Day two of taxi meter rules enforcement but has it made any difference in Koh Samui?

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The problem is that no one is reporting the drivers.

No one can fix it if they do not know that it is broken! alt=whistling.gif>

ALL of the people who updated me - both newbies and residents, all decided not to report the driver. alt=facepalm.gif>

Agree if enough people report them then it puts pressure on and pressure people don't like. At the most it shall annoy the drivers back.

Suggest photos of the driver, possibly video. make a copy, show to police, if not happy wait till get home and put on youtube

I do know of local people who watch the taxi drivers. Some of them own the taxis and rent them out and they can be very hard on bad drivers.

Meters is the small part of their problem. their priority is making sure the drivers drive safely. Don't park in stupid places, don't show aggression, fighting with customers , steeling from customers.

I remember a Japanese, man crashed into a taxi. It was outside the house of one of the local Poo Yai Baan.

I assumed he would take the side of the taxi but he didn't he just listened to the Thai whiteness the taxi that he was wrong and that was that.

Seen local people taking down taxi numbers and contacting the owners of the taxis if the driver is seen doing something wrong.

Allot of the bad Thai drivers rent the taxis and some have very bad attitudes. Some drivers try to steal time from the owners and they have head aches chasing their own taxis.

For example a driver renting a taxi. Trying to squeeze a few more days out of the owner then dumping the taxi and running

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ALL of the people who updated me - both newbies and residents, all decided not to report the driver. alt=facepalm.gif>

Agree if enough people report them then it puts pressure on and pressure people don't like. At the most it shall annoy the drivers back.

Suggest photos of the driver, possibly video. make a copy, show to police, if not happy wait till get home and put on youtube

I do know of local people who watch the taxi drivers. Some of them own the taxis and rent them out and they can be very hard on bad drivers.

Meters is the small part of their problem. their priority is making sure the drivers drive safely. Don't park in stupid places, don't show aggression, fighting with customers , steeling from customers.

I remember a Japanese, man crashed into a taxi. It was outside the house of one of the local Poo Yai Baan.

I assumed he would take the side of the taxi but he didn't he just listened to the Thai whiteness the taxi that he was wrong and that was that.

Seen local people taking down taxi numbers and contacting the owners of the taxis if the driver is seen doing something wrong.

Allot of the bad Thai drivers rent the taxis and some have very bad attitudes. Some drivers try to steal time from the owners and they have head aches chasing their own taxis.

For example a driver renting a taxi. Trying to squeeze a few more days out of the owner then dumping the taxi and running

In all fairness though, taking a pic or video of a bad taxi driver is most likely going to be met with aggression from the driver, something most tourists would avoid.

I certainly like the idea of reporting and it does need to be done but a bad driver who gets aggressive can be a very negative experience for tourists.

• Like 1

In all fairness though, taking a pic or video of a bad taxi driver is most likely going to be met with aggression from the driver, something most tourists would avoid.

I certainly like the idea of reporting and it does need to be done but a bad driver who gets aggressive can be a very negative experience for tourists.

Don't have to tell the driver just do it

Plus if they get aggressive then to have it in video

Edited by BigC

When I get into any taxi I take normally minimum 3 pictures

1 of the plate number, 1 of the ID and 1 of the driver

Main reason is incase I forget something in the car

2nd reason is incase the driver tries it on

In bangkok I had a video of the meter starting at 61 baht

When I asked him about it on video he reset it half way through the journey

Now with 3G i can email uploaded it in seconds so even if I deleted it then it's too late

At the bottom of the escalator near Tops in Central I was approached by 2 shady looking characters bellowing "TAXI, TAXI!" while thrusting a laminated map of the island in my direction. I swiftly took a sharp left ignoring the card & did the 'Benny Hill' walk until out of range. My guess is that unsuspecting punters are given the map, asked to point where they're going, & then asked told " XX hundred bhat" as usual.

Edited by evadgib

I haven't heard or seen one person reporting them, but heard & seen many winging about it.biggrin.png

Thats because this is Thailand and absolutely nothing will happen to them if they were reported. They always look after their own regardless with a total disregard for morals, right and wrong!

I suspect that you are correct carmine, but we do not know for sure because it seems that no one bothers to report them.

I would be happy to give it a go, but this is not possible from where I live out here in the sticks. There are never any taxis here unless someone books one - then it is car for hire and not a taxi. There aren't even taxis sitting outside the three resorts here waiting for a pick up.

To hail a cab, I would have to walk for about 45 minutes and then hope that an empty taxi passes by travellig on the Choengmon to Bangrak road.

I will certainly try and grab a taxi the next time that I go for to Chaweng for a few beers, but I do not go that often.

Edited by Tropicalevo

I'm not sure i would have the balls to report a taxi driver when you have to tell your name and such.

Not sure if that info would come into the wrong hands, and maybe other people are afraid of that too.

Maybe that's why noone "bothers" reporting them?

• Like 2

I'm not sure i would have the balls to report a taxi driver when you have to tell your name and such.

Not sure if that info would come into the wrong hands, and maybe other people are afraid of that too.

Maybe that's why noone "bothers" reporting them?

Just use an anonymous E-mail address and send a mail.

Hotline numbers and an email addresses have been provided for members of the public to report non compliant taxi drivers and we would like to hear from anybody who has been given cause to use 1155, 077-414-231, [email protected] or [email protected] .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In talkiing to friends and guests, I have not heard of one trip where the meter was used.

And, no one reported the taxi. sad.png

You'd be better off reporting the taxi driver that did actually use his meter.....if one ever has.

But seriously whats the point in reporting. Do you not think that "everyone" is well aware they are not using them?

Just noticed a nice new sign outside Tesco Lotus Chaweng stating all the fares!

Here are some of the fares stated:

Tesco to Chaweng - 300 Baht

Tesco to Lamai - 500 Baht

Tesco to Big C - 200 Baht

Round the Island - 2,000 Baht

Let me see now..............oh yes, nothings changed!!

If they were not so generally unpleasant and bone idle they could make a small fortune charging those prices.

• Like 1

If they were not so generally unpleasant and bone idle they could make a small fortune charging those prices.

I would guess that a few of them do?

So instead of using meters they're simply posting their costs. Agree, nothing has changed.