Black rice vinegar

Kanga Japan

Dear rhythmworx,

Thank you for the information.  Sorry for my lack of explanation, but I don't want to use it - I just need to know how to write it in Thai script.

I assume that the name you gave was for the Chinese black rice vinegar, with Chin Kiang being the brand name.  Could you possibly give me the Thai script for just BLACK RICE VINEGAR?

Thank you for your help.

nam sai chew means vinegar - น้ำสายชู

see dam means colour black - สีดำ

carw (falling tone) means rice - ข้าว

you can try and fit them together in an order of your liking. Maybe  ข้าว น้ำสายชู สีดำ

That's the best I can do I copied the thai from thai dictionary dot com and can not guarantee it is correct.

Someone sooner or later should be able to tell you correctly.

Is this for homework/studying or something?

• Like 1

Dear rhythmworx,

Thank you for going to all that trouble.  Actually, I do know the individual words, but I just wanted to know the standard name.

I am in the process of putting together a dictionary relating to Thai ingredients (a private project).

Your help is appreciated.

Actually, I do know the individual words, but I just wanted to know the standard name.

There may be a standard name for black rice vinegar in Thai but when I asked my wife she said she didn't know.  She said she has never used it but maybe Chinese-Thais do.  She says she has no recipe that calls for black rice vinegar and isn't sure what it would be called in Thai or how it should be written.  Keep in mind that she is from Isaan and that may limit her knowledge of ingredients used in other areas of Thailand.  Good luck with your search. 

• Like 1

Just had a look at a bottle in my store cupboard. It's described as ซอสเปรี้ยว (SOT PRIAO) - literally "sour sauce". This is the same term as is used for Worcestershire sauce.

To distinguish it, the name includes its origin (in my case Chinkiang).

In brackets after the name is จิ๊กโฉ่ว (I'm guessing CHIKCHO) which I haven't been able to find in any dictionary. From the spelling, it looks like the Thai transliteration of a Chinese word, and appears to be an alternative name for SOT PRIAO.

Interestingly, it doesn't appear to be considered a variant of vinegar (น้ำส้ม - NAM SOM).

• Like 1

She said she has never used it but maybe Chinese-Thais do.

Indeed, they do.

It's pretty much exclusively used for Thai-Chinese cuisine, either as a dipping sauce (often combined with other sauces to give a more balanced flavour), or as an ingredient in stewed meat dishes where it helps mask any unpleasant aromas. Some versions of sweet and sour sauce also use it.

Dear AyG,

Thank you for the information.  It seems strange to me also that it is called 'sour sauce', with no mention of the words 'vinegar', 'black' or 'rice'.  I also find it strange to call Worcestershire sauce 'sour sauce'.

In rythmworx's reply yesterday, he/she mentioned 'chinkiang nam som sai chew'.  Perhaps I could put the words together, such as NAM SOM KHAO DAM น้ำส้มข้าวดำ.  I did find an article on rice vinegar, which mentioned NAM SOM KHAO น้ำส้มข้าว:

http://www.termwiki.com/TH:rice_vinegar_

Chin Kiang is the brand of the most popular Chinese black rice vinegar in Japan also.  I guess it is available worldwide.

Although SOT PRIAO is the name on the bottle you have, it seems confusing and not clear.

Please let me have your thoughts on the above suggestion.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Kanga Japan

Worcestershire sauce and black rice vinegar are both used in the same way in Thai-Chinese cuisine: as a dipping sauce for deep fried ingredients. The sour taste of both of them takes away some of the greasiness. It's this common use that I speculate led to the similarity of names.

NAM SOM KHAO is simply rice vinegar and refers to the brownish Thai vinegar.

As far as I can tell, Thai people do not regard black rice vinegar as vinegar and don't use NAM SOM or SAYCHU* to name it.

Black rice vinegar, I believe, is SOT PRIAO or CHIKCHO. (Incidentally, both terms are used for Worcestershire sauce.)

Have a look at http://www.takee1950.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=cat_show_pro_detail&pid=154441 It's pretty clear cut in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just had a look at a bottle in my store cupboard. It's described as ซอสเปรี้ยว (SOT PRIAO) - literally "sour sauce". This is the same term as is used for Worcestershire sauce.

To distinguish it, the name includes its origin (in my case Chinkiang).

In brackets after the name is จิ๊กโฉ่ว (I'm guessing CHIKCHO) which I haven't been able to find in any dictionary. From the spelling, it looks like the Thai transliteration of a Chinese word, and appears to be an alternative name for SOT PRIAO.

Interestingly, it doesn't appear to be considered a variant of vinegar (น้ำส้ม - NAM SOM).

Just confirming that the above is correct. (Have a bottle of the stuff on the counter as well). Hello to everyone in Japan.

• Like 1