Cleared 11 year overstay

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that a lot of the overstayers are working to support themselves and their families. So that beggars the question, why aren't they being caught for not having work permits? There are so many posters who claim that you need a work permit to even fart in public in Thailand and that you will be caught if you don't have one. If that is the case surely those working overstayers would have been caught years ago.

I have often thought that the claims of getting busted for working without a work permit were exaggerated. I have never once been asked for my work permit in over 20 years, despite doing DIY projects at my home and elsewhere. As long as you have not pissed anyone off, I believe it is very much a live and let live society, and you will be left alone..

There will also be a number of overstayers who will continue their overstay, despite the risk, because they will not be able to meet the criteria for annual extensions. Yet they will be able to comfortably live up country, in the simple style they have become used to, and stay under the radar. That is unless the powers that be announce a bounty for turning in overstayers.

You're really just assuming that people have the same kinds of jobs or situation as you do, though. I'm legal, but I've lived here for 5 years without a job in Thailand.

11 years for 20,000 baht, at 1818 baht per year you even got a better deal than the retirement extension folks clap2.gif

Are you forgetting something here ?

He had to remain permanently in the oven without a break for 11 years with nothing to do except drink alcohol and talk silly rubbish to unintelligent, uninterest-ing/ed tarts and things sitting in bars.

What a waste of 11 years, cheap yes, but what a waste of a life ! bah.gif

Not everyone lives the way you do. You see things through your own life.

• Like 1

I am sure that a lot of the overstayers are working to support themselves and their families. So that beggars the question, why aren't they being caught for not having work permits? There are so many posters who claim that you need a work permit to even fart in public in Thailand and that you will be caught if you don't have one. If that is the case surely those working overstayers would have been caught years ago.

I have often thought that the claims of getting busted for working without a work permit were exaggerated. I have never once been asked for my work permit in over 20 years, despite doing DIY projects at my home and elsewhere. As long as you have not pissed anyone off, I believe it is very much a live and let live society, and you will be left alone..

There will also be a number of overstayers who will continue their overstay, despite the risk, because they will not be able to meet the criteria for annual extensions. Yet they will be able to comfortably live up country, in the simple style they have become used to, and stay under the radar. That is unless the powers that be announce a bounty for turning in overstayers.

You're really just assuming that people have the same kinds of jobs or situation as you do, though. I'm legal, but I've lived here for 5 years without a job in Thailand.

Not really. I know that many people work online and there are a variety of ways to make a living. But a number of the overstayers are not on retirement pensions, living of savings or working online. Many get their income from more traditional occupations such as working on the farm, teaching, selling hoi tort, even working in companies, yes, all without work permits, etc.

You cannot seriously believe that all the overstayers are monied up and can support themselves indefinitely on their savings.

• Like 1

Bang em up and hang em high........

Just incredible that you were allowed back in............There you go a bit of ammo !! Being serious it is ludicrous that 11 years can pass and yet you walk straight back in....

Chivas this is the clemency period so we can't criticize people for clearing up their overstays before the end of the month.

However there will be the crackdown of all crackdowns next month and the wailing and crying will be so loud you'll be able to hear it in Malaysia.

On a personal level though I'm in full agreement with you.

This entire process is working as intended. The Thai authorities issued stern warnings and then gave people a couple of months to clear up their situation. I think their actions have actually been kind and humane. In response, people on overstay are taking them up on the opportunity to clear their situation--which is good for everybody all around. So far, good for Thailand and good for the overstayers who are now legal.

It would seems the situation is less stringent than it initially appeared, they've eliminated the back to back visa exempt runs and are ensuring those on ED visa's actually are studying and those on tourist visas to show proof they can support themselves but they haven’t closed any options.

what options do you suggest they close?

Edited by Mudcrab

You cannot seriously believe that all the overstayers are monied up and can support themselves indefinitely on their savings.

I don't believe they all are, no. Of course there are many people working illegally, all countries everywhere. I think about the situation in Arizona US a lot though about it. Some people are SO angry at Mexicans there, and just say the most extreme things in the news all the time. And truthfully, those Mexicans are really struggling, and doing all the jobs that no one else would ever want to do, and for very poor wages. It's actually keeping the economy going in many ways. But, some people who don't know how to properly deal with the angers in their own lives, spend all their time blaming and villifying. And, I know that my own home city (New York) was literally built by illegal immigrants. I just don't look down on them so much.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 2

11 years for 20,000 baht, at 1818 baht per year you even got a better deal than the retirement extension folks clap2.gif

He had to remain permanently in the oven without a break for 11 years with nothing to do except drink alcohol and talk silly rubbish to unintelligent, uninterest-ing/ed tarts and things sitting in bars.

Agree, wasting 11 years of your life to save a couple of thousend dollars. You have to be desperate or insane to do it.........

• Like 1

I just don't look down on them so much.

Neither do I. Live and let live. If that is how they choose to live their lives then it is fine by me. I am sure many of them are happy with their lot, while some wish they had not got into the hole they find themselves.

I also do not belive that their being here will make it more difficult for the rest of us who are here legally.

• Like 2

Agree, wasting 11 years of your life to save a couple of thousend dollars. You have to be desperate or insane to do it.........

What a ridiculous assumption to make, that he 'wasted his life'. Are you really that desperate to look down on someone?

Edited by John1thru10

How did you have a life without having banking?

They require an inspection of a passport for setting up accounts, changing telephone numbers, closing accounts and most everything else?

How did you travel without being able to check into a hotel?

How did you have a life without having banking?

They require an inspection of a passport for setting up accounts, changing telephone numbers, closing accounts and most everything else?

How did you travel without being able to check into a hotel?

They never check the visas. They don't know what a visa looks like, let alone how to interpret one.

I just don't look down on them so much.

Neither do I. Live and let live. If that is how they choose to live their lives then it is fine by me. I am sure many of them are happy with their lot, while some wish they had not got into the hole they find themselves.

I also do not belive that their being here will make it more difficult for the rest of us who are here legally.

I agree with you, also. I think a lot about this sweet girl up up the soi who I know is Burmese, and cooks my dinner every night. I'd hate to think of someone like her being in trouble.

Quite honestly it is your type of person, sir, which causes all the problems in the first place.

I notice that you very proud to be such an accomplished criminal - and obviously glad to state this publicly.

I am sure I am not alone in wishing you ill in your next endeavour to besmirch the reputation of foreigners here.

What a very crass statement, trying to elevate yourself by wishing other people ill. That's all - I'm signing off, for something interesting. But really, how sad and unhappy you must be, to be writing that kind of thing at people all day. I'm sorry for you, sincerely.

• Like 1

B1818/yr for avoiding the rules is cheaper than my B1900/yr retirement extension for obeying the rules; however, I will not be the one to throw you under the bus.

In my pre-Vietnam days I worked in the Pentagon. I was always late and the parking assigned to me was a mile away from the nearest entrance. So, I used to park at the River Entrance where several other corvettes parked. I got tickets, sometimes, during my two years of illegal parking, but I tossed them. One day, Pentagon Security Police came to my office and gave me a summons to appear in Pentagon Court. I was fined $100 for illegal parking. At 22 days a month for 24 months, that was $0.19/day (nineteen cents a day), less than a proper slap on the wrist for having executive parking by showing blatant disregard for the rules and for those who were legitimately entitled.

We tend to complain when rules are strictly enforced and smirk when we can easily or cheaply avoid them. I guess too may of us want rules to apply to everyone but us.

haha - at least you didn't have to see hundreds of people writing that you were the worst human being in the world, and hoping you have a terrible life :)

This is nothing other than abuse and total lack of respect of the visa system and the country.

LOS is failing to have a complete policy on visas and offenders.

I'm sure u wouldn't get away with that 'abuse' in your own country.

What an ignorant comment, in my country the worst than can happen to an overstayer is to be kindly asked to leave the country in a delay of 7 to 30 days. No blacklisting if no crimes were committed. also if someone is working without a work permit the employer will get into trouble, not the employee.

• Like 2

Does it really not occur to people that it is only due to this kind of total disrespect for the law that it has been necessary to introduce a crackdown in the first place........

Just replace your Avatar before typing with this kind of stuff, as Che Guevara laughed at capitalism laws all his short life.

Hahaha as I was reading his post above yours I was staring at the avatar thinking, great another guy with a Che avatar (or T-shirt) who has no idea who he is and what he is actually known for. Then I glanced down and saw your post!

While I am glad you could clear things up and were able to come back in OP, I find it rather distasteful. I am not Thai and I am not from a western country. And, admittedly, I am only presuming that you are a westerner. But, all you have done (and some are doing still) is abuse the courtesy afforded to you by a country. It needs to be said that Thais (and my countrymen for that matter) don't get the same favours from western countries, as you guys do, when it comes to visas. If they were to overstay or break any visa rules in most of the western countries, they would most likely never be allowed to enter that country again.

It is a whole lot different than a Mexican trying to stay illegally in the US or a Burmese staying illegally in Thailand. I personally find no excuse to be good enough, TBH.

After 11 years my only question would be, why bother ?

Wha bother ?

Someone who brakes immigration law for 11 years,

you can expect he will keep all other rules ?

like work without permit aso ?

kick them out !!

Like in europe !

Lowbrakers you send back there from where they are !!

After 11 years my only question would be, why bother ?

Wha bother ?

Someone who brakes immigration law for 11 years,

you can expect he will keep all other rules ?

like work without permit aso ?

kick them out !!

Like in europe !

Lowbrakers you send back there from where they are !!

"Wha"? "Aso"? "Brake"? Europe kicks them out" ?

Which planet are you from ?

• Like 1

I would not like to live like a refugee for eleven years, to save one or two thousend dollars

More like living a totally free life with zero risk of ever being asked to show his passport, still being able to book hotels, open bank accounts etc. (see the post in the other thread about living here 37 years and never needing to show it) and saving ten thousand dollars (~30k thb/year in Ed visa fees, tuition, and extensions).

Sign me up.