Two Australian couples stopped from leaving Thailand with surrogate babies

webfact

Two Australian couples stopped from leaving Thailand with surrogate babies
By South East Asia correspondent Samantha Hawley

BANGKOK: -- Immigration officials at Bangkok's international airport have stopped two Australian couples from leaving the country with their surrogate babies.

The ABC understands the same-sex couples, including one which was travelling with the surrogate mother, were prevented from flying out on Thursday afternoon.

Police have ordered immigration not to allow surrogate babies out of the country unless there is a court order, the ABC has been told.

It is believed two American couples were also stopped from leaving Thailand in the 24 hours beforehand.

Thailand's newly formed national assembly, which is heavily dominated by members of the military, had been handed draft laws to ban commercial surrogacy earlier this week.

The ruling army general does not want Thailand to be a surrogacy hub and is expected to move quickly to outlaw the practice, essentially ending a lucrative foreign market.

The changes come in the wake of controversy surrounding a West Australian couple accused by their Thai surrogate of abandoning their newborn son - known as baby Gammy, who has Down syndrome - and only taking home his healthy twin sister.

Full story: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-14/australian-couples-stopped-leaving-thailand-surrogate-babies/5672094

-- ABC 2014-08-15

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah! so now the crap has hit the fan they are stopping them at the Airport! I hope the initial breach and how it happened is being investigated otherwise it is just knee jerk reaction to a cover up!

It is also against Thai Human Trafficking laws and the country is under huge pressure internationally to stamp out human trafficking. Add this and the huge international attention Thailand is receiving in regards to baby Gammy and the Junta is going to act. I don't think this will just be a simple knew jerk reaction. I saw on Australian Television news this morning that all people with young children are being checked for proof of parentage.

Correct.

This is a breach of Thai law and cannot be allowed to continue until a considered change or non change of the law is approved.

stopping same sex couples from taking babies out of the country is good.i have no problem with people having a same sex partner but do not believe they should come here looking to get children they cannot have naturally.basicly same sex partners cannot have babies with each other and therefore cannot have children.i am not religious at all but do believe in the natural order of life.

+ 10

• Like 1

Doubtless views will vary on this contentious subject, however it has come about because of slack, corrupt , miss - management from Thai officials, the usual systematic failure of checks and balances, there requires an inquiry into this area, doctors, nurses ,birth registers, you name it, one big cover up , don't place the entire blame on overseas couples, they should have gone further to investigate with a lawyer, but when someone tells you that all is well you are allowed to do this in Thailand or we have special authority, who's to argue, the problems start when you have that crazy Jap with nine births, what for, we all know why, shame on Thailand once again, no doubt about you, always in the international media all for the wrong reasons.bah.gif

I suppose if the adopting, biological parents can afford to, the solution is to bring the pregnant Thai woman out of the country to have the child. Hmmm, will pregnant women soon be stopped and interrogated by police or military at airports, suspected of being a surrogate??

Two Australian couples with surrogate babies stopped at Bangkok Airport
By Lindsay Murdoch, Larissa Nicholson

BANGKOK: -- Immigration officials at Bangkok’s international airport stopped two Australian couples with surrogate babies from leaving the country on Thursday, the ABC reported.

One of the same-sex couples was travelling with the surrogate mother.

The airport intervention comes after it was revealed up to 150 Australian couples caught up in Thailand’s crackdown on surrogacy will have to obtain permission of the country’s Family Juvenile Court to take home their babies born to Thai surrogate mothers.

This requirement, and stricter document requirements, will cause agonising months of waiting for the parents before they can leave Thailand with their babies, surrogacy experts say.

Thai immigration authorities have advised the Australian embassy in Bangkok the parents will require an order of the court confirming the birth mother has given up her rights to custody of the child.

The embassy has been told that if airport immigration officials suspect a child has been born by surrogacy in Thailand, parents will be required to provide the child’s birth certificate, copy of the mother’s identification card, copy of the intended parent’s passports and the surrogacy contract.

Full story: http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2489836/two-australian-couples-with-surrogate-babies-stopped-at-bangkok-airport/?cs=12

-- ILLAWARRA MERCURY 2014-08-15

stopping same sex couples from taking babies out of the country is good.i have no problem with people having a same sex partner but do not believe they should come here looking to get children they cannot have naturally.basicly same sex partners cannot have babies with each other and therefore cannot have children.i am not religious at all but do believe in the natural order of life.

i completely agree with Keith 101, no problem with gay people, but keep children out of gay relations. This is my personal opinion, suppose these babies would be able to vote, what would they agree? By the way I thought surrogate babies are genetically 100% from the parents and the surrogate mother got a fertilized egg from the real mother inplanted right?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

.............surrogate babies are genetically 100% from the parents and the surrogate mother got a fertilized egg from the real mother inplanted right?

Correct -- by definition..

It has to be said that the whole topic of surrogacy is riddled with mis-conceptions and abuse.

• Like 1

Hmmmm!!! Another ban placed on something without thinking about the repercussions.

Let's see the repercussions

No more people coming in thinking they can buy a baby that their own country will not allow them to have.

Less women selling their bodies

Babies being created for pedophile to later use for their own and others enjoyment.

People in the country having one less unethical way to earn a living.

OK I have thought about the repercussions.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

GO NCPO STILL NUMBER 1 ON THE HIT PARADE DOING A GREAT JOB GENERAL

• Like 2