Day two of taxi meter rules enforcement but has it made any difference in Koh Samui?

webfact

Day two of taxi meter rules enforcement but has it made any difference in Koh Samui?

sam.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Yesterday, Mother’s Day in Thailand, marked the official day for the start of the crack down on the use of meters in taxis in Koh Samui after an order from the National Council for Peace and Order.

The decision to try to cure the age old problem of taxi drivers flatly refusing to use meters was made on the 4th of July.

It was hoped that the order would be respected by local taxi drivers however, reports that the new regulations are not being adhered to are quickly circulating and the Samui Times would like to know if our Samui based readers who use local taxi services are noticing the changes or if it is business as usual for taxi drivers who charge considerably higher fares than those calculated by meters.

Hotline numbers and an email addresses have been provided for members of the public to report non compliant taxi drivers and we would like to hear from anybody who has been given cause to use 1155, 077-414-231, [email protected] or [email protected] .

You can contact the Samui Times by leaving a comment under this post or sending your taxi experience stories to [email protected]

xstimes.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EXTclkoej2.webp
-- Samui Times 2014-08-13

• Like 1

The Mayor of Surat tried to sort this out years ago.

The agreement was a surcharge to be added of 90B and they had to use their meters.

They posted signs on the Taxis stating this.

That lasted about a nano-second.

Now, they think these thugs are going to go for a 50B surcharge?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

These swindlers didn't know when to quit while they were ahead. (legally)

wai2.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

I know of loads of customers charged 800 Baht to go from the airport arrivals to the Seatran pier. All of about a KM or so.

What next. The junta telling the Jetski boys to just say Mai Pen Rai sir, not worry, no charge, its only a scratch. Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your holiday biggrin.png

• Like 1

I took a taxi to the airport from Lamai on August 12th. I almost never take taxis as my girlfriend usually drives me, but she was occupied. I got in the cab and told him in Thai that I was going to the airport. He started driving and I noticed that there was some paper covering the meter. I asked him if he had to start using the meter now. He said, Oh, it's very expensive. 100 baht surcharge and other charges. To go to airport will be about 800 baht. I asked him how much for the airport and he said 500 baht which is the usual going rate I've had before.

I didn't report him to the hotlines because I know him from living in Lamai. I'm not scared of him or the taxi mafia, I just know who he is and he's a nice enough guy.

The taxis aren't taking this seriously in Samui, and frankly the police force isn't equipped to handle policing the amount of taxis there.

Edited by dangerousdan99

I took a taxi to the airport from Lamai on August 12th. I almost never take taxis as my girlfriend usually drives me, but she was occupied. I got in the cab and told him in Thai that I was going to the airport. He started driving and I noticed that there was some paper covering the meter. I asked him if he had to start using the meter now. He said, Oh, it's very expensive. 100 baht surcharge and other charges. To go to airport will be about 800 baht. I asked him how much for the airport and he said 500 baht which is the usual going rate I've had before.

I didn't report him to the hotlines because I know him from living in Lamai. I'm not scared of him or the taxi mafia, I just know who he is and he's a nice enough guy.

The taxis aren't taking this seriously in Samui, and frankly the police force isn't equipped to handle policing the amount of taxis there.

Not long ago I took an international flight Langkawi-Singapore and it cost the equivalent of THB 500.....they are still posting prices at the roadside stating Maenam-Bang Por (approx 4KM) THB 300!!! and maenam Chawaeng THB 500.....nothing will change until somebody stamps on them....the fuel price difference between Samui and the mainland is approx 2 baht per litre...no a massive difference.....

• Like 1

I checked with 5 taxis in Chaweng.

They refuse to use the meters. They get aggressive when I confront them.

They just put the sticker up to make the army happy.

Nothing has changed!

The hotlines don't even work their always busy and never connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by SirBser
  • Like 2

Nice to see that local population is really keen to change things.

• Like 1

Sorry Dan - I cannot see that he is a 'nice enough guy'. At 500 baht he's ripping you off.

Surely a nice guy would put you on the meter and add 100 baht at the end of the journey or am I missing something?

I would have thought using the meter and not adding 100 baht at the end of the journey would be what a nice guy does.

I've never used a taxi in Samui or Phuket because I would be not only be overcharged but be condoning their actions by doing so.

No way am I putting any money in these guys pockets until they use their meters, without any unwarranted "extra" charges.

Probably going to be an extremely long wait.

Are the military going to stand up to these people - only time will tell.

• Like 1

I have been a Samui man for over 25yrs [lamai]..in this time they [taxi drivers] have got worse..they are "thugs"..bullys they even threaten violence if you ask for the meter...they are a law 2 them selves...always have been always will be..police don't care nor does the Governor of Surat..don't care who's in power they will do what they want.Slap them with a fine not 200bht...make it at least 2000bht that will shake them up....hopefully

I know of loads of customers charged 800 Baht to go from the airport arrivals to the Seatran pier. All of about a KM or so.

What next. The junta telling the Jetski boys to just say Mai Pen Rai sir, not worry, no charge, its only a scratch. Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your holiday biggrin.png

Look at what the army has done in Phuket, now Hua Hin , they are not that silly.

• Like 1

Look at what the army has done in Phuket, now Hua Hin , they are not that silly.

Sarcasm and humour seem to fly over heads on TV.

I think he was taking the Michael thumbsup.gif

I am waiting for them to turn up here on Koh Tao and start ripping down 3 storey buildings right on the beach and tearing down houses built up the mountains.

• Like 1

hopefully its only a matter of time to make it work on samui

Thailand is a large country and so very much for the army to enforce/change

every body needs to keep reporting these guys over and over and over

hopefully, eventually, we will be heard

• Like 2

the fuel price difference between Samui and the mainland is approx 2 baht per litre...no a massive difference.....

Taxis run on LPG nowadays.

I think that is only the newer ones PS. The taxi drivers that I know all use gasoline. These are the lower number taxis (up to number 300)

Sorry Dan - I cannot see that he is a 'nice enough guy'. At 500 baht he's ripping you off.

Surely a nice guy would put you on the meter and add 100 baht at the end of the journey or am I missing something?

I would have thought using the meter and not adding 100 baht at the end of the journey would be what a nice guy does.

I've never used a taxi in Samui or Phuket because I would be not only be overcharged but be condoning their actions by doing so.

No way am I putting any money in these guys pockets until they use their meters, without any unwarranted "extra" charges.

Probably going to be an extremely long wait.

Are the military going to stand up to these people - only time will tell.

To be fair to the taxi drivers (and I hate saying that facepalm.gif ) the 50 baht flag up and the 50 baht surcharge are government approved charges. Nothing illegal in them.

Whether right or wrong, it is pretty naive to expect taxis on Samui to be the same price as taxis in Bangkok. It is a lot more expensive here. (Just ask the Bangkok girls that come to work in the banks for a stint.)

Do not get me wrong - I personally hate what the taxi drivers are doing and I will boycott them until things change.

• Like 1

Well - it seems that I was wrong. (What a surprise.)

Having heard from a few people that arrived on the island this week - some newbies and some are returning residents - Samui taxi drivers are not using the meters.

When asked to turn on the meter - the reply was usually 'get out of the taxi!' sad.png

No one that commented had reported the taxi driver! facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Obviously the problem could be solved easily by having undercover police (honest ones) get in taxi and see if drivers are following the law. No fines for violating, just take the taxi out of service for a week which hurts the taxi owner and also then prohibit the taxi driver from driving for a week. Next offense impound it for a month, fine the driver heavily, prohibit him from working for a month. If the penalty was severe enough it would all come into line. Problem is there is no significant punishment for violating the rules. Paying a 200 baht fine for overcharging 400 baht is a no brainer for the taxi driver.

Well in all fairness it is fraud specially taxis with modified meters

They should be charged with fraud

Well - it seems that I was wrong. (What a surprise.)

Having heard from a few people that arrived on the island this week - some newbies and some are returning residents - Samui taxi drivers are not using the meters.

When asked to turn on the meter - the reply was usually 'get out of the taxi!' sad.png

No one that commented had reported the taxi driver! facepalm.gif

To be fair, if they report the driver whats going to happen? Nothing. Will the police act? Ofcourse not.

All that will happen is an unwanted disruption to their holiday.

Where theres a will theres a way and i think that most, if not all here realize that the army just telling them to turn on the meters was never going to do a thing. Without being physically made to do so they will not.

Edited by carmine