Protecting against vermin when storing a car

mike44

How should we protect our car against rats and other vermin when storing it outside, but under cover, for two or three months?

We have recently returned to Thailand to find wiring in the car had been attacked by, we presume, rats.  The local garage recommends spraying the engine compartment with some strong smelling pesticide.  Has anyone suggestions for the right type of pesticide or any other ideas?.   

Ideally you should jack it up on to axle stands and remove the wheels, then cover it with a good quality car cover.

You could put rat poison on and around the axle stands as an added deterrent. 

How would putting the car on axle stands help the vermin issue and why remove the wheels?

Isn't rat poison intended to attract vermin so that they eat it and die later?

I'd go with mothballs, but not sure it will work on vermin.  Can't hurt- and you get used to the smell pretty quickly when you fire the beast back up.

I use the large mothballs in a tray. My bike is completely covered to the floor, so a nice fume barrier builds up inside. Also if you want to keep cats off the top of the cover, sprinkle pepper on the sides & top, they'll sniff the once and never come back.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

What you need is a car bubble.  Seriously!

1) Wouldn't last a week in the Thai sun

2) They'd hold in the high humidity and cause mold, mildew and other nasties to flourish

3) Rats would chew through in a few seconds if they smelled anything on the other side- odors permeate right through the plastic

I'd never hermetically seal anything that big unless it was properly prepared and then kept in a cool, dry and environmentally controlled place.

They look cool, and I'd consider one for my '68 Shelby AC Cobra back in my garage at home.  If I had a '68 Cobra.  Or a garage back home.

Well Impulse there is the tougher outdoors model if you want to park out in the open.

The Car Capsule people are pretty sure the product is tough enough to keep out vermin and by using a strong fan eliminate problems with odours and mildew.

[attachment=279651:CropperCapture36.jpg][attachment=279652:CropperCapture37.jpg]

Edited by BSJ