What Do You Think When You See A Western Man And A Thai Woman?

thohts

Your post is either not very clear... or I am just particularly thick today.

If your appearance and behaviour do not tell your whole story at a glance, there is no reason to make a film about your couple.

What does "make a film about your couple" mean? Are you addressing all Western men with Thai girlfriends, or one particular couple in this thread?

he is just at the age he will regret in a 20 years time

Will he regret being 45? Will he regret having been with a young girlfriend? Will he regret it if he did not take the opportunity to be with this girl?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is it that Western women are thinking when they see me with my Thai girlfriend? I know one person can't speak for everyone, but some insight would be appreciated.

I'm not here trying to troll or incite comparisons of this-and-that. I'm sure I'm not the first guy to think, "what is she thinking?" when such awkward glances (or worse) are received. I respect this forum and am hoping that my own curiousity will be at least partially satiated.

Both my girlfriend of a couple of years and I are both ~30, well-dressed, fairly attractive, and friendly. But for some reason, we often get awkward, sometimes 'impolite' looks from Western women as though we were to be some kind of evil force. Usually it's when we're in an elevator or on the BTS. While I realize that women naturally tend to scrutinize one-another, I have observed people enough to know the difference between a curious stare (or even envious) and a look of disdain, and am observant enough to know it is not paranoia.

We've met some women with whom we've become friends with but have not, unfortunately, been willing to ask them directly about what they were thinking when they first saw us. None of them are from the US or Europe, which is where I hope some of the insight will come from.

Why does it bother me? Sure.. everyone has their own opinion and it's usually none of my concern. But with this, it feels like some kind of unknown rejection from people (strangers, basically) that you feel a kinship with.

I've often heard it said (back in the US, before I realized I was also attracted to Asian women) that men are usually interested in Asian women because they are passive. While we know, generally speaking, this oversimplification isn't true I think there is still the common belief that, in a pairing of Western male/Asian female, the male has the upper hand in the relationship and is not on equal footing with the female. (e.g., "how could they possibly have anything in common when she can't even speak good English", and other assumptions). Along with the typical prostitute/sex-tourist/sugar-daddy conjectures, this is my wanting explanation for some of the looks.

Any ideas?

I don't think you should really care what people think, but I can see why you ask the question. Me, being a typical woman, do look at other women. When I've been in Thailand, I admit I do look at Thai women, I look at them though and not at the couple. The reason I look at them is because i'm looking at their fashion, their clothes, their figures and thinking 'she's thinner than me, another one thinner than me, nice shoes, that top would look better with another skirt!!!' and so on..... I do this in any country though! I'm not really that sad, I just like to look out for something that I may want for myself!

Referring to any couple (whether thai or not), I admit that in the past I've thought, why are they together, he/she can do much better than that. Very shallow I know as i've gone purely on looks, though I don't mean it and would never say it out loud. I would never say my comments out loud though as frankly its none of my business and I would not like to hurt anyones feelings. I've never tried to look at someone with an expression that they may find offensive because I've been on the end of that myself. I'm a people watcher. People can have so much more in common than language, you don't always have to speak to communicate. The word prostitute can be defined in so many ways. Some people would say that if a woman allows a man to pay for everything on a night out and then sleep together, is prostitution. I think you worry too much, who cares. I say each to their own if thats what makes them happy!

2. We are not talking about the sex trade per se here,we are talking about couples. And it is obvious that you have your own ideas about white foreign women with dark men. [...]

Huh??

3. I'm glad that you can use big, obscure words. [...]

"Obscure words?" --- WELL I'M GLAD YOU'RE "A RESEARCHER".. :o

Ran out of 50 cent words, huh? Well, why not stick to more simple ones and formulate an argument first.

I think the western men I notice are the tourist men here flaunting their scantily clad thai "grilfriends" around in inappropriate places. Even then it's a glance and I'm on about my business. It seems that when western men arrive here they think anything goes; and even though the thai people seem accepting and may not say anything, but you can bet they are thinking it.

Exactly....when you walk past someone in the street, no-one knows their story. If your walking down the street with a scantily dressed lady, then peoples imagination will run wild, knowing exactly what goes on, will put 2+2 together and normally come out with 5. Everyone has a good 'butchers' at these well dressed women, even the missus and myself will exchange comments / looks.

But people will always ask or wonder, what your story is and unless it is emblazoned across your t-shirt, they will make their own assumption.

... I also believe not only Western women would give Western man with Thai woman a scorn look, Thai society as a whole would look on the couple the same way as well.

I think you make a very good point here. I love your avatar by the way :o That dog has a lot of character.

I agree to an extent. I know a very well educated Thai woman with a farang husband and she has told me that some Thai people (not all but enough to make it noticeable) make disparaging comments to her in Thai about having a farang husband-- even though she is clearly educated and well-to-do.

I guess it goes along the lines of the Thai girls who made a similar comment to my husband: "Well, I guess Thai girls aren't good enough for him". Perhaps just sour grapes on some people's part.

Further to your last point SBK, when I've worked with Thais in the past, female Thai colleagues on hearing I was married, always assumed my wife was Thai, popssibly because I speak Thai. When they found out she wasn't Thai (or farang), 99% of the time the next question would be,'' why aren't you married to a Thai?' or 'Don't you like Thai?' - This wasn't said in an unkind way, they were just curious.

Other observations of different reactions we've received, depending on where we are.

We are both in our late 30's.

In England (my home country) - no reaction at all apart from many English women kindly complimenting my wife on her long hair.

In Malaysia - lots of snide remarks from Malay youths (I speak Malay). Just the fact that a Malay is with a westerner and therefor in their eyes a non-Muslim is enough to incite their wrath. Having said that, when they learn that I am in fact Muslim, have understood what they have said and have then offered them a 'Salaam', they tend to blush and change their tune.

In Thailand - from farang tourists, usually nothing, the occasional glance, probably more out of curiosity than anything.

What is it that Western women are thinking when they see me with my Thai girlfriend? I know one person can't speak for everyone, but some insight would be appreciated.

I'm not here trying to troll or incite comparisons of this-and-that. I'm sure I'm not the first guy to think, "what is she thinking?" when such awkward glances (or worse) are received. I respect this forum and am hoping that my own curiousity will be at least partially satiated.

Both my girlfriend of a couple of years and I are both ~30, well-dressed, fairly attractive, and friendly. But for some reason, we often get awkward, sometimes 'impolite' looks from Western women as though we were to be some kind of evil force. Usually it's when we're in an elevator or on the BTS. While I realize that women naturally tend to scrutinize one-another, I have observed people enough to know the difference between a curious stare (or even envious) and a look of disdain, and am observant enough to know it is not paranoia.

We've met some women with whom we've become friends with but have not, unfortunately, been willing to ask them directly about what they were thinking when they first saw us. None of them are from the US or Europe, which is where I hope some of the insight will come from.

Why does it bother me? Sure.. everyone has their own opinion and it's usually none of my concern. But with this, it feels like some kind of unknown rejection from people (strangers, basically) that you feel a kinship with.

I've often heard it said (back in the US, before I realized I was also attracted to Asian women) that men are usually interested in Asian women because they are passive. While we know, generally speaking, this oversimplification isn't true I think there is still the common belief that, in a pairing of Western male/Asian female, the male has the upper hand in the relationship and is not on equal footing with the female. (e.g., "how could they possibly have anything in common when she can't even speak good English", and other assumptions). Along with the typical prostitute/sex-tourist/sugar-daddy conjectures, this is my wanting explanation for some of the looks.

Any ideas?

I don't think you should really care what people think, but I can see why you ask the question. Me, being a typical woman, do look at other women. When I've been in Thailand, I admit I do look at Thai women, I look at them though and not at the couple. The reason I look at them is because i'm looking at their fashion, their clothes, their figures and thinking 'she's thinner than me, another one thinner than me, nice shoes, that top would look better with another skirt!!!' and so on..... I do this in any country though! I'm not really that sad, I just like to look out for something that I may want for myself!

Referring to any couple (whether thai or not), I admit that in the past I've thought, why are they together, he/she can do much better than that. Very shallow I know as i've gone purely on looks, though I don't mean it and would never say it out loud. I would never say my comments out loud though as frankly its none of my business and I would not like to hurt anyones feelings. I've never tried to look at someone with an expression that they may find offensive because I've been on the end of that myself. I'm a people watcher. People can have so much more in common than language, you don't always have to speak to communicate. The word prostitute can be defined in so many ways. Some people would say that if a woman allows a man to pay for everything on a night out and then sleep together, is prostitution. I think you worry too much, who cares. I say each to their own if thats what makes them happy!

Good post Luna :o

This is a very interesting topic, and I will add some thoughts.

Some of the worst comments I have had is from Australia and Australians.

Comments like:

"How much did you pay for her"

".... So she married you for a visa"

"He married the maid"

"Its Ok to have an Asian Girlfriend, but not to marry one"

I found that sort of thing totally offensive, but they can live in their little insular lives, and I can ejoy the life I want.

I think there are two particular groups of people. Those who are in a genuine public relationship (to quote immigration) and those in a "Holiday" relationship. As a comparison, I walk up and down Sukhumvit with my wife, particularly after work, and no one even gives us a second glance. I am in a collar and Tie, my wife well dressed and obviously no one thinks a second thought. The second example, and they annoy me also, are the drunks wandering around, particularly in the middle of the day pouring themselves all over a bar-girl. Maybe not a b/g, but I would make a fair guess, covered in gold and tattoos is often a guide.

Moving on a little, so presentation will make a difference, however will not deter the genuine racists. I have pity for the racists and I hope one day their eyes are opened a little.

The bad looks from western men towards western women here. I think some men have had some bad experiences with western women and want an alternative. Finding a partner from a more traditional culture, where the values the men were taught as a child are still important. I am not talking about the "She is on a chain between the kitchen and bedroom" but rather the endless yearning of western women these days. It is sad that in some ways many western women cannot have their desires $$$ I mean fulfiled. Rather the more traditional wife is happy to sette for her lot in life.

So the some western men feel they are now "cock of the walk" and western women here are less than dirt. These days, I rather take a more balanced view, and think that western women here are here for similar reasons to the men (excluding the sex punters). They are here for something different, for work, to give-back, for a holiday, to accompany their partner, any number of reasons.

Anyway, this has been an interesting topic.

I agree - Luna's post is one of the best so far.

My Mum used to say very similar things about watching other women. I remember my English Ex also saying something very similar, something like "women dress for other women - not for men".

I have a similar experience to Somchai Jones in that more questions have been asked about my Thai wife by westerners (when back home with friends for example) than with or by Thai people in Thailand. As I said before, I don't really notice anyone looking at us here anymore - and you know, I'm not sure if they ever did.

A great deal depends on how you look and act. "Respectably"dressed thai/farang couiple of similiar age may draw a curious glance or two but outside of a few nuts can't imagine why anyone would be thinking negatively.

it's sex tourism will indeed get some disparaging looks (and even a whole lot more disparaging thoughts) from both farang and Thai.

Multiply the above 100 fold if it looks like sex tourism that may involve a minor or near minor. Bear in mind that some of the people giving you bad looks may themselves be parents and reacting accordingly.

And as a woman, I would add that one other factor besides what kind of relationship it seems to be that influences my attitude (which I try not to show, but it may) is how the man is behaving towards the woman. A lot of what I see makes me wince and if I am not able to conceal a disparaging glance it isn't towards the woman or even necessarily towards the fact that the man is with her but towards how is acting towards her in public. Even a sex worker deserves to be treated with respect for her dignity (especially by people who chose to avail of her services!). And Thais in particular put a lot of value on face. And what from a western eye mnight seem like natural pride in one's gf may from a Thai point of view be both an inappropriate display and loss of face for both parties.

Although she was poor when I met her, she is "upper class" now, after I encouraged her to start her own business some time ago.

I think you misunderstood how one can be classified as an 'upper class'. Just because she owns the business, doesn't mean she can claim to be an 'upper class woman'. Certainly not in Thailand.

I was referring to pay scale, not social standing.

Upper class as in much more income than Thai middle class. (What would you call it?)

THAT 'oppoutunity' you're talking about can only be applied to women who come from low socio-economic background - at least, lower than the farang guys. And honestly, MANY farang men who merried to some Thai women are NOT SMART AND SUCCESSFUL as quoted. Quite the opposite, actually. :D:o

I was making a comparison, of course. Not saying what you thought I said.

Yeah, nice post Luna. Very refreshing and honest (something we could use more of here)

On the "I think you worry too much" part, touché! :o

I had a run in with 6 backpackers (4 guys, 2 women) a couple of years back on Khao San Road.

I have a very good thai friend who is 12 years my junior (I'm 33) and have always seen her as my little sister. The fact that we see each other weekly and have weathered each others respective boyfriends and girlfriends is testimony to the strength of our friendship.

We had spent most of that day moving all my furniture into my new appartment and we decided to go to KSR for dinner as I couldn't be bothered to cook for once. After our meal I was walking her up to her bus stop when said group walked past us and one of the guys sneered "Feffing sex tourist!" The others all laughed as I stopped dead in my tracks. My friend grabbed my hand and said 'Come on Si, leave it, you know they are wrong!" but I simply couldn't.

I can take the looks we get when we are out together, thankfully most of the time she is blissfully unaware of what people are thinking. But when it turns vocal then something needs to be done about it.

I turned around and yelled "Oi" to which they all stopped and turned to face me. I walked up to them and asked the vocal man what he had just said. He repeated himslef and they started laughing again. "Do you realise what you have just done?"

"No. What?"

"Whilst I can tolerate an idiot like you calling me a sex tourist, you have just called a very good friend of mine a prostitute."

"Huh?"

"By looking at us together you have assumed that I am a sex tourist and that by default she must therefore be a bargirl. She is a university student and we have been very close friends for over 2 years now. She has a boyfriend and I have a girlfriend. Is that how you view all women here in Thailand, as prostitutes? How would you like it if I called your two friends there a couple of hookers?"

His eyes went down, and his two female friends started on him. "Yeah Tom, do you think all girls are hookers?"

"No. I'm sorry"

"Its not me you should be appologising to mate. Please just think before you speak next time, stop trying to be so bloody cool."

It is funny the way things appear though. The other day I saw a really attractive western couple get on the MRT and stand next to each other. They looked like a lovely couple, well matched with age and looks. Imagine my surprise when he turned around, hugged his thai girlfriend and said very loudly "I'm gonna f***** you so hard in a minute!" It was such a surprise and so appauling I burst out laughing and he turned to stare at me. The young western lady looked less than amused and I tried to catch her eye to somehow telepathically say "Please don't think we're all like that!"

Thailand is such a wonderful place. There never seems to be a dull moment.

• 2 weeks later...

what good timing for me to find this topic.

last night my wife and i went to see a movie at siam square (she's 24 i'm 32).

when we came out to find a taxi there was a tuk tuk stuck in traffic with an early 20s backpacker type couple in it and the girl was just staring straight at me.

i look away for a taxi but then i glanced back and her eyes were fixed on me. i almost asked her what she was looking at, but then i realised i had probably been staring at her thinking 'look at the stupid tourists getting ripped off in a tuk tuk' :o

the door swings both ways on this one....

I think the same thing, no matter the peoples race or the country I am in.

A couple that are around the same age, are pleasing to the eye. It is nice to see crossing (what might be considered) racial/social boundries in the name of love. I look and I smile.

An ugly man and a cute girl.. hmm he must have a big dick.

A fat man and a skinny girl .. hmm she must REALLY love him.

An old man and a young girl.. PERVERT.

This applies to white/ white, white/black, white/asian, black/ white, asian, or black.

IT is all the same..

Well I do think the age difference, and not the nationality difference, is what draws hostile looks. And it is indeed because of all the hype (and let's face it, truth behind the hype) around sex tiourism in Thailand.

Fact is, a lot of Thais look -- especially to a foreign eye that hasn't been long in country -- much younger than they are. If on top of that the man looks older than he is -- and a lot of western guys do seem to let their looks go when they get here -- people may very well be mistaking the 30 something + a 20 something as an over 40 with a teenager. Which as the above poster indicated, draws nasty looks no matter what the races/nationalities invovled. In some places, it draws a jail sentence.

What to do? You could (for the guy) try to look a little younger..or ask her to dress a little older. Or -- ignore it altogether. People who know you will know your real story.

Personally I don't think anything about it -- I consider myself very lucky --I am an old sick man and I needed someone to look after me -- My Thai friends found me a lady whom I married she is half my age but she takes care of me and I take care of her and her family -- I have had comments but I think those who comment are jealous. When I die ( and I hope that is not for a long time) she will have a small pension for all her life and she will have earned it God bless her.

Just curious, who has commented and why would they be jealous?

R4199246 - i know a bloke just like you. He's a Brit, in his mid 70s and very sick. He has had two heart ops and is teetering on the brink (well he was until he moved to thailand).

he married a bar girl 30 years younger than him and they live together in a house he paid to be built. she looks after him and he helps her financially. he lives around a lot of other expats in similar situations.

to me, that bloke is very very lucky. he loves his life and is exceeding the doctors predictions for his life expectancy. he doesnt have any family in the UK and would be stuck in some nursing home waiting to die.

sometimes me and my wife go and visit him and go out for a drink and everyone loves him, he's a real top lad (old school brit). yes, some tourists may give him funny looks but, like you say, its down to jealousy. maybe they are scared their rigid ideas of life will see them dying a lonely death in a nursing home???

Devils advocate here.

You not once mentioned loving her as a reason for marriage.

Soooo why did you have to marry her? Couldn’t you like adopt her as a child or sibling or even caretaker, and have her take care of you, and you provide her with the same compensation as you are now. Thus allowing her to start a family of her own and still have you to guide her?

Devils advocate here.

You not once mentioned loving her as a reason for marriage.

Soooo why did you have to marry her? Couldn’t you like adopt her as a child or sibling or even caretaker, and have her take care of you, and you provide her with the same compensation as you are now. Thus allowing her to start a family of her own and still have you to guide her?

What's wrong with that kind of arrangement? It's not a charity for both parties concerned.

To be fair, there are many different kinds of love but most people associate the relationship of marriage with romantic love rather than affection born out by association. At least, these days. 150 years ago, you would have been right with the times but perceptions have changed and most people feel that marriage should be more than just two people occupying the same house. Which, frankly, is probably why the divorce rate is high, expectations are as well.

But, regardless, that is another topic, not this one. Which, if I recall, is what people think when they see a Thai woman with a farang man, not what the farang man thinks of his relationship :o

I think the same thing, no matter the peoples race or the country I am in.

A couple that are around the same age, are pleasing to the eye. It is nice to see crossing (what might be considered) racial/social boundries in the name of love. I look and I smile.

An ugly man and a cute girl.. hmm he must have a big dick.

A fat man and a skinny girl .. hmm she must REALLY love him.

An old man and a young girl.. PERVERT.

This applies to white/ white, white/black, white/asian, black/ white, asian, or black.

IT is all the same..

I have been the recipient of many bad looks and comments in the States because my last wife was much younger than I. The main problem in our marriage was my work. I had to work far more than she deemed acceptable and could not spend the time with her that she thought was proper. One works a lot of hours in the restaurant business and she was not happy at all with the arrangement. For the rest, were very compatible.

In Thailand my lady is 37 and I am 60. She is not a young looking 37. She is very outgoing and we have many friends of all ages and social status. We don’t get any funny looks or snide comments.

A lot of our friends are Thai women who own their own businesses or are moderately well off.

It has been my experience in Thailand that women in their early 20’s are comfortable with a man to 35 years of age. Thai women in their 30’s comfortable with a man to 60 years of age. Thai women in their 40’s or 50’s told me age does not matter at all.

The reason I am aware of this is because I get asked a lot if I have any friends from America who would like to meet a Thai woman. I am constantly amazed by the amount of Thai women who don’t like Thai men. Not all certainly but a substantial amount. (For the doubters , no, these are not bar girls. Not even close to bar girls. They are not from Issan. They are just normal working women from Chiang Mai.)

I lived in the South of the US and don’t find the age patterns much different in Thailand than in Arkansas.

Seems to me that both men and women in their first marriage seem to pick partners close to the same age but in following marriages are more flexible. I would attribute this to a learning curve about relationships.

There are obviously a lot of relationships in Thailand which involve 20 year old women and 60 year old men both Thai and foreign. One can also see this in other parts of Asia and Thailand does not have a corner on the market.

I think I can speak for a majority of men 60 and over when I say this does not bother them (except perhaps envy). I think most of them also know that the chances of success for the relationship is small.

There are many precedents for this in Asian culture and religion, Taoism being an example. I have not lived in China for 30 years but I doubt if it has completely done an about face concerning young women and older men.

Perhaps some forget there are many belief systems in Asia that are deep seated and not on the surface but firmly ingrained in Asian culture. Hsuan wei Hshin (Mental Images of the Mysteries and Subtleties of Sexual Techniques') and San Feng Tan Cheueh (Zhang Sanfeng's Instructions in the Physiological Alchemy) just to qutoe a couple.

I doubt if many Thais would think it perversion to see a 60 year old man with a 20 year old woman. They may frown on it but perversion is a very strong word.

I am a member of a group of six men, 50 to 60 who work out together at a local gym and spa. Three Thais, one Japanese, one Italian and me. We are all in semi retired. With the exception of myself they all are involved with 20 year old women. I put this question to them and they all told me no one has a problem with their relationships.

In Thailand my lady is 37 and I am 60. She is not a young looking 37. She is very outgoing and we have many friends of all ages and social status. We don’t get any funny looks or snide comments.

Precisely. The problem comes in when the woman looks like she may be a minor and the man looks old enough to be her father/grandfather. That's where the protective instincts and "pervert" accusations come in.

Half your age if you're 60 or 70 is still clearly an adult woman. If that draws looks it will most likely be quizzical ones, trying to guess the nature of the relationship, but I doubt hostile.

Bear in mind that virtually all women have had first hand, often quite traumatic, experience of older men hitting on them when they were young -- and I mean YOUNG -- girls. It is not pleasant to say the least. And once grown, many of those women have daughters whom they wish to spare such experiences. When they see what may look like an older man with an underage girl, it pushes buttons.

A 30-something with a 60-70 something doesn't. May draw some speculation, but not hostitlity, I don;t think.

Bear in mind that virtually all women have had first hand, often quite traumatic, experience of older men hitting on them when they were young -- and I mean YOUNG -- girls. It is not pleasant to say the least. And once grown, many of those women have daughters whom they wish to spare such experiences. When they see what may look like an older man with an underage girl, it pushes buttons.

Excellent point Sheryl. Something, I think, alot of men may not take into account.

One thing I feel the need to ask regarding kerryk's post, if it such an Asian thing to see a young woman with an older man then how come the only time you ever see such a thing (at least here) is a man with his mia noi? They take them as mistresses but rarely marry them.

And the dislike of Thai men must be a northern thing, or a city thing because where I live the majority of Thai girls and women marry Thai men and have no interest in Farangs.

I'm 46 with a 20 y/o gf. I am a firm believer in having a gf in their early 20s because at that age they are smokin' hot babes. I think all men should have chicks that age regardless of how old they are. It dont get no better than that

Right, thanks for the completely off topic opinion. :o

And the dislike of Thai men must be a northern thing, or a city thing because where I live the majority of Thai girls and women marry Thai men and have no interest in Farangs.

In your case it would your own fella saying "I have no interest in Thai women"... and he'd perhaps only say that if he felt you were insecure enough to need to hear that... which apparently you are not.

:o