Can you tell in Thailand the difference between a beef or pork hamburger?

umbanda

In the six years here I've had one decent hamburger - in BKK at El Gacho's steakhouse but it was costly.
Beef in Thailand is bad and even places where it's passible it's not cooked right.
You need to have pure beef at least one inch thick or more.
High heat so as to sear the meat leaving it blackened outside, medium rare inside.

A good hamburger does not need teeth to eat it, it breaks apart in your mouth.

Fast food hamburgers are not real hamburgers

A real hamburger needs little or no condiments save for a little bit of cheddar cheese and one large tomato slice.
Real cheddar is hard to find and tomatos in TH are too small and not juicy.
I have a photo but I see no way to upload the image here.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the same shit in Thailand, as the pizzas and Italian food. Thais have no idea how to prepare western food, even in most restaurants with farang owners, because the owners are not able to teach the Thai staff. I love Italian food, but in in Thailand I not even think about it, they are even not able to prepare a good spaghetti or pizza.

I don't know about other locations but there's plenty of good locations for burgers and Italian food in Bangkok.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That is also my experience with Italian food in Thailand....not prepared well. Iv'e yet to find a good pizza anywhere

Both the same shit in Thailand, as the pizzas and Italian food. Thais have no idea how to prepare western food, even in most restaurants with farang owners, because the owners are not able to teach the Thai staff. I love Italian food, but in in Thailand I not even think about it, they are even not able to prepare a good spaghetti or pizza.

I don't know about other locations but there's plenty of good locations for burgers and Italian food in Bangkok.

Using McDonalds as a benchmark, ugh...........

Beef is supposed to be in their hamburgers.

Pork is supposed to be in their breakfast burger-looking things.

TIT, you will never know for sure.

Capital UGH on McDs, what an abomination. Any bar in the States makes a better burger than McDs. Those breakfast burger thingys are supposed to be pork sausage patties. Americans prefer patties to links for breakfast sausage. I can't believe the millions of people world-wide who eat there. It's not good, fast, or cheap food; so what is the draw, the happy meal toy for the kid?

You can actually get a reasonable facsimile of a good burger by using a combination of Thai beef and pork. My wife mixes about 3-1 beef to pork--the pork, of course, for the fat content; she uses no filler, only salt, pepper and garlic. Grilling the burger, instead of frying it, also helps. Grill a nice dark crusting to the burger, melt on cheese, a thick slice of onion, grilled or raw, and put it on a grilled whole-wheat bun.

This one was made with Thai beef, it was absolutely delicious.....

Are you sure, that's pure beef?

Just from the colour, I would assume it's (at least) mixed with pork

Looks a little bit like my "German Frikadellen", but just put on bread. thumbsup.gif

post-147752-0-35435700-1408085608_thumb.

Uhmm, I am getting hungry...

Edited by retoocs01
  • Like 1

This one was made with Thai beef, it was absolutely delicious.....

Are you sure, that's pure beef?

Just from the colour, I would assume it's (at least) mixed with pork

Looks a little bit like my "German Frikadellen", but just put on bread. thumbsup.gif

attachicon.gifFrikadellen.JPG

Uhmm, I am getting hungry...

Ummm yes Iam sure it is only beef.

Thank you guys. I asked because I am experimenting with other meats to create a bun that taste and looks ike really GOOD western beef, and I think I got it. Cannot tell the "formula" because I am looking in open a hamburger place in Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai area...Looking for a partner....By the way...Do you think that 70thb is a good price for a BIG hamburger with self serve choice of good variety of topins and dressings, plus french potatoes?

In 4 years in Thailand ALL hamburgers I tasted, even in good restaurants, were not good at all...and more expensive.

Edited by umbanda

Do you think that 70thb is a good price for a BIG hamburger with self serve choice of good variety of topins and dressings, plus french potatoes?

What means "big" in grams (beef end product)?

If something like this one, no, 70 Baht is definitely not enough.. wink.png

post-147752-0-91972800-1408087542_thumb.

Edited by retoocs01

A genuine Hamburger is a mixing of three kinds of meat, mainly beef and pork.

A pork burger is hacked pork.

A beef burger is hacked beef.

A chicken burger is hacked chicken.

I cannot help you if you can't know the difference between the meats.

However FYI:

If you go to the butchers' in France and order hacked steak, the butcher has to hack a good piece of beef (that you can choose of course, but most of the time a two star part of the beef) in front of you. It is strictly forbidden to sell packed hacked meat! If you ask for hacked pork, he will stare at you and probably think you are an E.T.

Burgers are made of cheap parts of beef or pork aso. This is why you can't easily find fresh burgers in Europe and can't buy ground beef in France because nobody would order for it. But you can eat nice burgers in American Mc dos and others.In France McDo's burgers are made from Charolais Beef exclusively.

About Thailand, my advice is:

- best burgers (real german hamburgers) can be found at some Foodlands when they have it.

- best beef burgers are Villa's frozen ones.

German restaurants have quite nice pork burgers while Burger's King has decent beef burgers.

And I enjoy my weekly chyeeseburger at McDo.

Pray tell - WHERE?? Most Pizza here also sucks!!

Edited by snooky

the difference is,a hamburger is pork,and a beefburger is beef. easy to make your own,nice big burger buns at makro.

In the USA a "hamburger" is beef.

What? How can a "ham"burger be made of beef. Are you sure you got this right?

No wonder the OP is confused if they don't even know the difference in the US,, the "home" of the beef burger...

Not reading all the posts?????

As previously explained it is a "hamburg"er and not a "ham"burger.

USA may now be the home of the burger but certainly not the birth place.

In this area you would certainly know. Many of the Thais do not eat beef for religious reasons, so all beef dishes are clearly identified.

There is no Buddhist reason not to eat beef. And Moslems are very much in favour of it.

Many Buddhists avoid large pieces of meat such as steaks or chicken breasts, but are fine when the meat is cut small.

The real reason many Thai people avoid beef is partly lack of familiarity, partly the strong smell, and partly the cost.

Pretty much the only Thai people with a genuine religious reason not to eat beef are Thai Hindus/Brahmins. They are very few in number.

the difference is,a hamburger is pork,and a beefburger is beef. easy to make your own,nice big burger buns at makro.

No wonder the OP is confused if they don't even know the difference in the US,, the "home" of the beef burger...

Not reading all the posts?????

As previously explained it is a "hamburg"er and not a "ham"burger.

USA may now be the home of the burger but certainly not the birth place.

I stand corrected, you are absolutely right.

I had no idea that the hamburger was brought over to the US from Hamburg,, it's pretty obvious really when you consider the frankfurter really.. Dohh!

• Like 1

You are generally correct. However there are exeptions to it. If you are willing to spend a lot on dinner, you can get great western food in Bangkok.

In this area you would certainly know. Many of the Thais do not eat beef for religious reasons, so all beef dishes are clearly identified.

There is no Buddhist reason not to eat beef. And Moslems are very much in favour of it.

Many Buddhists avoid large pieces of meat such as steaks or chicken breasts, but are fine when the meat is cut small.

The real reason many Thai people avoid beef is partly lack of familiarity, partly the strong smell, and partly the cost.

Pretty much the only Thai people with a genuine religious reason not to eat beef are Thai Hindus/Brahmins. They are very few in number.

Not quite true. My sister in law and her husband do not eat beef, although the rest of the family do. I know it is certainly for religious reasons and wondered if it was to do with being of Chinese descent. I found this.

"Only many Thai with Chinese blood especially Taechew Chinese worship a Chinese Goddess Guanim and recommended not to eat large animals, hence the restriction on cow beef, although they eat pork."

There is a very large number in this area of Chinese origin, some of the graveyards stretch as far as the eye can see. Last weekend was in fact a Chinese festival to celebrate the dead.

• Like 1

Try Piccolo Roma's in Chiang Mai. Hand rolled pasta, sauce from scratch. No need to say you can't get Italian food in CM.

Edited by duanebigsby

This is valid for almost all Western food.

• Thais don't know, how the Western food should taste, (except it contains rice, fish sauce (nam plaa) and chili.wink.png )
  • It's almost impossible to teach Thais, to cook Western food, since they don't like it (mostly) and don't want/like to taste it. (except it contains rice....)
  • The time factor: How long does it take to teach a Thai, to prepare just halfway decent Western food?
  • Thais usually don't bother if the (Western) food is too salty, hot, cold, spicy, whatever...mai pen rai.

Most Thais don't even care for their own Thai food: If it's somehow edible and enough, ok. They will never complain...

Sure, there are always exceptions, but without a competent Western "supervisor" they are eventually lost.

That's the reason, why I rarely eat outside and have started to learn cooking a few years ago.

Edited by retoocs01

You could try something called the internet and google "hamburger".

A genuine Hamburger is a mixing of three kinds of meat, mainly beef and pork.

A pork burger is hacked pork.

A beef burger is hacked beef.

A chicken burger is hacked chicken.

I cannot help you if you can't know the difference between the meats.

However FYI:

If you go to the butchers' in France and order hacked steak, the butcher has to hack a good piece of beef (that you can choose of course, but most of the time a two star part of the beef) in front of you. It is strictly forbidden to sell packed hacked meat! If you ask for hacked pork, he will stare at you and probably think you are an E.T.

Burgers are made of cheap parts of beef or pork aso. This is why you can't easily find fresh burgers in Europe and can't buy ground beef in France because nobody would order for it. But you can eat nice burgers in American Mc dos and others.In France McDo's burgers are made from Charolais Beef exclusively.

About Thailand, my advice is:

- best burgers (real german hamburgers) can be found at some Foodlands when they have it.

- best beef burgers are Villa's frozen ones.

German restaurants have quite nice pork burgers while Burger's King has decent beef burgers.

And I enjoy my weekly chyeeseburger at McDo.

What's your source for the definition of hamburger? The Spalax Gastronomique? Because no other culinary sources that I can locate support your contention.