Foreign Tourists Complain About Pattaya Traffic Police

Rimmer

they stopped me there the other day, I had to wait 15 minutes while the police man tried to convince me that I wasnt wearing a helmet, I couldnt figure out if the guy was seriously nuts or if he was trying to provoke violence, there wasnt much I could do but point at the helmet on my head and say its a helmet, anyway it was strange but he eventually had to let me go

Should've told him you weren't on a bike...maybe he hadn't seen your bike too.

Well, I have to defend the Thai police on this one. Number I lived and worked in the Middle East for 9 years and they are nice people however; when they don't get it their way they can be very defensive. Let's start with: THEY DO NOT DRIVE MOTORBIKES IN THE M.E.( NO EXPERIENCE), AND THEY DRIVE ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE ROAD AS AMERICANS. that being said they drink here which is not new to them as we had make our own alcohol there and they like booze too. Not knowing road rules, no experience and they drive as wild as a normal Thai does here, wrong direction aganist traffic, speeding, no helmet, lights, license etc... I'm sure these indivuals had more than 1 problem with the Thai police in Pattaya which their fines equaled the crime, especially since they had to pay at the station. If the police wanted to shake them down they would have taken the fine money on the street into their pockets.

• Like 1

they stopped me there the other day, I had to wait 15 minutes while the police man tried to convince me that I wasnt wearing a helmet, I couldnt figure out if the guy was seriously nuts or if he was trying to provoke violence, there wasnt much I could do but point at the helmet on my head and say its a helmet, anyway it was strange but he eventually had to let me go

Beware......next time you'll have square wheels!! clap2.gif

I got pulled over in pattaya I did not know why

I had license and helmet

They just gave me a ticket and I had to pay

I showed the ticket to my wife and she laughed

I asked why

She said the section where it says what I am charged with was left blank

So for real I paid a fine for doing nothing ha ha

You paid a fine for driving-while-farang (DWF), which does not have a valid infraction identifier ... yet.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

did they drive the motosay with there kinda dress they wear ? very dangerous to be cought in the wheel or chain... should thank the police for this

and the teatowel on the head, is no substitute for a helmet

I think most tourists who own or ride bikes are suspicious about Pattaya Traffic Police. First of all, they are rude and second , very difficult to communicate with. Last year, they caught me twice, one time on Beach Rd. and asked me for licence. I have been visiting for years and never have I heard that riding a bike in Pattaya required a licence. I paid 500 Bht for that. The second time, in front of Tops Supermarket and exactly near the Police Box. They charged me another 500 Bht for crossing the pedestrian line. I tried to explain to the Policeman that the pedestrian line has already been washed away and is not visible but he took my key and asked me to go to the station and pay 500 Bht.

These acts will certainly make the tourists suspicious of Pattaya Traffic Police.

I think it is incumbent upon us, to give the police a very, very hard time, when we perceive an injustice like this taking place. Argue until you are blue in the face. Ask to speak to their superior, or to visit the station to speak with the captain. The really crooked ones will not like this. Often they will just give up. Always insist on a paid receipt when they ask for a "fine". Be polite, and respectful, but question them wholeheartedly, and with vigor.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think most tourists who own or ride bikes are suspicious about Pattaya Traffic Police. First of all, they are rude and second , very difficult to communicate with. Last year, they caught me twice, one time on Beach Rd. and asked me for licence. I have been visiting for years and never have I heard that riding a bike in Pattaya required a licence. I paid 500 Bht for that. The second time, in front of Tops Supermarket and exactly near the Police Box. They charged me another 500 Bht for crossing the pedestrian line. I tried to explain to the Policeman that the pedestrian line has already been washed away and is not visible but he took my key and asked me to go to the station and pay 500 Bht.

These acts will certainly make the tourists suspicious of Pattaya Traffic Police.

" I have been visiting for years and never have I heard that riding a bike in Pattaya required a licence"

You actually appeared to be serious when writing that in the above. Why would you think you wouldn't need a licence in Pattaya?

We are talking motorbikes and not push bikes here aren't we?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" I have been visiting for years and never have I heard that riding a bike in Pattaya required a licence"

You actually appeared to be serious when writing that in the above. Why would you think you wouldn't need a licence in Pattaya?

We are talking motorbikes and not push bikes here aren't we?

cheesy.gif

Of course you need a license either one of your home country for motorbikes and or a Thai one.

Chris like you I did not know if the guy was serious.

This is exactly the problem. If you don't have a license you shouldn't drive at all and the fine should be 5000 Baht. I wonder how much would you pay in your home country if you drive without a license.

This is exactly the problem. If you don't have a license you shouldn't drive at all and the fine should be 5000 Baht. I wonder how much would you pay in your home country if you drive without a license.

lots of people rent bikes and the rental shops likely advice them that the license they have is legal