Robin Williams 'had Parkinson's' at death

webfact

Robin Williams 'had Parkinson's' when he died

SAN FRANCISCO: -- Robin Williams was suffering from the early stages of Parkinson's disease at the time of his death, his wife has said.

Susan Schneider said her husband had been sober but "not yet ready to share publicly" his struggles with Parkinson's.

She added that he had also been suffering from anxiety and depression.

The 63-year-old actor was found dead in an apparent suicide in his home on Monday.

Police said he died of asphyxia due to hanging.

"His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles," Ms Schneider said in a statement, adding her husband's sobriety was "intact".

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28796277

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-08-15

Parkinson's is no walk in the park as someone I briefly dated was in the advanced stages after only 2 years. It is terrible to see how her body was closing down throughout the day after she had taken her meds. When taken she'd be as normal as can be but by the evening it would be like my 92 yr old grandmother hanging off my arm walking baby steps shaking. She thinks she will not see 40.

My mother suffers from Parkinson's. The shakes and such is not that evident but the disease has been messing with her brain. Bout's of depression and forgetfulness. Depression is a real life issue that needs to be talked about and recognized so that people that suffer from depression feel less isolated and alone.

• Like 1

At his age, I suspected an underlying medical condition. It's very difficult to face life, especially a public one, where your body does not function as it once did. It take extraordinary strength and will to be a Michael Fox and continue on. RIP Robin. I wasn't a huge fan, but the immensity of his talent was undisputable.

At his age, I suspected an underlying medical condition. It's very difficult to face life, especially a public one, where your body does not function as it once did. It take extraordinary strength and will to be a Michael Fox and continue on. RIP Robin. I wasn't a huge fan, but the immensity of his talent was undisputable.

More people with Parkinsons DO NOT commit suicide than DO.

There are certain things us Californians take for granted. One of which is the number of famous people, actors, comedians, and sports stars, etc., one tends to bump into in your daily lives. This was the case for me with Robin Williams.

I have never met him, but he lived a large portion of his life near where I grew up in Northern California, and it was not uncommon to see him around town.

Williams went to the same high school that my nieces currently attend, and could often be spotted in the crowd of fans at local pro baseball or basketball games. He was the friend of friends. Perhaps this is why I find my thoughts dwelling on the sad news.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuketian-reflects-on-robin-williams-47825.php#sthash.ipx4ux2b.dpuf

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

Not all cases of Parkinson's Disease are the same. My grandmother had Parkinson's for 10 years before her death at 83, and was terribly debilitated for most of that time. By contrast, my father has had Parkinson's disease for the last 25 years (since he was 55) and until a car accident last year shattered his pelvis was still walking with only the help of a cane, and except on very bad days had little in the way of tremors - his manifested more as stiffness. Even now that he's in a wheelchair his speech is normal, his mental faculties fantastic for an 80 year old, and his neurologist has said he'll die from something someday, but not from Parkinson's. You just never know. That being said, I think that depression has been linked to the disease in many people, and I've read that at least one of the medications for it can tip you into dementia sorts of thinking if your dosage is too high.

It's a horrible, awful, and devastating disease, but we can't assume at his early stages that it necessarily meant he wouldn't have had many more years of relative health. It's hard to know without his family or doctor saying more. It's still terribly sad. He was such a gifted and compassionate man whose death leaves a large hole.

• Like 1

I took care of my uncle for 2 years with Parkinson's disease. Awful. When I first started my care he went from riding his bike, driving his car and fixing his own meals to not being able to do anything. His body just shut down. He was 82 when he passed away, so he lead q nice long life. Its still a very nasty disease. I don't know how Michael J. Fox does it. Maybe its because he's still young?

I believe that we all have a certain threshold. If we reach that threshold then we either cope with what's occurring, lash out at other people or harm ourselves. Robin chose to harm himself.

Edited by benj005

This revelation makes sense of the senseless. It is completely understandable. And when I say that, I say it as someone who thought he had lung cancer and was making plans to do the same damn thing if the medical results had not come in otherwise. Rest in peace.

I totally understand, sub. I had a lump in my breast and it was not really painful, but it was uncomfortable. I was convinced I had breast cancer, not something a man would expect (although it does happen). In my mind it couldn't be anything else and I was in the early stages of making my plans to check out once the diagnosis was confirmed.

It wasn't breast cancer and it was a reaction to some medication, but the thought of surgery, chemo etc.. was just a little too much.

I wish we could have had Robin around for a while longer, but I won't try to second guess his decision.

• Like 2

What disgusts me the most is all the speculation. Even people from AA trying to make a buck out him , disclosing about him attending meetings and reaching out to them. That is absolutely revolting, totally against the concept.

Think it's time for people to be thankful for the the laughter he bought to many people, and celebrate his life, and let his family mourn his loss in peace.

Edited by mrtoad
  • Like 1

i would imagine that parkinsons is worse than alzhiemers, with modern meds-alzheimers takes like a decade to reach final stages during that time the victims forgets alot but if they have a spouse to look after them, and they were an easy going person to start with, its not that bad, they can be happy and still enjoy gardening, bicycling and can even continue doing things like using computers and TV for years, physically they are ok, its only at the end when it starts causing them to be incontinent and such, and by then they're so out of it .. it's actually not such a bad way to go, fading out like that, if i get passed the age of 75 and die of alz. sometime in my 80s i will consider myself very fortunate.

What disgusts me the most is all the speculation. Even people from AA trying to make a buck out him , disclosing about him attending meetings and reaching out to them. That is absolutely revolting, totally against the concept.

Think it's time for people to be thankful for the the laughter he bought to many people, and celebrate his life, and let his family mourn his loss in peace.

AA is an organisation of mentally ill people, it's hardly surprising that not everyone is a saint. Anyway, after someone dies, it is not breaking their anonymity to say they went to AA.