I started visiting a prison in BKK with a nun friend of mine and met a man there doing a long sentence for murder. He happened to be from my own country so perhaps that might not be considered as giving something back to Thailand, but it could just as well have been a Thai man, would have made no difference to me. Anyway, he got a "Kings Pardon", went back home and died six months later.

I usually pray for a sign to show me what to do when I I find myself not sure of what next to do in life. The sign came in the form of a conversation I overheard about the "Camelion Center" in Rayong. I know very little about it except that it is an Aids Hospital and Treatment center. Perhaps your post is the fire I need to light under my bum to do something and not just think about.

Thank you and good luck to you with your venture.

• Like 1

Run fundraisers back in your own country (you do end up there once or twice a year right? Or know people there who could?)

And donate the cash to 100 worthy education projects.

This is what I do. You can spend your time in Thailand working the fundraisers (eg do pub quizzes - line up pubs back home and get someone there to assist

If you want to heavier in - talk with a chocolate maker. (Most companies are open to this and I have done it with an Irish manufacturer - minimum order about 1000pcs)

Have a chocolate bar branded with your chosen cause and contact 50 retailers to each stand your bars at check out.

I contacted 45 retailers when I did this and was suprised that all said yes.

They sold the bars @2e each and gave me all proceeds. (They didn't take a commission or even the tax portion)

I had a courier company nationwide deliver the boxes in lots of 2 boxes of 50 at 5e a delivery. Chocolate coasted 45c a bar. Operating costs were approx 40c a bar (courier-banking charges, printing etc)

Leaving a large piece for charity.

I had also looked at having Thai worry dolls (lovely product) made - and sold through - similar network. The dolls were running at 3b each plus 5b shipping packing etx and an easy 1.95 sale.

Technically even visiting a wholesaler requires a work permit. But you would have no problem doing this. 1000's of people who export from Thailand do not have work permits.

Message me if you want more info

I too would like to give something back to the community. Rotary club is not for me. Any other suggestions, besides temple donations? Be serious please.

Giving back for what ? You are not welcomed with open arms and have to jump through hoops to stay here,you are tolerated as long as you have cash to enrich the society but that same society wont help you if you are in trouble,just the opposite,they'll kick you out.

I was asked to help teach English at the village school here because i am British and speak Thai and my son who now speaks fluent English goes to that school. A meeting was held and i was even offered payment. I said i would be prepared to do it on a voluntary basis without payment but i am not a qualified teacher and would also need a work permit which i wouldn't get for this position. A further meeting was arranged with the mayor of the Tetsabaan present. She said that we don't need all that paper work nonsense and she could get round any difficulties should they arise. I asked if she would put what she had just said in writing and if she would be prepared to go to prison in my place and/or then look after my family after i had been expelled from the country. Stunned silence and a bit of awkward shuffling of the feet. I don't think so, i said and left. They are quite prepared to let you fall in the sh*t if it suits there own ends but don't expect any help.

• Like 1

Strange that you should bring this up. Exactly the same thoughts have been running through my mind of late. After my first two years here I started visiting a prison in BKK with a nun friend of mine and met a man there doing a long sentence for murder. He happened to be from my own country so perhaps that might not be considered as giving something back to Thailand, but it could just as well have been a Thai man, would have made no difference to me. Anyway, he got a "Kings Pardon", went back home and died six months later.

I usually pray for a sign to show me what to do when I I find myself not sure of what next to do in life. The sign came in the form of a conversation I overheard about the "Camelion Center" in Rayong. I know very little about it except that it is an Aids Hospital and Treatment center. Perhaps your post is the fire I need to light under my bum to do something and not just think about.

Thank you and good luck to you with your venture.

I and others I know have been working with the Camillian Center in Rayong for about 8 years now. Very honest, dedicated, transparent, and trustworthy people. It is a pleasure to be able to help the children there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

My wife knits hats for babies, especially prem. babies, ands sends them to hospitals in mountains to give to poorer new mums. We also pay the annual running costs for a school bus to ensure kids in a mountain area get to school. Would like to do more volunteer work too. Pity the law is not more flexible

I volunteer as often as possible in my local, I help them dispose of their beer. It doesn't require a work permit.

Well, I have to agree, I have contributed to the Thai economy through frequent disposition of my funds to Thai food and alcohol industries and to homes for potentially unwed mothers.

I'm sure you do, often.

To me not really either and maybe the word is badly chosen, sorry.

There might be activities that one can do without them being qualified as volunteering and thus requiring a WP, but still this is a grey area for me.

Let's say I want to build a small playground area for the kids in the school nearby home, I would not believe this qualifies as any kind of work activity

You can do that. I have made significant contributions to schools by purchasing desks, uniforms and shoes for kids, school supplies had kitchens and kindergartens built, roofs replaced, trees planted, walls built. I do not actually do the work but I always have volunteers show up who do some of it or they help raise the funds,we go to the building supply houses order and pay for the materials and we pay for the Thai laborers to do the actual work. I go along and watch, drink coffee. I am on a retirement visa. I am not considered to be working. I am a retired school administrator. Whatever you do enjoy it.

• Like 1