Iranian is first woman to win 'Nobel Prize of maths'

webfact

And not one little iPad would be here without the early mathematicians. Fundamental building blocks from way back when for all of today's science and engineering. Of course there are a long line of intermediaries since then. Modern medicine owes a great debt to the Greeks and Romans, but they sure weren't giving out antibiotics at the Coliseum chariot races. Give credit where it's due.

"Even reasonable Muslim scholars like Muhammad Aziz admit there is 0 critical thinking or anything worth describing as "education" going on in supposedly top Muslim universities like Al-Azhar in Egypt."

Well, if there is 0 critical thinking it isn't really a top university of any sort by, is it? And I wouldn't have put Egypt forward as being a strong candidate for modern education. I suspect that the quality of Universities varies enormously throughout the ME, with most of them being basket cases. I don't expect Baghdad to offer much. Nor Kabul. But I do suspect that Iran may, because of its long and proud educational history, be a little bit more in line with modern standards and practices. I have only been to one ME University - Birzeit in Palestine. It was primitive materially but not conceptually - no modern equipment or supplies to speak of - but allowing for the lack of materials their postgrad public health programs were as sophisticated as those in the west. It may be that other Universities in the region are also reasonable. Certainly, Professor Mirzakhani seems to have had a very good basic education in Iran (Persia). She hadn't studied abroad when she won her two International Awards for mathemematics aged 17 and 18.

I would bet that there are a lot more Universities in the west than the ME that are of reasonable quality. But the supercilious and ethnocentric arrogance of westerners about their education needs to be tempered by history. We are only as good as we are because of intellectual gifts from long ago - and in other parts of the planet. I hope that future generations will acknowledge what came from the west after its inevitable decline.

• Like 1

"I would bet that there are a lot more Universities in the west than the ME that are of reasonable quality. But the supercilious and ethnocentric arrogance of westerners about their education needs to be tempered by history. We are only as good as we are because of intellectual gifts from long ago - and in other parts of the planet. I hope that future generations will acknowledge what came from the west after its inevitable decline."

It appears to me you do not watch the video link posted from the Arab professor at Cornell University in USA. It's not "supercilious and ethnocentric arrogance" to point out that the ME is spending the oil money on everything but scientific and humanistic development. It's established fact. Watch and report back.

Also the university tradition goes directly back to the Ancient Greeks and the Academy. Much of the Qur'an is likewise rehashed Greek philosophy.

And furthermore I would point at that we are "not as good as we [supposedly] are" due to discoveries 2000 years ago. The explosion in understanding over the past few centuries - particularly in the US where Nobel Prize winners and Fields medalists are concentrated - is IMO a direct result of the Age of Reason and defeat of the tyranny of k*ngs and popes. When you have brainwashed religious nuts who think their dogma is above all question (and are quite literally willing to kill those who question this, eg: atheists) it's no surprise that your society ends up in darkness. You mention the decline of the west, I don't think this will happen, perhaps we'll go through another briefer Dark Age but the roots of the "west" and its universities go directly back 2500+ years to the ancient Greeks.

nice to see a news story with the word "Iranian" not followed by "developing nuclear". So good for her.

I do think the title is also inappropriate. She may have been born in Iran, but if she chooses to adopt the United States as her own country, I think she should be considered American.

This is my thought exactly. The use of the label "Iranian" was designed to attract attention as byline. The problem is, it is incomplete or misleading because while she is technically Persian, she is not Iranian if she is not an Iranian citizen; is she? Had this woman spent her life in Tehran she could hardly have achieved such fame and while Persia has historically been a center of learning and research it hardly permits such freedom for women any longer. I applaud this woman's mind, drive, and family for supporting her. However, I hardly think her success warrants associating Iran with such triumph!

She won her first international recognition whilst living & studying in Iran.

Mirzakhani found international recognition as a brilliant teenager after receiving gold medals at both the 1994 International Mathematical Olympiad (Hong Kong) and the 1995 International Mathematical Olympiad (Toronto),[13] where she was the first Iranian student to finish with a perfect score.

She obtained her BSc in mathematics (1999) from Sharif University of Technology in Tehran.

Mirzakhani found international recognition as a brilliant teenager after receiving gold medals at both the 1994 International Mathematical Olympiad (Hong Kong) and the 1995 International Mathematical Olympiad (Toronto),[13] where she was the first Iranian student to finish with a perfect score.

She obtained her BSc in mathematics (1999) from Sharif University of Technology in Tehran.

Thanks for posting this. It is interesting how committed some people here on TV are to trying to convey the idea that Iran is educationally and culturally primitive, and that this young woman has somehow "fled" or escaped from Iran.

It's not like she lived in Saudi. Or Afghanistan. Iran certainly has more gender friendly policies than most countries in ME. All is not perfect, and Iranian women complain that there is a long way to go for true equality, but a few points:

- Iranian women vote, and have a number of elected reps in the Parliament.

- Women can have abortions.

- Women make up 60% of University students. Even more women are in Science and Engineering, unlike the west.

- Women can (and do) work, drive cars, participate in any sports, initiate divorce etc etc.

- Women can travel within Iran and overseas freely.

An assumption of Western cultural superiority may be partially justified - but most of Iran is probably a bit more advanced than is conveyed here. I would like some people who have travelled to / lived in Iran to make comments, rather than have us posters display our limited second hand knowledge from websites, TV and Youtube.

Thanks for posting this. It is interesting how committed some people here on TV are to trying to convey the idea that Iran is educationally and culturally primitive, and that this young woman has somehow "fled" or escaped from Iran.

It's not like she lived in Saudi. Or Afghanistan. Iran certainly has more gender friendly policies than most countries in ME. All is not perfect, and Iranian women complain that there is a long way to go for true equality, but a few points:

- Women make up 60% of University students. Even more women are in Science and Engineering, unlike the west.

- Women can (and do) work, drive cars, participate in any sports, initiate divorce etc etc.

An assumption of Western cultural superiority may be partially justified - but most of Iran is probably a bit more advanced than is conveyed here. I would like some people who have travelled to / lived in Iran to make comments, rather than have us posters display our limited second hand knowledge from websites, TV and Youtube.

Shut up You lefty liberal !! How dare You humanize those baby eating terrorists !

(they make really good movies,damn terrorists)

Shut up You lefty liberal !! How dare You humanize those baby eating terrorists !

(they make really good movies,damn terrorists)

So sorry - I hadn't considered the disaster this could cause for Hollywood. First they had to stop having all their villains sounding German, then Russian, then Chinese. North Koreans, aren't very photogenic. So swarthy Middle Easterners are all that's left! I'll be in big trouble with the Screenwriters' Guild.

When will you people realize the Iranian connection is not nearly as important as is the fact she is the first WOMAN to receive the award?

I lived in Tehran for five years and they are lovely people.

Like most every other country in the world, their politicians make it what it is.

I find it is imminently more newsworthy that a woman has broken the glass ceiling than an Iranian of any sex has.

• Like 1

When will you people realize the Iranian connection is not nearly as important as is the fact she is the first WOMAN to receive the award?

I lived in Tehran for five years and they are lovely people.

Like most every other country in the world, their politicians make it what it is.

I find it is imminently more newsworthy that a woman has broken the glass ceiling than an Iranian of any sex has.

I appreciate your comments, and envy you time spent in Tehran. It does sound like a very interesting city.

I will say, however, that I am not a great believer in glass ceilings. Most of them were smashed long ago, or are shattering around us today. To see Professor Mirzakhani was a woman did not surprise me in the least. And when I was reading up on the interesting Professor, I noticed that in Iran over 70% of those studying science and engineering are women. Maybe the west could learn something?

I do look forward to seeing the names of many more women receiving prizes in mathematics and sciences in years to come. But I suspect it will be a minority - not because of glass ceilings, but because male and female brains are hard-wired differently. But that's a point of contention for some other thread......

"Thanks for posting this. It is interesting how committed some people here on TV are to trying to convey the idea that Iran is educationally and culturally primitive, and that this young woman has somehow "fled" or escaped from Iran."

No, you make it sound like "conveying the idea that Iran is educationally and culturally primitive" results from bias. The only significant scientific discoveries you can pull out of that region are at least a millennium old (well Omar Khayyam was 900 years ago, so...). I just went through the wikipedia page on important Iranian contributions to science, and every single one has either emigrated to US/EU or at the least did significant graduate work there. Exact same with Ch. and Russia. You certainly won't see the opposite - accomplished, say, US researchers - heading abroad to Iran for study, except for some special cases. Certainly no over-arching pattern. Not trying to stroke the west's dong, but care to explain why all of these countries' great talents seek warmer climes abroad? Also agree that a lot of the people are remarkable, but OTOH some are quite dangerous, they have many spies and have quite wicked designs. Officially they do think the Qur'an forecasts the destruction of Israel (and presumably the West), just read on their news sites the indoctrination they have about Jewish plots and the like.

One thing I am curious about is how they have such a high percentage of women inside their science/math programs.

"Thanks for posting this. It is interesting how committed some people here on TV are to trying to convey the idea that Iran is educationally and culturally primitive, and that this young woman has somehow "fled" or escaped from Iran."

No, you make it sound like "conveying the idea that Iran is educationally and culturally primitive" results from bias. The only significant scientific discoveries you can pull out of that region are at least a millennium old (well Omar Khayyam was 900 years ago, so...). I just went through the wikipedia page on important Iranian contributions to science, and every single one has either emigrated to US/EU or at the least did significant graduate work there. Exact same with Ch. and Russia. You certainly won't see the opposite - accomplished, say, US researchers - heading abroad to Iran for study, except for some special cases. Certainly no over-arching pattern. Not trying to stroke the west's dong, but care to explain why all of these countries' great talents seek warmer climes abroad? Also agree that a lot of the people are remarkable, but OTOH some are quite dangerous, they have many spies and have quite wicked designs. Officially they do think the Qur'an forecasts the destruction of Israel (and presumably the West), just read on their news sites the indoctrination they have about Jewish plots and the like.

One thing I am curious about is how they have such a high percentage of women inside their science/math programs.

OK, if you promise to leave me alone I will acknowledge that Iranians all flee to the west. Or if they haven't, they will. And if they don't, they really did want to. They do so as part of a plot that involves using their superior DNA (because, given a crap education system and so many bright people, it must be in the genes) to increase the IQ of westerners to a point where intelligent debate over the existential truths of one's preferred supernatural bogey-man can be held.

As to the high percentage of XX chromosomes in the maths/science steams - don't be fooled. I suspect they are all katoeys - another fiendish plot, designed to mislead us gullible westeners.

"OK, if you promise to leave me alone I will acknowledge that Iranians all flee to the west."

No I have brought up factual points and raised legitimate questions, and your response is to mock the points made. OK I will repost this video about the Arab Winter (well irrelevant to the OP as she is Iranian/Persian):

http://www.cornell.edu/video/muawia-barazangi-oil-wealth-declining-science-in-arab-world

Point to be taken is that: people who point out the fact that the ME (outside of Israel) is largely in a state of darkness have plenty of facts to back them up, so it is disingenous to assume they are simply ignorant or biased. Please respond with facts if you think this is incorrect.

"OK, if you promise to leave me alone I will acknowledge that Iranians all flee to the west."

No I have brought up factual points and raised legitimate questions, and your response is to mock the points made. OK I will repost this video about the Arab Winter (well irrelevant to the OP as she is Iranian/Persian):

http://www.cornell.edu/video/muawia-barazangi-oil-wealth-declining-science-in-arab-world

Point to be taken is that: people who point out the fact that the ME (outside of Israel) is largely in a state of darkness have plenty of facts to back them up, so it is disingenous to assume they are simply ignorant or biased. Please respond with facts if you think this is incorrect.

I just listened to the lecture & to be frank no startlingly new insights, other than some researched facts & figures.

As he mentioned the deliberate misuse / misrepretation of the Koran & Hadiths by the clerics and rulers of the Arab countries and Iran are major blocks to development, for both scientific and human development. A couple of facts. In KSA only 0.05% of GDP is invested in scientific research, compared to 10% of GDP spent on defense. One has to question how complicit Western nations are in the repression by the dictatorships with their supply of weapons, acquiescence to corruption, support and so on. As an example, he briefly mentioned the UK $20 billion weapons contract with KSA, whereby the head of Saudi security personally received $2 billion.

On a more positive note he did mention 150k Saudis study in the USA (I assume annually) , but many do not return to KSA due to political instability, lack of opportunity etc "brain drain".

It is not in the self interest of the clerics and the dictatorships to encourage the transformation of "darkness".

Edited by simple1

"As he mentioned the deliberate misuse / misrepretation of the Koran & Hadiths by the clerics and rulers of the Arab countries and Iran are major blocks to development, for both scientific and human development."

Misinterpretation or accurate reading? The basic tenets of the religion are inimical to progress: it literally claims that a 7th century illiterate man with a penchant for merciless killing as well as (allegedly) a pre-teen wife is the most perfect man and the final messenger from god, and imposes death - or at the least dhimmi status - for those who reject this absurd proposition. Likewise it suggests that god commands man to implement a 7th century style theocracy as the most perfect form of government. (oh s**t, off with my head). And the new IS guys literally think they are destined to take over the world with this idealogy.

"
One has to question how complicit Western nations are in the repression by the dictatorships with their supply of weapons, support and so on."

They've done some dirty work but doesn't change the fact the oil money has been spent on everything but science, human development, etc., and in fact much has been spent on turning the world backwards.

Edited by squarethecircle

Let's please try to stay on the topic and keep the discussion civil. It's not about religion per se, a good (conservative) Christian or Jew would probably not get an award in Mathematics regardless of their intelligence, but they could probably make a mean quilt.

This lady has done well. She is a credit to her country of origin, the country that hosted her and to her beliefs, whatever they happen to be.

• Like 1

"As he mentioned the deliberate misuse / misrepretation of the Koran & Hadiths by the clerics and rulers of the Arab countries and Iran are major blocks to development, for both scientific and human development."

Misinterpretation or accurate reading? The basic tenets of the religion are inimical to progress: it literally claims that a 7th century illiterate man with a penchant for merciless killing as well as (allegedly) a pre-teen wife is the most perfect man and the final messenger from god, and imposes death - or at the least dhimmi status - for those who reject this absurd proposition. Likewise it suggests that god commands man to implement a 7th century style theocracy as the most perfect form of government. (oh s**t, off with my head). And the new IS guys literally think they are destined to take over the world with this idealogy.

"One has to question how complicit Western nations are in the repression by the dictatorships with their supply of weapons, support and so on."

They've done some dirty work but doesn't change the fact the oil money has been spent on everything but science, human development, etc., and in fact much has been spent on turning the world backwards.

Scott: Will you permit a reply?

One of the core issues of the current debate on Islam is the Koran not solely being interpreted from a 7th century view of society and war. It becomes very tiresome that any time a moderate follower of the Islamic faith seeks to address the 7th century view of some within the Islamic community they are in effect accused of not being Muslims, thereby no progression of the dialogue; one could say reinforcing the extremists.

Sorry to sound dumb, but I don't thing there is a Nobel Prize for mathematics??? When did it start?

There's the "Fields Medal", but I think Alfred Nobel left out math on his list of prizes....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_Medal

Sorry, but you do...just a bit.

" the first woman to win a prestigious Fields Medal, widely viewed as the Nobel Prize of mathematics."

Plus the inverted commas around "Nobel Prize" in the title....says it all. really.

IMHO this is a sexist, racist and derogating post.

"Nobel Prize" is derogatory of Nobel Prize.

Iranian? Woman? What does it have to do with being a Mathematician?

Or does one need to be a Swede to forbid references to Nationality in reporting facts?

"It becomes very tiresome that any time a moderate follower of the Islamic faith seeks to address the 7th century view of some within the Islamic community they are in effect accused of not being Muslims, thereby no progression of the dialogue; one could say reinforcing the extremists."

OK I'll try to wrap this up so we're back on the OP. Seems to me this is inherent in the religion, it claims to be the final word, no others. In contrast like in Xtianity the NT with its "law of love" effectively replaced the OT (which seems like the Qur'an in terms of the brutality of the alleged Allah). I don't think anything like this is possible under Islam, at least in any dominant forms. But I do recall reading the Shah of Iran tried to forbid the reading and quotation of the two great Persian poets Rumi and Hafiz but was unable to control the Iranian people and had to give in.

"Nobel Prize" is derogatory of Nobel Prize.

Iranian? Woman? What does it have to do with being a Mathematician?"

Oh and she must a very good mathematician as well, and must be brilliant for getting a perfect score on the International Math Olympiad. Most mathematicians would find any question on it challenging, so getting all 6 perfect as a HS student says this wasn't just trying to find a woman to give the Fields Medal to for PC's sake. It's certainly a far superior achievement to, say, getting the Alfred Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics (not a Nobel Prize if you read the history). And not to demean the topic but Iranian women are kind of hot IME.

"And your negativity about Professor Mirzakhani's origins wouldn't by any chance be a result of a particular ethnic and religious bias, would it? Just guessing here."

Pulling the "bias card". There should be a new law like Godwin's Law that when anyone accuses another person of harboring racism/biases without immediate and direct proof, the conversation comes to a close as the accuser has crossed the line. And I have no clue which fundamental discoveries out of that region made the computer possible. There was a renaissance at the time but that ended 1000 years ago, and the region has been in the Dark Ages ever since (they've invested far more many in hate-preaching "temples" than in scientific progress, for example). It's no wonder their best minds choose to leave ("flee") to climes warmer to free thought and intellectual exploration.

It seems that I know dr-lucas far better than you. There are dozens of his posts that would be sufficient proof that he harbors certain biases (he would probably argue that his biases are totally justified, but that's another story).

Considering my origin, ethnicity and/or religion (which you have already completely misguessed before: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744577-gaza-and-israel-suffer-deadliest-day/?view=findpost&p=8148150), it would be extremely odd for me to be biased the way you try to describe/flame me.

I will leave it at that, to not degrade this topic into a personal bickering (and as @Scott said - "to keep the discussion civil"), there has already been enough of that sort of bickering on other topics.

The post I made on this topic was typed under the influence.

I acknowledge there were a few factual mistakes in it, but I honestly didn't even remember making this post at all, and considering the condition I was in - the accuracy of a few things I wrote and the fact that I didn't even misspell anything is shocking. w00t.gif

If anything I wrote have upset or offended anyone and for any inaccurate and/or wrong info in my post, I apologize. wai.gif

I'd like to congratulate the young lady, once again, for the prize and her great achievements. thumbsup.gif

"And your negativity about Professor Mirzakhani's origins wouldn't by any chance be a result of a particular ethnic and religious bias, would it? Just guessing here."

Pulling the "bias card". There should be a new law like Godwin's Law that when anyone accuses another person of harboring racism/biases without immediate and direct proof, the conversation comes to a close as the accuser has crossed the line. And I have no clue which fundamental discoveries out of that region made the computer possible. There was a renaissance at the time but that ended 1000 years ago, and the region has been in the Dark Ages ever since (they've invested far more many in hate-preaching "temples" than in scientific progress, for example). It's no wonder their best minds choose to leave ("flee") to climes warmer to free thought and intellectual exploration.

It seems that I know dr-lucas far better than you. There are dozens of his posts that would be sufficient proof that he harbors certain biases (he would probably argue that his biases are totally justified, but that's another story).

Considering my origin, ethnicity and/or religion (which you have already completely misguessed before: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744577-gaza-and-israel-suffer-deadliest-day/?view=findpost&p=8148150), it would be extremely odd for me to be biased the way you try to describe/flame me.

I will leave it at that, to not degrade this topic into a personal bickering (and as @Scott said - "to keep the discussion civil"), there has already been enough of that sort of bickering on other topics.

I acknowledge there were a few factual mistakes in it, but I honestly didn't even remember making this post at all, and considering the condition I was in - the accuracy of a few things I wrote and the fact that I didn't even misspell anything is shocking. w00t.gif

If anything I wrote have upset or offended anyone and for any inaccurate and/or wrong info in my post, I apologize. wai.gif

I'd like to congratulate the young lady, once again, for the prize and her great achievements. thumbsup.gif

Ok, I was wrong. I accept you are not in fact an Afghani camel driver who moonlights for the Taliban and worships Kali. But your biases do show.

And I share your pleasure at any young person attaining such heights as has the learned Professor at her tender years. Mid 30 or so, I believe.

A pity she wasn't Israeli, tho'. I would have loved to see the responses to the headline "Israeli-American wins Field's Medal for Mathematics".

Ok, I was wrong. I accept you are not in fact an Afghani camel driver who moonlights for the Taliban and worships Kali. But your biases do show.

And I share your pleasure at any young person attaining such heights as has the learned Professor at her tender years. Mid 30 or so, I believe.

A pity she wasn't Israeli, tho'. I would have loved to see the responses to the headline "Israeli-American wins Field's Medal for Mathematics".

No biases, true to the facts and balanced.

You, on the other hand, were indeed wrong assuming I am Jewish, not to mention factually wrong in so many other biased posts you made (like in almost all the posts in the link above, which I continuously corrected debunked) , accept that.

Yes, as I said, a very young lady with very impressive achievements, especially for her young age, 37.

I believe the main idea behind the topic was to emphasize the fact (as the subject suggests) that she is the first Iranian to win it and since there were already many Israelis and American-Israelis winning all sorts of huge scientific awards, (at least 1 who won the Field's Medal for Mathematics as well, in 2010), I don't think that such news were going to or will ever be posted here.

Maybe after the first person/winner, such news/threads are no longer worthy.

Edited by dr_lucas

No biases, true to the facts and balanced.

You, on the other hand, were indeed wrong assuming I am Jewish, not to mention factually wrong in so many other biased posts you made (like in almost all the posts in the link above, which I continuously corrected debunked) , accept that.

Yes, as I said, a very young lady with very impressive achievements, especially for her young age, 37.

I believe the main idea behind the topic was to emphasize the fact (as the subject suggests) that she is the first Iranian to win it and since there were already many Israelis and American-Israelis winning all sorts of huge scientific awards, (at least 1 who won the Field's Medal for Mathematics as well, in 2010), I don't think that such news were going to or will ever be posted here.

Maybe after the first person/winner, such news/threads are no longer worthy.

Look, it doesn't matter if you're Jewish or Calathumpian or are a dromedary driver in Kabul, your biases are painfully apparent. And if it makes you happy to believe you have "debunked" things I have said, go for it. Nothing wrong with a healthy fantasy life.

Sorry - I obviously didn't spell it out and should have realised you would jump to some weird conclusion. But I have no doubt that some Americans and Israelis (and Japanese and Koreans - and probably even some Europeans) have also won the Fields Medal. The point is that the jingoists here tried to distance her from her Iranian ancestry by referring to her as "Iranian-American". Some even tried to claim her geniusis the result of being educated in the USA.

I doubt that the same fate would be visited on someone of Israeli or US nationality - I don't recall too many references to "American-Israelis" in these pages. We usually allow people to keep their national identity in one piece. Same as you - just because you live in Thailand, doesn't make you an "Afghani-Thai' - or some such compounded identity.

Some people may be trying to distance her from her ancestry, but I think a lot of people just wish to claim her as their own.

It's nice to see people wanting to claim her rather than the usual rejection that many people get.

It doesn't matter if she is a woman or a man. It doesn't matter if she is Iranian or American born. It does not matter if she is Muslim, Jewish or Christian.

I will tell you all that really matters is this:

She teaches at my Alma Mater.

286-BeatCAL(1306x979).jpg

229140412_tp.jpg

91c5b41c40cfc881288ef07bff14678c_400x400

Edited by submaniac