Why so many Arabs on Sukhumvit?

thaibeachlovers

arabs have been a growing market here for 10 years. Bumrungrad is certainly and anchor business as well as the dental costs in thailand. Also the price of electronics and other shopping are a big draw.

i suspect it has more to do with the fact that the OP is a stranger to the mahanakorn than the fact that the arabs have come out of nowhere.

mahanakorn is in Silom area. What relevance to Suk?

I've only been going to Suk Soi 4 area for over 20 years, so what do I know?

Clearly not much. Makarnakorn more broadly refers to the metropolis of Bangkok. ie krungthep maharnakorn.

Never heard it referred to as such in over 20 years. Perhaps you could give some evidence, as in a photo of a sign saying that ( but you won't of course ).

That's slightly strange as Krungthep Mahanakorn is the Thai name for Bangkok. It's used on news broadcasts on TV every day.

• Like 1

Never heard it referred to as such in over 20 years. Perhaps you could give some evidence, as in a photo of a sign saying that ( but you won't of course ).

Just to humour you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok

The Bangkok Metropolitan Authority has the full name on its logo. You see these all over town.

13466876-1s.jpg

Every time you send a letter to Bangkok, or write an address you write the province of Bangkok by the initals

ก.ท.ม (Kor Tor Mor)

short for:

รุง Krung Thep หานคร Mahanakorn

(I'm sure cause you've been here so long, that litle translation was unnecessary for you, but I did it for the benefit of other who have less time on the ground than your 20 years...)

BMA's own website...

http://www.bangkok.go.th/th/main/

• Like 1

Just to humour you:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Authority has the full name on its logo. You see these all over town.

13466876-1s.jpg

Every time you send a letter to Bangkok, or write an address you write the province of Bangkok by the initals ก.ท.ม (Kor Tor Mor)

short for: รุง Krung Thep หานคร Mahanakorn

(I'm sure cause you've been here so long, that litle translation was unnecessary for you, but I did it for the benefit of other who have less time on the ground than your 20 years...)

BMA's own website...

25yrs plus Thailand, never heard of this.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Clearly not much. Makarnakorn more broadly refers to the metropolis of Bangkok. ie krungthep maharnakorn.

That's slightly strange as Krungthep Mahanakorn is the Thai name for Bangkok. It's used on news broadcasts on TV every day.

Fair enough. I was wrong about that.

My excuse is that I don't watch Thai language news on tv.

I did check it on google and it only came up with the Silom reference.

Post deleted to allow posting.

• Confused 1

Just to humour you:

13466876-1s.jpg

Every time you send a letter to Bangkok, or write an address you write the province of Bangkok by the initals

ก.ท.ม (Kor Tor Mor)

short for:

BMA's own website...

OK, I admit I was wrong about that.

<I'm sure cause you've been here so long, that litle translation was unnecessary for you>

Sarcasm is unnecessary. I never bothered to learn more than bar Thai as too old to learn more ( lucky to remember what happened last week, never mind a new language ).

However, now you've had your fun with the old "diversion" trick, perhaps you could answer the question- why ARE there so many Arabs on Sukhumvit?

Just to humour you:

13466876-1s.jpg

ก.ท.ม (Kor Tor Mor)

short for:

BMA's own website...

<I'm sure cause you've been here so long, that litle translation was unnecessary for you>

Sarcasm is unnecessary. I never bothered to learn more than bar Thai as too old to learn more ( lucky to remember what happened last week, never mind a new language ).

However, now you've had your fun with the old "diversion" trick, perhaps you could answer the question- why ARE there so many Arabs on Sukhumvit?

No diversion.

Go back and read my first response to this thread.

• Like 1

Just to humour you:

13466876-1s.jpg

ก.ท.ม (Kor Tor Mor)

short for:

BMA's own website...

No diversion.

they are all here for medicinal purposes - some at Bumrungrad, some on the other side of Sukhumvit?

Just to humour you:

13466876-1s.jpg

ก.ท.ม (Kor Tor Mor)

short for:

BMA's own website...

No diversion.

they are all here for medicinal purposes - some at Bumrungrad, some on the other side of Sukhumvit?

Sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks.

It's summer. Temperatures there are probably in the mid 40's, so they like to get out of town to somewhere cooler. Even BKK at 30 degrees is cool to them.

They are also in London. You can see them driving around in their Bugatti Veyrons, McLarens, and Gold plated Range Rovers which they ship over by air for the summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2725175/First-cargo-watch-car-Arab-playboys-super-wheels-streets-London-never-mind-trifling-20-000-fly-vehicles-back.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Money can't buy class: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2715538/London-tourist-flies-latest-holiday-accessory-Gold-Range-Rover-worth-150-000-666-number-plate.html

Yes, but they must have gone somewhere else 10 years ago. Why here now?

The Arabs have been in that part of the farang enclave for longer and before the first farang started appearing.

Grace Hotel was there many moons before Nana Plaza ever apperared.

What about other enclaves such as the farang cess pit that is SC, or the Japanese places with signs outside saying Japanese only, or the Thai areas.

Wind of change blowing, can only be for the good.

"The Arabs have been in that part of the farang enclave for longer and before the first farang started appearing"

I disagree with this statement. I first came to Thailand to work in 1967 and quite familiar with the lower Sukhumvit area as a couple of our company offices were in that area. Arabs didn't start to appear in that area for many years later.

You are of course correct.

For some strange reason I was thinking to myself of nightlife activites, hence the ref to GH and NEP.

The Arabs have been using Foodland on soi 5 for at least the last 20+ years.

Sois, 3, 3/1 and 5 have for years had an Arab presence.

Yes, but they must have gone somewhere else 10 years ago. Why here now?

The Arabs have been in that part of the farang enclave for longer and before the first farang started appearing.

Grace Hotel was there many moons before Nana Plaza ever apperared.

What about other enclaves such as the farang cess pit that is SC, or the Japanese places with signs outside saying Japanese only, or the Thai areas.

Wind of change blowing, can only be for the good.

"The Arabs have been in that part of the farang enclave for longer and before the first farang started appearing"

I disagree with this statement. I first came to Thailand to work in 1967 and quite familiar with the lower Sukhumvit area as a couple of our company offices were in that area. Arabs didn't start to appear in that area for many years later.

You are of course correct.

For some strange reason I was thinking to myself of nightlife activites, hence the ref to GH and NEP.

The Arabs have been using Foodland on soi 5 for at least the last 20+ years.

Sois, 3, 3/1 and 5 have for years had an Arab presence.

<The Arabs have been using Foodland on soi 5 for at least the last 20+ years.>

Correct. I have seen them in there myself.

The question wasn't about whether Arabs have been using TLD for 20 years though. The question is about why there are so many more now than in the past, and that is a recent occurance.

<The Arabs have been using Foodland on soi 5 for at least the last 20+ years.>

Correct. I have seen them in there myself.

The question wasn't about whether Arabs have been using TLD for 20 years though. The question is about why there are so many more now than in the past, and that is a recent occurance.

Check out Bumrungrads shareprice in the past half decade.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=BUHPF+Interactive#symbol=BUHPF;range=5y

My GF works in MBK and I do see bus loads of Arab Tourists been dropped of like a herd of sheep to get lost in the maze of shops for a few hours, My friend who lives in Saudi was saying Arabs love to shop and eat so I think this is a big attraction for them to visit Bangkok, also he made the more oblivious point that there here for the x as they can get it in there country.

Also a lot of Arab come to Bangkok for medical treatment at the International hospitals in Bangkok.

I am sure the tourist board of Thailand are marketing in the Arab counties as most of them are big spenders.

My GF works in MBK and I do see bus loads of Arab Tourists been dropped of like a herd of sheep to get lost in the maze of shops for a few hours, My friend who lives in Saudi was saying Arabs love to shop and eat so I think this is a big attraction for them to visit Bangkok, also he made the more oblivious point that there here for the x as they can get it in there country.

Also a lot of Arab come to Bangkok for medical treatment at the International hospitals in Bangkok.

I am sure the tourist board of Thailand are marketing in the Arab counties as most of them are big spenders.

There's excellent health care in this part of the world and local Arabs won't have to pay in their own countries

They can get laid in Saudi, trust me but there's prying eyes and too much hassle so much easier to go to Asia or even come over here to Dubai

Arabs have always loved visiting Thailand. I think Saudis are banned though. I was talking to a Saudi guy the other day, said he was on his way to Thailand but from Dubai as not allowed from Saudi. Over this whole 'gold' thing. I know they don't have Thais in Saudi but didn't know it extended to them not visiting. Apparently so, that is what he said. He said they apply for a new passport when they get back

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That Took Lai Dee restaurant is cheap as chips. OP's taking the piss

If he can't afford it, he can go elsewhere.

No point blaming the Arabs; the price increases are down to the cost of foodstuffs, inflation and the national minimum wage.

This isn't his personal time warp where prices never go up.

BS. The cost of a meal up north hasn't gone up 25 % in a year. In Bkk, off Sukhumvit and other high density tourist areas, meal prices are little changed from 10 years ago.

Your first point, maybe not but rents in Sukhumvit in general have gone up by that amount if not more

Your second point, meal prices may not have changed but either portion sizes will have decreased and/or ingredient quality will have dropped

Tell me you're not this clueless.

Tell me that you don't expect prices to stagnate just for you

• Haha 1

For the same reason there are a lot more Caucasians here - tourist/expat numbers have increased over a decade ago.

Are you prejudiced towards them?

You do realise that this isn't the white man's playground any more, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

arabs have been a growing market here for 10 years. Bumrungrad is certainly and anchor business as well as the dental costs in thailand. Also the price of electronics and other shopping are a big draw.

i suspect it has more to do with the fact that the OP is a stranger to the mahanakorn than the fact that the arabs have come out of nowhere.

Mahanakorn quite literally means means large city or capital city -- so what do you know? apparently very little.

i admit to living in the area for pretty much as long as you have been visiting, and the arabs are certainly not a recent occurrence.

you seemed to have picked up very little local knowledge during your visits.

Are you being deliberatly obtuse? I never said the Arabs are a recent occurance. What I said, if you took the time to read what I wrote, is why are there so many now? It's in big letters in the title of the thread if you don't know where to look.

And you seem to have picked up little ability to comprehend the written word in your lifetime.

Do you argue with a lamp post when there is nobody else around?

There are plenty of Arabs coming to Thailand, it's not exactly a long flight. Bangkok for certain has plenty , because several of the large hospitals, in particualry Bumrungrad market very heavily in the Middle East. That area between 1 and 5 has always had a large Arab presence since I can remember.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That Took Lai Dee restaurant is cheap as chips. OP's taking the piss

If he can't afford it, he can go elsewhere.

No point blaming the Arabs; the price increases are down to the cost of foodstuffs, inflation and the national minimum wage.

This isn't his personal time warp where prices never go up.

BS. The cost of a meal up north hasn't gone up 25 % in a year. In Bkk, off Sukhumvit and other high density tourist areas, meal prices are little changed from 10 years ago.

Your first point, maybe not but rents in Sukhumvit in general have gone up by that amount if not more

Your second point, meal prices may not have changed but either portion sizes will have decreased and/or ingredient quality will have dropped

Tell me you're not this clueless.

Tell me that you don't expect prices to stagnate just for you

< either portion sizes will have decreased and/or ingredient quality will have dropped>

LOL. I can get a BIG box of fried rice pork, enough for 4 meals, for 60 baht. Whether the quality has gone down I don't know, but tastes the same as 10 years ago.

In the local Big C foodcourt a rice/ meat meal is 30 to 40 baht- in 1992 the same meal cost 25 baht in Bkk- hardly a huge increase in one year.

You are saying rents on Suk have gone up 25% in ONE year, yet room prices in the hotel I use have only gone up 10% in 3 years

There are plenty of Arabs coming to Thailand, it's not exactly a long flight. Bangkok for certain has plenty , because several of the large hospitals, in particualry Bumrungrad market very heavily in the Middle East. That area between 1 and 5 has always had a large Arab presence since I can remember.

They were mainly on 1 ( The Grace ) and 3. Few ventured onto 5. I never saw a burqua in Foodlands till this visit ( I'm not saying they never went there- just not when I was, and I ate there all the time ).

For the same reason there are a lot more Caucasians here - tourist/expat numbers have increased over a decade ago.

Are you prejudiced towards them?

You do realise that this isn't the white man's playground any more, right?

Always someone going to inject racism into the mix w00t.gif .

You will not find a single racist word written by me on this thread.

• Sad 1

The Arabs and the Africans and others, contribute to that great melting pot that is lower Sukhumvit. Thailand generally is a very homogeneous country and its nice to be transported to a multi-racial area every once in a while.

The last time I took the short cut from Soi 3 to Soi 5 (2009), I walked through a bunch of Africans and was aggressively asked why a skinhead (hair is very short and I had a shirt, pants and dress shoes on) was walking though their street (I thought this dipshit thinks I am a neo nazi).

But It felt like I was outside a stadium at a football match in England back in the 1980s. It was not a nice atmosphere and I was preparing myself for something bad to happen.

Luckily, a taxi driver had an altercation with one of them seconds later, he got out of his taxi with a bat and they were shouting at each other. I walked off.

I haven't walked down there since.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
On 8/15/2014 at 11:29 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Up till the last time I visited Bkk, Arabs mostly confined themselves to the Soi 3 area, but now they are everywhere on Suk. The prices have gone up astronomically, so I can only assume they are paying whatever ridiculous price is asked eg, in Took Lai Dee, prices have gone up to stupid levels and it's no longer a good place to get a reasonably priced meal.

They are also all over MBK and the prices there have also gone up to stupid levels in the foodcourt,

I figure something must have happened in their own countries to cause such an invasion in Thailand, but can anyone tell me what?

Also Thailand domestic violence laws are lax. Allowing the Arab men to carry on behaviour that is acceptable in their home country. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Thais, Yanks, Arabs, Indians, Chinese, Russians ... do AN members like any other nationality or race beside their own; UK or AU vocal members dominating AN.

Really getting hard reading AN of late.

• Like 1