15 days on current visa before I can get an ED visa?

I am registered to be a grad student at PSU in Hat Yai. My tourist visa expires on Tuesday the 19th. I've got the letter from the university that I'll need to submit when I  apply for the visa change from tourist to ED. But a friend just told me that he thinks I need at least 15 days on my current visa before I can apply for the ED visa. Is this the case? I'm going to Chaeng Wattana to do the visa switch from tourist to ED. The letter from the university is addressed to immigration in BKK. Thanks much. 

Bangkok immigration requires 15 days reaming on your entry to do a change of visa status.

Have you done the 30 day extension yet for your 60 day entry? If not you could apply for and get the extension on the same date you apply for the change.

Thanks. Yes I have had the 30 day extension on my tourist visa. So, my 90 days is up on Tuesday. Should I just exit and head south to Penang? Does Penang even do the ED visa? Will I have to go to KL? If I will have to go to Malaysia, I'll have to have the university type me up a new letter as this one is addressed to immigration in BKK. 

Thankso mucho. 

Hi,

I can confirm that you need 15 days before your visa expire.

The best that you can do is extend your tourist visa avoiding 'visa runs' that now are banned

later you will need to do all the paper with the help of your school no way that you can do alone since your school or university need to fill many fields too, they will send all the papers to the Education government (don't remember the name) and 15 days later approx they will get an ED sticker that is not a visa, but you need to go out Thailand with that in your passport and all the papers and later in a embassy of Thailand show all the papers with your passport with the ED sticker where you will get the ED visa stamp for 90 days. (that is my school owner told me)

That is the reason that you need to do a extension of your tourist visa first.

Edited by ITGabs

Thanks. Yes I have had the 30 day extension on my tourist visa. So, my 90 days is up on Tuesday. Should I just exit and head south to Penang? Does Penang even do the ED visa? Will I have to go to KL? If I will have to go to Malaysia, I'll have to have the university type me up a new letter as this one is addressed to immigration in BKK. 

Thankso mucho. 

Yes you can do the ED visa in Penang. That is certainly your best option.

KL is not recommended for ED visas.

Thankso mucho. 

But he can't get another extension "yes I have had the 30 day extension on my tourist visa. So, my 90 days is up on Tuesday"

If he goes to Penang how can he get all the paper from the school and the ED stickers and papers from Thailand Education? can be done outside?

Thankso mucho. 

But he can't get another extension "yes I have had the 30 day extension on my tourist visa. So, my 90 days is up on Tuesday"

If he goes to Penang how can he get all the paper from the school and the ED stickers and papers from Thailand Education? can be done outside?

It should not be a problem for the school ot change their letter requesting the visa from Penang. I suspect they will know what is needed.

Not sure what mean by the stickers and such.

He will be getting a non-ed visa that will give a 90 day entry that he can then extend for up to one year.

the ED sticker is that paper that 'they' will put into your passport, but without a visa (They show me that in the school) with that ED sticker in your passport and all the papers you will get a 90 day ED visa in some embassy, my school told me that i need to go penang with all that already in my passport, probably is a school rule to avoid conflicts and not general to all.

later you will need to do all the paper with the help of your school no way that you can do alone since your school or university need to fill many fields too, they will send all the papers to the Education government (don't remember the name) and 15 days later approx they will get an ED sticker that is not a visa, but you need to go out Thailand with that in your passport and all the papers and later in a embassy of Thailand show all the papers with your passport with the ED sticker where you will get the ED visa stamp for 90 days. (that is my school owner told me)

That is the reason that you need to do a extension of your tourist visa first.

"all the papers"

Only paperwork needed from my university is the letter that they already typed up. 

The sticker you refer to ... sort of seems like the visa itself. 

i think I'll head south. 

Thanks guys.