Living " in the NOW "

benalibina

negative: lack of planing for the future. Makes the Now a few years later worse than they could be.

Actually, if you look at it from a Psychological point of view, it's nothing to do with financial planning. They are easily separable

• Like 1

Not such a bad concept, normally called "Living in the Moment" , lots of psychology stuff around about it.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/stop-walking-eggshells/201306/living-in-the-moment-decreases-suffering

Useful for a number of people

Link seems interesting, will read it later. Thanks.

You might find some interesting stuff, have a google as I don't want to post loads of links here and bore people to death. Enjoy

• Like 1

The problem is defining exactly what it is we ought to do right NOW.

You could start by looking at your post count.

Have more respect for the value of your time.

Both of you average 2 posts a day.

I could tell you to take your own advice.

• Like 2

The problem is defining exactly what it is we ought to do right NOW.

You could start by looking at your post count.

Have more respect for the value of your time.

You accept of course your point is judgemental. I might for example actually think that the best use of my life is posting on Thaivisa - My NOW my Life.

As it happens, regular members will understand I depart into academia during term time.. back to my books in less than a month now.

My choice of what to do with my NOW.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

Agreed, I like Tolle's work amongst a few others.

tolle is nothing more than watered down buddhism

Well, i just read a few pages of the book suggested by Neeranam, i would say that Tolle's water is quite refreshing.

Thanks again Neeranam wai.gif

• Like 1

Well, i just read a few pages of the book suggested by Neeranam, i would say that Tolle's water is quite refreshing.

You can also get the audio book which I found amazing to listen to when watering my garden and going to sleep. Hos voice is very relaxing.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

its not his water

its not his water

Have you read the book?

years ago. all he has done is take the feel good bits of buddhism, repackaged them, left out the parts that require too much effort , sold them to oprah and made himself rich on a wishy washy philosophy for the masses.

• Like 1

its not his water

Have you read the book?

years ago. all he has done is take the feel good bits of buddhism, repackaged them, left out the parts that require too much effort , sold them to oprah and made himself rich on a wishy washy philosophy for the masses.

I suggest you read it again. I also read it years ago but couldn't understand it until 2 years ago.

its not his water

Have you read the book?

I suggest you read it again. I also read it years ago but couldn't understand it until 2 years ago.

unlike you, I understood exactly what he was saying and doing (making himself rich). and it wasnt anything that others hadnt said over and over and much better.

Only get to spend each second...minute.....hour once....best to make it well spent and memorable....

So if a 'now' moment is memorable, that future moment spent remembering will not be spent in the 'now'?

Yes you'll be in the now remembering the moment that was in the now.

• Like 2

negative: lack of planing for the future. Makes the Now a few years later worse than they could be.

Agree.

Furthermore, it has been found that there are two types of people; "In time" people who "live in the now" and "out of time" people who are always looking ahead.

In time people are always late to meetings or events, always miss deadlines, and probably sleep well.

Out of time people are the opposite, but probably have better both short and long term future prospects.

You'll probably find that the underlying message/question of the OP is moot, ie we can not decide to live "in the now" or not...we are who we are; in time or out of time.

Which is better? There's pros and cons for both.

Edited by Seastallion