How does the Ark Bar in Samui get away with playing their music so loud?

Also, the few times I've been there, I've seen Burmese children running around selling trinkets, garlands, or performing cute dance moves for money. Some of the girls, 5 year old or so, are kinda scantily clad...

Those children definitely should not be running around there in the middle of night and WORKING like this.

All day long, guests from neighbouring hotels + ou - close to Ark Bar have to enjoy the music when sunbathing on the beach.... curious to read tripadvisor feedbacks (if there are any) on this subject .

Also, the few times I've been there, I've seen Burmese children running around selling trinkets, garlands, or performing cute dance moves for money. Some of the girls, 5 year old or so, are kinda scantily clad...

Those children definitely should not be running around there in the middle of night and WORKING like this.

They're EVERYWHERE, certainly not restricted to the Ark Bar whatsoever. You can sit at The Islander and along they come, i've been sitting at a few restaurants both on the beach and on the main Chaweng Beach Road with my g/f and our little one when in Samui and along they come exactly as you describe so for me that's a whole other topic.

As for the noise, it never ever bothers us at all. We never go to The Ark Bar as it's not quite the place for a 7yr old but do walk by it. The three of us never even think it was ever worth a mention no matter what we have been doing. Maybe the 3 of us are deaf, 44yr old, 31yr old and 7yr old, :-) Even when we have on occasion stayed fairly nearby we have always managed to sleep and not been bothered by it.

Guess everyone's different so each to their own.

• Like 2

windows were shaking 5KLM away?????? come on lol

Absolute correct. The music travels over the water, and the bass is very loud and powerful. Why would I be making this up? I have seen this in multiple locations. At the Saraan hotel, at Sandalwood Villas, and at Vikasa, and the Best Western. This is no joke. These people are horrible creators of noise pollution.

Have to admit the op is correct the music coming from this bar is ridicules I live in high in the jungle in Maenam which is miles away and if the wind is blowing in the right direction you can hear it. Think it's a case of pay up or shut up for the owner who owns a very very expensive car money appears to be no object

They get away with it...because no one files a formal complaint...so quit complaining...go to the local police...and be sure and let the bar know you are the one who turned them in to the police...then report back to Thaivisa forum how that goes for you...

• Like 1

THIS IS THAILAND. THIS IS ASIA. Noise pollution, air pollution, water pollution, garbage disposal everywhere, even right next to 5-star hotels.

Asians couldn't care less... many Caucasians as well.

Nikki Beach Resort on Samui so noisy, even the Thai staff is complaining. But life must be a party 24/7/365.

I moved away from Samui because of noise and crazy traffic. Where i am now it is much better but still too noisy for my taste.

In a couple of years it might be same same.

I feel the same as Spidermike.

• Like 2

They get away with it...because no one files a formal complaint...so quit complaining...go to the local police...and be sure and let the bar know you are the one who turned them in to the police...then report back to Thaivisa forum how that goes for you...

Yes, I will be sure to send the bar a signed affidavit, with all of my contact information, including the location of all of my close family members. Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

• Like 2

Have to admit the op is correct the music coming from this bar is ridicules I live in high in the jungle in Maenam which is miles away and if the wind is blowing in the right direction you can hear it. Think it's a case of pay up or shut up for the owner who owns a very very expensive car money appears to be no object

Don't think – what you hear at Maenam with the "right" wind direction is parties at Koh Phangan, not Full Moon, but some of the others, especially Black Moon is sometimes very loud in Maenam...

The music was not as loud as you say everytime I was there, so not sure what you are talking about.

Don't be jealous, some people are rich enough to do anything they want anywhere in the world and you won't be able to change anything.

The only risk for you is to be more and more grumpy.

Edited by thairastawoman
  • Like 2

windows were shaking 5KLM away?????? come on lol

Absolute correct. The music travels over the water, and the bass is very loud and powerful. Why would I be making this up? I have seen this in multiple locations. At the Saraan hotel, at Sandalwood Villas, and at Vikasa, and the Best Western. This is no joke. These people are horrible creators of noise pollution.

not saying the music isnt loud and i dont think your making it up , just think your so angry that you might be exaggerating a bit

I was at Tattershall lakes in Lincs, one night some people were having a party in their lodge way up the top end of the lake, probably the best part of 2 miles from where we were. I couldn't see a thing but it was as if they had their music system in my lodge!! So I can believe his story

First of all, I can confirm that music from Ark Bar can clearly be heard in the hills of Chaweng Noi. It is so loud that one can clearly hear the base, and even which songs are being played, but no windows are shaking as far as I know, and it usually stops around 2 am.

What I wonder about the most is why it has to be that loud? I like to go to ark bar, and have been there many times, with numerous friends, including groups of young party guys (and girls) on holiday, and the one thing that is almost always a problem, is to find a place to sit where the music is not too loud, which is really difficult, as the speakers are everywhere. This is a problem both during the day and during the evening/night.

Ark bar is not much of a dance place, but more of a place where people sit in groups, party and talk together, which is sadly made difficult by the loud music.

In other words the music is so loud that it even bothers Ark Bar's own customers - go figure!

My best guess is that the "world famous" DJs really like to hear themselves, and that they are the ones in control of the volume.

• Like 1

Thanks for the topic and the feedback as I expected is always against

the OP. Suggest calling 1111 hotline and pressing the number for English and

give them the problem.

There might be some hope ? I did it in Bkk where some unnamed Restaurant In Sukhumvit plays

loud live music and when I wrote about it here the feedback was painful that I should move

etc etc. Someone writes about their painful experience and hoping to get some positive

feedback and they get torn apart.

One last thing when I moved here I started working out at Truefitness Asoke.

I could not go to step or classes since they blasted the music and it was painful and the

step classes and aerobic instructors did not know what they were doing and really did not care if

the class were able to follow along. I gave my tapes of a top notch Step class in NYC.

Everyone in those NYC classes got a good workout and had allot of fun.

The head of the Instructors said thanks but no thanks we do it our way here TIT.

End of classes for me. As for the Restaurant that played loud music every night, they were nice,

the police came and had equipment to see how loud it was, that day the Restaurant was tipped off

and it was low music.

They set appointment to meet with the owners and they were very nice and gave me their number to

notify them if it gets out of hand.

I said I understand the situation at the end of the night the band is pretty drunk and they build up to a crescendo and

it is disturbing but most of the time if I do hear it really loud and disturbing I will sms her and she calls the

Restaurant and they lower it so the problem was handled by the 1111 hotline and the understanding of the Owner.

I wish you luck in trying to get your problem handled. At least you can try and don't take abuse from

these that are callous and not interested in helping.

I really think change in Thailand is coming but it takes people willing to take a stand and speak up

without fear of reprisal.

Cheers

• Like 1

We had a previous manager join Thaivisa & assured all concerned that it wasn't them.laugh.png

Yes, I have spoken to two different managers, over the years, and they always say the same thing. It is not us. Had one manager come to listen, and when he heard the same music being played by the DJ over there, there was just a shocked look on his face. Oh, we did not know. We will take care of it. Did anything change? Of course not. Too much money at stake. The owner needs a second or third Lamborghini.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, I will be sure to send the bar a signed affidavit, with all of my contact information, including the location of all of my close family members. Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

Thanks for the laugh...good sense of humor...

spidermike, I'm sure maybe on the odd occasion you can hear the music slightly but to say that you can hear it very load and that windows are shaking in nearby hotels or your house or lamai beach is a total over exaggeration and is quite laughable..

You must be showing your age, maybe it's about time you moved to a 'quieter' location or even get your own island and let the rest of the people enjoy themselves.

I live in maenam now and have never heard any music from nearby hotels and bars never mind from chaweng. Also I have stayed at ark bar and nearby hotels on chaweng beach (sans souci) and again 'surprisingly' I can not hear it there either..

Do you really think that all the noise is just coming from arkbar??? You must be deluded! Think of all the other party's and discos that are going on a round chaweng e.g green mango, cha cha moon, sound club........

On the times that I have stayed at ark bar though I have found the staff very polite, almost too polite on occasions and I have heard it is not just owned by the European guy it's also owned by a few Thai business men aswell.

Maybe it's a jealousy thing with you or it seems that way at least.. Perhaps you should go down to the ark and meet the staff before you start complaining as they are very nice people really.. I think it's unfair that you called them not good citizens..

I go down there quite a lot especially for the beach party on Wednesdays and Fridays and me and my friends really really enjoy it along with the other happy tourists that attend.

Seems crazy that all these people can enjoy themselves and one person alone complains..

After all Chaweng is one big party and Koh Samui is a holiday island..

spidermike, I'm sure maybe on the odd occasion you can hear the music slightly but to say that you can hear it very load and that windows are shaking in nearby hotels or your house or lamai beach is a total over exaggeration and is quite laughable..

You must be showing your age, maybe it's about time you moved to a 'quieter' location or even get your own island and let the rest of the people enjoy themselves.

I live in maenam now and have never heard any music from nearby hotels and bars never mind from chaweng. Also I have stayed at ark bar and nearby hotels on chaweng beach (sans souci) and again 'surprisingly' I can not hear it there either..

Do you really think that all the noise is just coming from arkbar??? You must be deluded! Think of all the other party's and discos that are going on a round chaweng e.g green mango, cha cha moon, sound club........

On the times that I have stayed at ark bar though I have found the staff very polite, almost too polite on occasions and I have heard it is not just owned by the European guy it's also owned by a few Thai business men aswell.

Maybe it's a jealousy thing with you or it seems that way at least.. Perhaps you should go down to the ark and meet the staff before you start complaining as they are very nice people really.. I think it's unfair that you called them not good citizens..

I go down there quite a lot especially for the beach party on Wednesdays and Fridays and me and my friends really really enjoy it along with the other happy tourists that attend.

Seems crazy that all these people can enjoy themselves and one person alone complains..

After all Chaweng is one big party and Koh Samui is a holiday island..

Go back to Ibiza.....