Employment Prohibited

I currently have a non immigrant o multi entry visa valid for one year - stamped on it is 'employment prohibited. The visa runs out in October.

I am currently in the UK returning to Thailand this month - I should have 400,000baht sent from the UK in my Thai bank account to meet requirements for the one year extension on a non immigrant o.

I also will be taking over a business that should meet the requirements for me to have a work permit.

basically my question is, if I go to the embassy will I require a new non imm o visa, is it likely to be stamped 'employment prohibited' again and if it is what is the way around this? :

I have tried contacting the embassy but all they do is send me a wad of application forms for various visas leaving me none the wiser.

Sorry if this posting is a bit garbled!

it means just that. you can't work with a marriage visa. if you want to work, you need a work permit and a different visa class..

I might be miss reading this but it is my understanding that you can get a work permit with a "marriage visa". In fact I have a friend in Bangsaen who has done it already. :o

it means just that. you can't work with a marriage visa. if you want to work, you need a work permit and a different visa class..

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!

You most definately CAN work legaly with a non-o gained on the grounds of support Thai wife!!!!! I have one and a work permit :o

Our OP doesn't say how old he is but I wonder if he has a non-OA (retirement) visa.

Anon, where did you obtain your visa? Did they want any info other than your marriage cert?

My visa says 'no extension of stay' but that didn't seem to make any difference, still got my extension.

A work permit allows work - not the visa - you can work on any non immigrant class visa but the purpose of the visa must not be retirement (O-A or extension of O for retirement). Your current visa is fine. Even if it were a tourist (60 day) and had to be changed that can be done by Immigration now.

Anonymouse.

A mistake has been made.

In another thread you wrote that you obtained your one year multi O based on marriage from the Thai consulate Hull. Hull don't issue O-A retirement so that can't explain it. They do issue O visas on the basis you intend to apply for retirement extension within Thailand, which could.

I suggest you go to the embassy/consulate who issued it to get it rectified.

You may find that in Thailand it will be assumed you applied based on retirement and, before issuing a work permit, you will be invited to obtain an extension based on marriage which can take time.

Edited by diddlysquat

Anonymouse.

A mistake has been made.

In another thread you wrote that you obtained your one year multi O based on marriage from the Thai consulate Hull. Hull don't issue O-A retirement so that can't explain it. They do issue O visas on the basis you intend to apply for retirement extension within Thailand, which could.

You may find that in Thailand it will be assumed you applied based on retirement and, before issuing a work permit, you will be invited to obtain an extension based on marriage which can take time.

Thanks all for your replies.

my visa is a non o based on marriage to a Thai national I'm 40 yrs old so retirement is not an issue. before I left Thailand last month my lawyer suggested that I get a new visa as the 'employment prohibited' stamp may cause problems when applying for a work permit.

looks like I will have to go the embassy in London next week and try to sort it out.

Thanks again

Anonymouse.

A mistake has been made.

my visa is a non o based on marriage to a Thai national I'm 40 yrs old so retirement is not an issue. before I left Thailand last month my lawyer suggested that I get a new visa as the 'employment prohibited' stamp may cause problems when applying for a work permit.

looks like I will have to go the embassy in London next week and try to sort it out.

Thanks again

Re-read Lopburi's post. A trip to the embassy won't be needed.

You'll be fine with the current visa in your passport. It says employment prohibited as the visa itself doesn't give you the right to work, only to enter Thailand for an extended period.

However, with an 'O' visa in hand, you can apply for a work permit, which will be the instrument which will allow you to work here in Thailand.

Anonymouse.

A mistake has been made.

Thanks again

You'll be fine with the current visa in your passport. It says employment prohibited as the visa itself doesn't give you the right to work, only to enter Thailand for an extended period.

However, with an 'O' visa in hand, you can apply for a work permit, which will be the instrument which will allow you to work here in Thailand.

I agree with Samran, although wouldn't have before I knew you were under 50.

However if a visit to the Embassy is not a great inconvenience I would go for peace of mind, particularly as your lawyer has suggested it. "Employment Prohibited" has been stamped on the visa as a condition of entry. A clerk in the labour office may assume it means what it says and refer you to immigration to get it corrected, and Imm may ask why did you not get it sorted in England.... many on this forum have tales of Thai bureaucracy.

Edited by diddlysquat

Anonymouse.

A mistake has been made.

Thanks again

I agree with Samran, although wouldn't have before I knew you were under 50.

However if a visit to the Embassy is not a great inconvenience I would go for peace of mind, particularly as your lawyer has suggested it. "Employment Prohibited" has been stamped on the visa as a condition of entry. A clerk in the labour office may assume it means what it says and refer you to immigration to get it corrected, and Imm may ask why did you not get it sorted in England.... many on this forum have tales of Thai bureaucracy.

I don't think it is neccesary to go to the Enbassy - I have a Non-Immigrant O from Hull, which has the Employment Prohibited stamp, I just signed for my Work Permit yesterday...

I don't think it is neccesary to go to the Enbassy - I have a Non-Immigrant O from Hull, which has the Employment Prohibited stamp, I just signed for my Work Permit yesterday...

The embassy had a reputation for bloody mindedness.

Hull have a reputation for a relaxed attiude in issuing visas. So I wonder why they are doing this.

One location could be someones error, two must be a deliberate policy.

I think Anonymouse should still go to the embassy for the purpose of forum research to see what they say. :o

Well, from actually going to the emabassy in London, they were fine. Busy, professional, and fine.

Dress nicely, don't look like you've been out on the booze (for some reason, there is always someone who does!!), and you'll be fine.

Thanks all for your replies. I 'll go to the embassy on wednesday [ they're closed for the next two days] just for peace of mind and let you know what the outcome is.

The right decision. It is not Samran or I or any of the others here who will process your WP application.

And why he should impress upon you the need not to look boozed up is quite a puzzle. Unless he speaks fromexperience :o:D

Had to have a quick look at my last couple of Non Immi "Os" since I dont remember seeing anything about an "Employment Prohibited "stamp on it and sure enough there aint......

begs the question...?

I visited the Thai embassy in London today and spoke to a lady there.

She tells me that you can't get a work permit on a non immigrant o visa and that I will have to change it to a 'b' if I require a work permit!

I didn't see the point in arguing with her. I'll try immigration in Chiang Mai next week and let you know the score.

She tells me that you can't get a work permit on a non immigrant o visa and that I will have to change it to a 'b' if I require a work permit!

I didn't see the point in arguing with her. I'll try immigration in Chiang Mai next week and let you know the score.

I'm sorry you had a wasted journey.

No wonder there is so much confusion on this forum when the people who are paid to know the ;law are pig-ignorant.

Madness. You can get a work permit with an "O" visa. Don't be surprised that Immigration doesn't tell you the same, because they don't know either.

The Labor dept knows and will tell you, yes a work permit can be obtain with any non immigrant visa except if it is a "O-A" visa or extenstion of stay based on retirement. This is the Thai law!

http://www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Welcome to Thailand...sort of! Rule one when dealing with government departments. They know there own job (usually) but will sometimes not have a clue about other places. So based on that you should assume:

The embassy know the rules for issuing visa's...and that's all.

Immigration know the rules for letting you in and how long you can stay for....and that's all.

The Labour Department knows the rules about work permits...and that's all.

That is why places like TV and Sunbelt exist, as it is a repository of the experienced wisdom of many many people. IMOH neither entity would be half as successful if seperate government departments worked with a modicum of harmony with each other.

So...the conclusion...you can work on a non-O permit. But if you want to be really sure, ring the labour department.

That is why places like TV and Sunbelt exist, as it is a repository of the experienced wisdom of many many people. IMOH neither entity would be half as successful if seperate government departments worked with a modicum of harmony with each other.

Very well said.

I was a tad hard on the British Embassy. They in fact have referred people to us. Every Government Department does their job well but don't know all the answers for other peoples departments. Just like the Labor dept does not all the requirements of the British Embassy to issue a educational visa or the requirements for a Thai retirement visa in Dubai.

Thats is why Thaivisa is popular and our firm continues to grow. :o

http://www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Wow, i'm happy for you guys. :o Wish i was as lucky. Labour department in

Surin gave me a no because of the "Employment Prohibited" in my visa.

Now what do I do?

Going back and rubbing some info gotten off of a webboard in their faces

doesn't sound like a good course of action.

Best,

NoBuzz

Edited by noBuzz

Now what do I do?

Best,

NoBuzz

fair point.

Get them to call the labour department in BKK. Better yet, you or a friend call them, and once you have found the correct person to speak to, let the Labour department in Surin talk to them. At the end of the day, they always answer to bangkok.

Now what do I do?

Best,

NoBuzz

You need to stick at it, because they are wrong.

You'll need to do what the previous poster said and see if you have any joy there.

You can work - that's the thing. I've that dirty big, "employment prohibited" stamp and I was surprised when I was told I could work - I was even sceptical - but I have had no problem getting a WP!

Well... they might be wrong.. but they wont admit it. :D

Went back to the department today and told the guy about the information i

recieved here. He called his boss in bangkok and got it verified that the stamp

prohibits employment.

He also told me that i didn't need to go abroad to get a new visa, i could go

to the immigrations office in BKK and they could have the "Employment Prohibited"

entry revoked. I'm not sure i believe him. :o

Is there anyone that actually knows or has references to regulations or someone

at the ministry or the department in BKK that knows?

I'm looking for a quick fix now. If i can't get it positively confirmed that I can have

this easily resolved immidiately then I'm off abroad tomorrow.

Best,

NoBuzz