New German bakery/cafe Jomtien 2nd road

balo

ok, for the less than "elitist" tastes - the old Carrefour now BigC extra has a French baker working there and they produce pretty decent stuff. It is more bread and croissants than cakes and cream cakes but within in their limits they are doing fine. Bread is much easier than cakes and can be somewhat adapted to mass production. I should also mention the French baker on the road leading to Jomtien. Nice French-Thai family. They are descendants of generations of French bakers. The croissants were always very nice.

If you like a good cream cake, for instance, forget about the above. You better go to an Austrian or German 'Konditor' and enjoy their products. You wont go every day, maybe once a week. It is a treat and it is worthwhile. A good sign is when you can talk with an owner about his products and he will gladly fill you in. When I lived in Germany I went once a week to a Konditor and bought a "Mandelsemmel." They had them only on Fridays and Saturdays. It cost almost double than one in a supermarket or a chain outlet. I still remember the taste. I could never find anything similar outside Germany. The bread culture in Germany is unique, perhaps including Austria, parts of Switzerland and adjoining regions as they all share the same heritage.

A good and well-run German bakery is a welcome option.

• Like 1

This is definitely not for people on a budget, and I suggest KittenKong and others on a budget

go and seek out the 60 Baht breakfasts - plenty of those in Pattaya.

Me and my family enjoy the better quality food, and so far have been enjoying breakfasts at

Back Fabrik at least once a week for the last 4 weeks ...

Apparently you dont understand the difference between being on a budget and liking good value for money.

I'm lucky enough to have no budget at all, but the places I eat at do offer both good quality and good value. What I dont like is quite ordinary places that masquerade as being something above average, and overcharge accordingly, and there are is no shortage whatsoever of places like that in Pattaya.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Apparently you dont understand the difference between being on a budget and liking good value for money.

I'm lucky enough to have no budget at all, but the places I eat at do offer both good quality and good value. What I dont like is quite ordinary places that masquerade as being something above average, and overcharge accordingly, and there are is no shortage whatsoever of places like that in Pattaya.

Are you saying that I will get the same quality bread at the Irish Wolfhound

as I will at Back Fabrik ? Freshly baked variety, of good German breads ...

If I can get the same quality of bread (and other breakfast items) at a lower

cost, I am happy to switch !

luudee

Being Scandinavian myself , I agree with the earlier poster that they should not marketing it as a Scandinavian breakfast , if there is such a thing. We do not eat salmon for breakfast, thats for sure. .

The German breakfast has more in common with the Scandinavian. You'll get slices of cheese, ham, fresh jam, boiled or fried eggs, and potatoes. I will try the German breakfast next time .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ok, for the less than "elitist" tastes - the old Carrefour now BigC extra has a French baker working there and they produce pretty decent stuff. It is more bread and croissants than cakes and cream cakes but within in their limits they are doing fine. Bread is much easier than cakes and can be somewhat adapted to mass production. I should also mention the French baker on the road leading to Jomtien. Nice French-Thai family. They are descendants of generations of French bakers. The croissants were always very nice.

If you like a good cream cake, for instance, forget about the above. You better go to an Austrian or German 'Konditor' and enjoy their products. You wont go every day, maybe once a week. It is a treat and it is worthwhile. A good sign is when you can talk with an owner about his products and he will gladly fill you in. When I lived in Germany I went once a week to a Konditor and bought a "Mandelsemmel." They had them only on Fridays and Saturdays. It cost almost double than one in a supermarket or a chain outlet. I still remember the taste. I could never find anything similar outside Germany. The bread culture in Germany is unique, perhaps including Austria, parts of Switzerland and adjoining regions as they all share the same heritage.

If we are talking just about bakeries and breads, I was very much impressed with the bakery at Central,

I think it is part of the TOPs store on the ground floor. Very nice selection of various fresh breads (also

some Mediterranean variety, I go crazy for those, lol).

I think it was called CP, or something, I was lightheaded from the bread selection, can't remember :P

luudee

If you add some slices of paprika to these, then it will be perfect. Under the cereal there is in my opinion Vanilla Yoghurt or Long Milk but that doesn't exist in Thailand so Duche yoghurt works fine.

Danish-breakfast.jpg

Yang, this sounds like a great suggestion !

Have you tried talking to "Guenter" ? The German owner ? He seems like a very reasonable guy and I am sure he would love to hear your suggestion !!!

luudee

Edited by luudee

Are you saying that I will get the same quality bread at the Irish Wolfhound

as I will at Back Fabrik ? Freshly baked variety, of good German breads ...

If I can get the same quality of bread (and other breakfast items) at a lower

cost, I am happy to switch !

The breakfast at the Irish Wolfhound is much more than bread, though it's true that their bread is the worst part of the meal (it's factory white bread from Makro). It's the rest of the breakfast that makes it for me and I think it is good value for 60B (a mug of British tea alone might cost 40B elsewhere). The quality of the cooked part of the breakfast cant really be faulted.

For better bread, including that German-style dark bread, I would go to Hotel Danmark where the breakfast seems to include all the things that people are asking for in this thread.

For better bread that is more to my taste I would go to Casa Pascal. Good croissants there too.

All are good quality and good value for money, in their way.

I walked to the Hotel Danmark this morning after the positive comments. All they had was a buffet, I asked for a menu but they didn't have one so I kept on walking to Rich Man Poor Man and had their Hungry Man breakfast. Delicious, comes with french toast and syrup.

post-9935-0-45970800-1417833217_thumb.jp

Edited by ThaiBob

I've tried various places and Hotel Danmark is still winning the breakfast war by a wide margain. The bread there is good plus they have about 10 different kinds of jam. Need to try Irish Wolf hound next.

The Irish Wolfhound is very different to Hotel Danmark, not least in the price, but I'm sure you will like the breakfast there and will find it a pleasant change. They also do a big breakfast for 100B. As is common with most British or Irish-run places here, I cant recommend their coffee but the tea is good.

I walked to the Hotel Danmark this morning after the positive comments. All they had was a buffet, I asked for a menu but they didn't have one so I kept on walking to Rich Man Poor Man and had their Hungry Man breakfast. Delicious, comes with french toast and syrup.

To be fair, I dont think that anyone has suggested that Hotel Danmark do anything other than a buffet. Had you tried the buffet you could have tasted many of the fairly uncommon things that they do, which I find interesting. It probably isn't the best place to go to for a traditional fried breakfast though.

I tried the meat loaf breakfast at Back Fabric.

Fried egg over a thick slice of German meatloaf, served with a generous portion of home fries cooked with onion, bacon in real butter.

Nice blended strong coffee from the espresso machine. 210Bt.

That is a superb value considering it's prepared by a European chef with the quality ingredients.

That would cost about 400Bt in Europe I suppose.

Now the 60Bt breakfast prepared by a nose picking Thai teenager with the cheapest ingredients? Value isn't the word I'm thinking.

• Like 2

To be fair, I dont think that anyone has suggested that Hotel Danmark do anything other than a buffet. Had you tried the buffet you could have tasted many of the fairly uncommon things that they do, which I find interesting. It probably isn't the best place to go to for a traditional fried breakfast though.
Per their website, they offer an American and continental breakfast and I wanted a proper sit down breakfast. I don't want eggs and bacon from a warmer and I am not interested in 10 types of jam. If I wanted a buffet I would go to Casa Pascal. I will give Back Fabrik a try for a traditional breakfast. Edited by ThaiBob

Per their website, they offer an American and continental breakfast and I wanted a proper sit down breakfast. I don't want eggs and bacon from a warmer and I am not interested in 10 types of jam. If I wanted a buffet I would go to Casa Pascal.

I would say that the breakfast they do can be both American style and continental style. But it's a buffet and not plated.

Both the eggs and bacon can be cooked to order in the way you wish and the girl doing it is usually very quick to point that out. When the place is busy they do generally have some bacon that is ready to serve, for those who prefer not to wait. I've never noticed them cook eggs in advance there so maybe the ones you saw were actually being cooked to order for other people.

Casa Pascal is fine and I go there often, but it doesnt have anything like the range of items that Hotel Danmark does. The most interesting thing about it is the wide selection of unusual ingredients that you would not normally find anywhere here, so as I said it probably isn't the best place to go if you just want a standard set breakfast.

Fried egg over a thick slice of German meatloaf, served with a generous portion of home fries cooked with onion, bacon in real butter.

That is a superb value considering it's prepared by a European chef with the quality ingredients.

Now the 60Bt breakfast prepared by a nose picking Thai teenager with the cheapest ingredients? Value isn't the word I'm thinking.

Only thai teenagers pick there nose ?

Reply to post 48. You are probably right, I only saw eggs and bacon in the warmers. There was no visible egg/omelet station like many other buffets. There is different prices for an American breakfast and a buffet on their website, if it is current, who knows. I asked for a menu but the waitress said they didn't have one, what I saw didn't look appealing to me so I kept on walking. I will go back and try again.

Edited by ThaiBob

Reply to post 48. You are probably right, I only saw eggs and bacon in the warmers. There was no visible egg/omelet station like many other buffets. There is different prices for an American breakfast and a buffet on their website, if it is current, who knows. I asked for a menu but the waitress said they didn't have one, what I saw didn't look appealing to me so I kept on walking. I will go back and try again.

Yeah try some of the non traditional dishes. Some are hidden like the fruit salad and coconut cookies. Personal favorite is the hunk of blu cheese and the cold bacon or whatever that is. They have the heart attack station too where you can get fried bacon and eggs, it's around the corner.

The original post is about the new German bakery on Jomtien 2nd road but since we are getting a little off topic mentioning other breakfast eateries I would like to remind everyone about the great breakfast deal offered at the Apex Hotel on 2nd Road in Pattaya. Good, but not great quality, but plenty of selections.

If you want to discuss breakfasts in other places in Jomtien, we already have a thread about that.

This topic is about Back Fabrik and their excellent food. I will not only recommend the breakfasts there but they make some really good sandwiches you should check out next time .

Silly.

Silly.

I think you are silly, being ripped off at the Irish Wolfhound.

60Baht!? You do know the formula for restaurant costing, the chef probably only invested 21Baht in the meals ingredients.

Yummy.

If we are talking just about bakeries and breads, I was very much impressed with the bakery at Central,

I think it is part of the TOPs store on the ground floor. Very nice selection of various fresh breads (also

some Mediterranean variety, I go crazy for those, lol).

I think it was called CP, or something, I was lightheaded from the bread selection, can't remember tongue.png

luudee

Ludee,

i fully agree. Last time in pattaya I made a routine to check what they have. Surprisingly, you find even Turkish stile bread there. The various kinds of "German" bread are ok and pretty good by Thai standards. For a good whole grain bread you still need a professional baker and one who had training in producing these. This holds true also for the BigC Extra bakery. The sour dough is good by local standards but in Germany it would be hardly average. I used to check both stores and take my pick.

As for a real German bakery with properly made bread it will cost you more. In German supermarkets you can get good bread and "Brotchen" (small white bread) and other items. The stuff in family owned small bake shops, however, is better in quality and freshness (no half-baked, frozen and ready to reheat products). You will pay more in these small places and yet they do exist. This is for a reason.

So let's not compare a real German bakery with a bakery outlet and the question price does exist but for a good reason. I think consumers get a good deal at BigC and the basement supermarket in Central, as Ludee rightly pointed out. For the little extra and a treat the Back Fabrik is obviously a go to place.

As far cakes are concerned - just save the money and when the budget is right go to the real place. The supermarket staff can do pastries to some extent but cakes? Maybe a poor imitation. Even pastries, you want that precision only a master baker can produce with the right materials. The baker in BigC Extra once told me about his problems in recruiting good local staff. It was not just teaching but also making sure that they do what they were told. So he was pretty much a stressed-out supervisor and staff has been rather rotating than just changing over the past years.

The last time I had a good cake in Thailand was in BKK in a 5* hotel and that piece of Schwarzwalderkirsch was not cheap. It was very good. So even if the new place charges double for a nice piece of cake, you still get a bargain. It is a treat and it is nice if it can be found.

• Like 1

Silly.

I think you are silly, being ripped off at the Irish Wolfhound.

60Baht!? You do know the formula for restaurant costing, the chef probably only invested 21Baht in the meals ingredients.

Yummy.

I suspect that your German and my Irishman both do their shopping at Makro (as do most other restaurants in town) and that they both use exactly the same eggs and onions and potatoes, and quite possibly the same bacon and meat etc. Perhaps you should actually try that 60B breakfast before criticising its quality? Cheap things are not necessarily bad quality, and expensive ones are not necessarily any good at all.

• Like 1