Bangkok Metropolitan Police to clamp all illegally parked cars

webfact

Metropolitan Police to clamp all cars illegally parked

BANGKOK, August 15, 2014 (NNT) - Starting August 18th, traffic police will clamp all cars involved in parking violations.

Deputy Metropolitan Police Chief Pol Maj-Gen Adul Narongsak stated that the police would put clamps on cars that park on prohibited spots throughout the country.

After a period of crackdown, Pol Maj-Gen Adul said illegal parking were still found on restricted areas such as secondary roads and narrow lanes, causing inconveniences and traffic problems to commuters.

By next Monday, the police will therefore intensify the effort by taking immediate action against drivers violating traffic laws on 90 major intersections throughout Bangkok.

Some of these laws include disallowing drivers to chat or text on their mobile phones, overtaking a vehicle at close range, wrong-way parking, and possessing a fake license plate.

The new crackdown is expected to resolve traffic problems and instill discipline into drivers in order to create a safe driving environment.

[nnt]2014-08-15[/nnt]

• Like 2

Didn't they start the same a about a year ago ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/676101-towing-of-illegally-parked-vehicles-commences-in-bangkok/?hl=+illegally%20+parked%20+cars

It seems that the previous crack down was short lived, wonder if this one gonna last any further than some loud noise from a big wig

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

Starting August 18th!!

Other cities have been doing it for years now!!

...........The new crackdown is expected to resolve traffic problems and instill discipline into drivers in order to create a safe driving environment..............   cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif 

• Like 2

"Deputy Metropolitan Police Chief Pol Maj-Gen Adul Narongsak stated that the police would put clamps on cars that park on prohibited spots throughout the country." He is only a Deputywink.png but since when did the Bangkok Metropolitan Police have jurisdiction over the rest of the country ?whistling.gif 

Edited by khwaibah

"Deputy Metropolitan Police Chief Pol Maj-Gen Adul Narongsak stated that the police would put clamps on cars that park on prohibited spots throughout the country." He is only a Deputywink.png but since when did the Bangkok Metropolitan Police have jurisdiction over the rest of the country ?whistling.gif 

Bangkok Met Police is a division of The Royal Thai Police. Thus under the same umbrella, so to speak. The major problems with double and illegal parking are predominantly in the Bangkok area, which has by far the most serious traffic problems, although Chiang Mai residents may disagree.

Starting August 18th!!

...........The new crackdown is expected to resolve traffic problems and instill discipline into drivers in order to create a safe driving environment..............   cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif 

Not in Khon Kaen...laugh.png

Theses wreck are on the other side of the eight lanes in front of Queen Sirikit Hospital

• Like 1

" After a period of crackdown, Pol Maj-Gen Adul said illegal parking were still found on restricted areas such as secondary roads and narrow lanes, causing inconveniences and traffic problems to commuters."

If these cars are clamped in these places, won't they still cause traffic problems?

I'd imagine the presence of extra policing vehicles and potential tow vehicles would cause more traffic probelms. Wouldn't you?

Starting August 18th!!

Theses wreck are on the other side of the eight lanes in front of Queen Sirikit Hospital

The red pickups are off the road. The other photo looks like a back alley somewhere. I think the idea is to get rid of cars blocking flowing traffic?

• Like 1

How about updating the driver registration database so you can fine offenders?  A few 5,000 baht fines should discourage most.  In NYC you can't park illegally for more then 10 minutes without getting a ticket, and I'm guessing cops here are far more cost effective than New York's finest.  While we're on the subject of tracking folks, how about revamping the ridiculous Tabien Baan crap?  When driving here at excess speeds we get tickets delivered to my in-laws place which is some 800 km from where we actually live.  Of course I have to report every 90 days so the Thai government knows where I am, but they believe my wife and daughter live in Tak.  What would the population of Bangkok be if they were able to realistically account for people rather than relying on an outdated Tabien Baan system?  My guess is in excess of 20 million.

In the end, this is as impossible as this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/751925-majority-of-thais-plan-to-skip-alcohol-during-buddhist-lent-ddc-poll/

Pol Maj-Gen Adul said illegal parking were still found on restricted areas such as secondary roads and narrow lanes, causing inconveniences and traffic problems to commuters.

ok.. So I'll be the dumba$$ to ask ... how does clamping a vehicle relieve .. >>> inconveniences and traffic problems to commuters.

Starting August 18th!!

The red pickups are off the road. The other photo looks like a back alley somewhere. I think the idea is to get rid of cars blocking flowing traffic?

My empties block my way to the gate. Can I blame the bin-men? ;)

Starting August 18th!!

My empties block my way to the gate. Can I blame the bin-men? wink.png

No! Park the empties out in the soi and they will be gone before you crack a fresh one.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

" After a period of crackdown, Pol Maj-Gen Adul said illegal parking were still found on restricted areas such as secondary roads and narrow lanes, causing inconveniences and traffic problems to commuters."

If these cars are clamped in these places, won't they still cause traffic problems?

I'd imagine the presence of extra policing vehicles and potential tow vehicles would cause more traffic probelms. Wouldn't you?

No idea. However replacing one bad idea with another is hardly going to help. Towing I would imagine would cause a lot of problems, but so will immobile vehicles. In the long term towing and large recovery fees might be a better solution.

Something needs to be done though.