Kamikaze pilot condemns glorification of martyrs' missions

webfact

Kamikaze pilot condemns glorification of martyrs' missions

TOKYO - Kamikaze pilot Yutaka Kanbe should have died nearly seven decades ago.

It was only Tokyo's surrender on August 15, 1945, that saved him from the fate of thousands whose suicide missions came to define Japan's unrelenting pursuit of victory in the closing stages of World War II.

But as the 91-year-old faces his own mortality again, he worries that a rightward political shift under Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, and a recent film glorifying Kamikaze missions, are proof that the horrors of war have been lost on generations of younger Japanese.

"It was crazy -- I cannot support the idea of glorifying our mission," the former navy pilot said of young men ordered to crash their planes into Allied ships.

"Japan could go to war again if our leaders are all like Abe. I'm going to die soon, but I worry about Japan's future."

"Kamikaze" pilots -- the term means "divine wind" -- were heroes in wartime Japan where their deadly sacrifice in the name of Emperor Hirohito and the nation made front-page headlines.

Full story: http://www.enca.com/node/97175

-- eNCA 2014-08-13

But one thing i always thought was unusaul, is this. Why on earth did kamikaze pilots wear crash helmets?

In case they get shot out of the air , or survive a crash before completing tge mission , the get a chance on survival so can be send on mission again

No pilots wore crash helmets in WW2, they were leather flying helmets.

and panzer goggles and they all said rodger red leader one this is red leader two...... attaking now tally ho......... Edited by Paulzed

But one thing i always thought was unusaul, is this. Why on earth did kamikaze pilots wear crash helmets?

In case they get shot out of the air , or survive a crash before completing tge mission , the get a chance on survival so can be send on mission again

To keep their ears warm.

• Like 1

Just like allied pilots, they wore old-fashioned leather helmets that were not designed to be crash helmets at all.

No pilots wore crash helmets in WW2, they were leather flying helmets.

and panzer goggles and they all said rodger red leader one this is red leader two...... attaking now tally ho.........

Cripes Biffo, Jerry's at twelve o'clock!

Like the helmets of today's pilots, WWII leather helmets had the headset or earphones as an integral part of the helmet and were necessary to listen to any radio messages. By the way they are referred to as just helmets not crash helmets . . . that would have somewhat of a bad connotation!!! wink.png

• Like 1

[quote name="lee b" post="8237237" timestamp="1407910154"]

But one thing i always thought was unusaul, is this. Why on earth did kamikaze pilots wear crash helmets?[/quote

Weren't they flying helmets. Made of leather they contained most if the communication equipment and weren't for protection not that a crash helmet saved 99% of pilots

The horrors of war are not lost on peaceful souls and people who seek compromise, tolerance and understanding. But that is not the majority.

To all others, to all those who think the world ought to be re-organized according to their vision of it, the horrors in question are just 'collateral damage' on a glorious path towards a glorious goal, and that is the problem.

They are called 'horrors' only after the war is over and the crazies have drowned their rage in a sufficient amount of blood.

On the contrary, I expect no one understands the horrors of war so well as those who've had to fight in them and seen & experienced the blood, death, and destruction up close.

And should we have sought more compromise, tolerance and understanding from, say, Hitler?  Is it just the "crazies" who consider wars like that necessary?  Do we just let the thugs and sociopaths who manage to rise to (or just plain seize) power have their way?

It's so easy to ignore the ugly & often complex details behind armed conflict and just paint everyone who finds resistance necessary warmongers.  But these are in reality not simple questions and shouldn't be painted over with simple answers.  

• Like 1