180 Baht Charges for ATM.

If you are an American, Charles Schwab Bank in the US does not charge a fee for using a foreign ATM AND they refund any fees that a foreign ATM charges--with NO LIMIT. It works at every bank I've ever tried except for one in mainland China. No monthly fees associated with the account, and they have the best 24 hour customer service in the industry. They never route calls to the Philippines or India and the person that answers can always answer your questions. If you receive a check, you can photograph it and it is deposited into your account. Of all of the businesses I deal with, Schwab is probably the one with which I am most pleased. I like them so much, I actually seek out cheaper ATMs to keep their costs down. LOL!

TMB takes "only" 150 ฿ when using your MasterCard. A plus is that you can get up to 30,000 ฿ per transaction.

This thread is recounting somewhat old news....

The various Thai banks began moving toward the 180 baht charge for non-Thai MasterCard logo card ATM withdrawals many months ago, and most of them now charge that higher fee on MCs.

Initially, most of the banks still were charging 150 baht per withdrawal for VISA cards, though apparently some have begun charging the higher 180 baht fee against VISA cards as well, although I don't think that is the majority as yet.

Last time I checked, TMB ATMs were still charging only 150 baht per VISA card withdrawal and also allowing maximum 30,000 baht withdrawals. Last time I checked, AEON also was still charging 150 baht for VISA card withdrawals, though their maximum was reduced to 20,000 per withdrawal.

• Like 1

In 10 years have never used a foreign credit card or debit card here; transaction fees too high and exchange rate is usually lousy too. Surprised to see how many posters seem to regularly do this. In today's low interest rate environment, have to manage those nasty transaction fees better.

It all depends on what card you're using, and how you're using it.

As noted earlier in this thread, there are various bank ATM/debit cards that charge no foreign currency conversion fee and also reimburse other banks' ATM charges. If you're using one of those cards, you're getting as good a rate on converting your funds as is possible, and better than any available kind of international funds transfer.

On the other hand, there are also bank ATM/debit cards that charge a 3% or higher foreign currency fee, may also charge a flat fee for using any ATM other than their own network, and then don't reimburse any fees charged by the Thai bank ATMs. If you're using one of those cards to withdraw funds in Thailand, you're making a pretty poor financial decision and perhaps it's time to look for a better banking deal.

The point is, depending on the home bank card being used, it's perfectly possible to use ATM card cash withdrawals as one's primary source of accessing foreign funds -- provided you have a card with good terms for foreign use.

It is not new at all. It changed back in the beggining of 2013. And I guess the rule is VISA 150 THB and MasterCard 180 THB at any Thai bank's ATM. On top of that your issuing bank can charge you even additional fee. It depends on the bank. I am using here cards of two different banks in europe and one is charging just this Thai fee and the other one is adding additional approx. 1%. The only exception is the AEON is cheaper but it used to be free.

I believe he's referring to Schwab bank accounts which do refund fees, but they're only available for Americans - http://thepointsguy.com/2014/02/the-top-11-checking-accounts-for-avoiding-foreign-atm-fees/

That link references Citibank ATMs having no fee which used to be the case (e.g. by the Asoke interchange in Bangkok) but not anymore I've heard.

I have a debit card account with Citibank from Australia. I've used the Citibank ATM at Asoke Interchange multiple times over the last week, all withdrawls fee free for both Thailand and from Aus. It's a great option if you can get it. Of course needing to get cash out away from Citibank is going to cost.

Edit: Their exchange rate is pretty much on par with all the others, in fact it was better than the SCB cash exchange I did 1 day.

Edited by Absolut

I believe he's referring to Schwab bank accounts which do refund fees, but they're only available for Americans - http://thepointsguy.com/2014/02/the-top-11-checking-accounts-for-avoiding-foreign-atm-fees/

That link references Citibank ATMs having no fee which used to be the case (e.g. by the Asoke interchange in Bangkok) but not anymore I've heard.

I also use Schwab bank and enjoy the ATM fee refund and free debit transactions- I pull money from Bangkok bank ATMs, UP to 25,000 per day, pay the 150 fee, then I get it back at the end of the month.

Edited by JimMagee

Other Aussies here have also reported being able to use their Citibank Australia card at Citibank ATMs in Thailand without any fees.

Unfortunately, that same benefit doesn't apply to Citi cards issued in all other countries. Citibank U.S. cards, for example, incur both a foreign currency conversion fee and the Thai ATM charge if used in Thailand -- unless one is a Citi Gold or higher customer with a very large amount on deposit or loaned with Citi.

And, when ever I have tried to use any of the Citi ATMs in Bangkok with any other of my non-Citi U.S. debit cards, Citi definitely charges the foreign card ATM fee.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I have just arrived in Chiang Mai on a long-stay visa, intending to spend my retirement in Thailand. Before I left the UK, I enquired about using my debit card to withdraw money here from the ATM's. My UK bank charges me about £4.50 per every £100 I withdraw, so with Thai banks hitting such a withdrawal at B180, that equates to about £32-£33 charges were I to use an ATM machine to withdraw my monthly pension.

With Thai banks charging expat cards, and the greed of my UK bank, that is a route I shall not be taking. Once I have a Thai bank account, I can have my teacher's pension paid in directly to my Thai bank account. The charge for that is £1 per month, as they don't operate with the greed of the banks in the UK, who would charge me £25 for transferring my pension from my UK bank to my Thai one.

I will work out how much I need to supplement by pension with on a yearly basis, and just make the one annual transfer.

Edited by vitp4145

ANZ bank in NZ (and most others as well) charge $5 per overseas ATM transaction plus 2.5% exchange fee plus of course you get hit with the local ATM fee (Thailand 150-180 Bt) which really hurts when the only one you can find will only allow a 10,000 Bt max. But not as bad as Argentina which had a max withdrawal of $100 US for overseas cards - equal to approx 12.5% loss on transaction! Note also that the foriegn currency fee is also applied to the local ATM charge so the 150-180Bt is plus 2.5% another 4-4.5Bt

Edited by Kiwisailor

I have just arrived in Chiang Mai on a long-stay visa, intending to spend my retirement in Thailand. Before I left the UK, I enquired about using my debit card to withdraw money here from the ATM's. My UK bank charges me about £4.50 per every £100 I withdraw, so with Thai banks hitting such a withdrawal at B180, that equates to about £32-£33 charges were I to use an ATM machine to withdraw my monthly pension.

With Thai banks charging expat cards, and the greed of my UK bank, that is a route I shall not be taking. Once I have a Thai bank account, I can have my teacher's pension paid in directly to my Thai bank account. The charge for that is £1 per month, as they don't operate with the greed of the banks in the UK, who would charge be £25 for transferring my pension from my UK bank to my Thai one.

I will work out how much I need to supplement by pension with on a yearly basis, and just make the one annual transfer.

I have a UK bank account and foreign transfers are free.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How dare people run businesses to make a profit or charge for a service they provide, what are they thinking!

After all, the ATM machine itself is free,the installation free, the electricity to run it is free, the staff to service it and reload it etc is free the computer systems and hardware, it was all free so why should they charge the customer.

And I expect Bt150-180 covers that cost many, many times over. It's just a very high ATM fee focusing on expats/foreign cards. Pretty much like how foreigners are charged 2 to 4 times the admission fee of a Thai to govt-owned tourist attractions.

If the installation, electricity, staff service, reload, etc., was so expensive why are ATM withdrawals using a "Thai bank card" free or maybe Bt20 if out of region/province? Maybe a Thai debit card uses less electricity, gets different kind of money from the ATM, etc., than a foreign debit card? I don't know...you tell me.

If I use my Bank Card at one of the many Bank's Branches back home, it is free there to. So why should it be different for Thais who live here and use their banks Bank Card?

But no doubt ATM Machines do charge too much for the service they provide. They Distribute Money! But this is why they are also Money Making Machines

An evergreen topic biggrin.png

Bangkok Bank: 150 Baht, see here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BANGKOKBANK/WEBSERVICES/HELPCENTER/Pages/FeeTable.aspx

Cash withdrawal using an electronic card issued by a foreign bank or non-bank card issuer in Thailand and not an ATM Pool member
  • Cash withdrawal using an electronic card issued by a foreign bank

(Transaction fee will be waived for ATM withdrawals using AMEX cards and cards within the MEPS/ATM Pool network.)
150Bt per transaction

Krungsri 150 for Visa, 180 for MC:

http://www.krungsri.com/en/banking-rates05.aspx?flag=0

http://www.krungsri.com/inc/download.aspx?file=../download/Interest_792advance_notification_atm13.pdf

Bank of Ayudhya Public Company Limited changes the fee for cash advance
transactions at Krungsri ATMs for MasterCard credit cards issued outside of Thailand,
the Bank would collect fees at Baht 180 per transaction and Visa credit cards issued
outside of Thailand at Baht 150 per transaction.

Not in the mood to search all banks.

AEON 150 from own experience.

How dare people run businesses to make a profit or charge for a service they provide, what are they thinking!

After all, the ATM machine itself is free,the installation free, the electricity to run it is free, the staff to service it and reload it etc is free the computer systems and hardware, it was all free so why should they charge the customer.

What about the foreign exchange profit the banks already make on the transaction! So another charge in addition to a profit.

• Like 1

What cards are you using? At Kasikorn ATM i pay 50 baht to withdraw 20k baht BUT I am using Unionpay ATM cards as I work and live in China. I checked the balance on my Bank of China and confirmed that is all that I am paying. It sounds like Visa / Plus or whatever card you are using is giving you a raw deal.

With Thai banks charging expat cards, and the greed of my UK bank, that is a route I shall not be taking. Once I have a Thai bank account, I can have my teacher's pension paid in directly to my Thai bank account. The charge for that is £1 per month, as they don't operate with the greed of the banks in the UK, who would charge be £25 for transferring my pension from my UK bank to my Thai one.

I have a UK bank account and foreign transfers are free.

OK, so what is the name of this bank?

My bank in the USA... USAA Savings Bank reimburses ATM charges - even those from Thailand up to about $15.00 each account. And to the best of my account research USAA does not charge a foreign transaction fee for ATM charges -- but does for Credit Card charges ... which I believe is mostly due to MasterCard...

USAA debit card charges a 1% foreign transaction fee. See fine-print/Note 1 below from their webpage. And obtaining an ATM fee refund from foreign ATMs can be problematic with USAA due to the way their transaction system sometimes combines the fee into the amount withdrawn based on my on test withdrawal several years back when first getting the card and using a Bangkok Bank ATM for a test withdrawal...had to email in a copy of the receipt showing the fee to USAA before I got the reimbursement.

1 USAA Bank refunds up to $15 in other banks' ATM usage fees each month and does not charge a fee for the first 10 ATM withdrawals. Subsequent transactions will be charged $2.00 each. A 1% foreign transaction fee applies to withdrawals outside the United States.

Due to the 1% foreign transaction fee and the problem I had in getting a refund, the USAA card now lives in my safe and I use a couple of no foreign transaction fees debit cards (Schwab and St Farm) which reimburse no problem. But I use them sparing in Thai ATMs to avoid killing the Golden Reimbursement Goose.

Well I am no CPA but I have fine tune calculated my ATM withdraws from USAA using a MasterCard endorsed Debit/ATM Card... I find no evidence of a foreign transaction fee being added for ATM withdraws.

I clearly see foreign transaction charges when using my USAA MasterCard Credit card -- they are plainly posted. I don't use my Debit cards in Thailand for purchases - so I have no experience with that,...

Also - I have two checking accounts with USAA and mix and match as to which one I use for ATM withdraws -- and I clearly see reimbursements of $12, $14, and odd cents posted every month to one account or the other... That is my experience ... If my ATM Debit card has an upward limit of $15.00 ATM fee reimbursement on each account - which is as it seems to be -- then I have no negative experience and it is working okay for me. .

Aeon was the only "free" one in common use until about 6 months ago. I think it's now 150

BKK bank ATM in my street and yesterday outside Villa Ari charge was 150. I am sure that SCB is now 180b.

Yes there are old threads.

Yes it is a rip-off because:

1. Banks make huge profits anyway. Billions. They can pay directors 10 million dollar bonuses (even AFTER the crash!). So, irony about the high cost of ATMs is risible. The bank that doesn't charge anything OR reduces the ATM charge to 50b will reap a fortune in exchange transactions and throughput. But, I guess that homework has been done, and a cartel has been formed.

2. If I am using a UK card, as I have to sometimes, then my UK bank makes a withdrawal charge PLUS there is something (of course) in the exchange rates whereby you lose, as it were--and THEN the Thais take 180b. Hit 3 times. No wonder greed is king and society down the tubes everywhere.

eddy

• Like 1

If anyone believes Thai banks have expensive charges they must have blinkers on when they are home or overseas.

Thai banks are about as honest with charges & exchange rates as any.

If you do not believe me, walk into a bank in Australia & buy Bht.

And I expect Bt150-180 covers that cost many, many times over. It's just a very high ATM fee focusing on expats/foreign cards. Pretty much like how foreigners are charged 2 to 4 times the admission fee of a Thai to govt-owned tourist attractions.

If the installation, electricity, staff service, reload, etc., was so expensive why are ATM withdrawals using a "Thai bank card" free or maybe Bt20 if out of region/province? Maybe a Thai debit card uses less electricity, gets different kind of money from the ATM, etc., than a foreign debit card? I don't know...you tell me.

This is utter, repeat utter, nonsense. Try and use a EURO Credit or debit card in the UK, or US, or vice versa and see the charges there. They are far higher than the Baht 180. It is another question if charging a fee for using a foreign credit or debit card in any country is justified. After all the banks are making money on the exchange rates used. But this is a different story and has really nothing to do with Thai banks being anti Farangs, or anti foreigners. Let's not carry a chip on our shoulders!!

If you are an American, Charles Schwab Bank in the US does not charge a fee for using a foreign ATM AND they refund any fees that a foreign ATM charges--with NO LIMIT. It works at every bank I've ever tried except for one in mainland China. No monthly fees associated with the account, and they have the best 24 hour customer service in the industry. They never route calls to the Philippines or India and the person that answers can always answer your questions. If you receive a check, you can photograph it and it is deposited into your account. Of all of the businesses I deal with, Schwab is probably the one with which I am most pleased. I like them so much, I actually seek out cheaper ATMs to keep their costs down. LOL!

I just spoke to a Schwab agent and they will not allow online applications overseas but that aside the accounts look good even the wire rate which is $25 USD outgoing $0 in. Chase for example is $40. But, as all banks are in the business of making money there must be a cost. As I cannot find it in their documentation online can you tell us what the exchange rates are when you withdraw bhat? A known banking tip is to never let the US bank do the conversion always have the Thai bank do that so I am concerned this is where it costs the Schwab user. So again, if possible, dates and rates would be so helpful. Have a great one.

This is utter, repeat utter, nonsense. Try and use a EURO Credit or debit card in the UK, or US, or vice versa and see the charges there. They are far higher than the Baht 180. It is another question if charging a fee for using a foreign credit or debit card in any country is justified. After all the banks are making money on the exchange rates used. But this is a different story and has really nothing to do with Thai banks being anti Farangs, or anti foreigners. Let's not carry a chip on our shoulders!!

Don't confuse "ATM use fees" such as the Thai bank foreign card fee of Bt150-180 from the completely separate credit/debit card "foreign transaction fee" your "card-issuing bank" may apply which is usually in the 1 to 3% range assuming you do not have a no foreign transaction fee card.

This "card-issuing bank foreign transaction fee" is applied in any foreign country or maybe for some European bank issued cards outside the Euro region..such as a Euro credit card being used in the UK, US, Thailand, etc. Don't confuse an ATM use fee charged by the local ATM with the separate foreign transaction fee charged by your card-issuing bank. Any ATM use fee will show up on your ATM receipt and later on your bank account; any card-issuing bank fee foreign transaction fee will only show-up on your bank account.

• Like 1

My bank in the USA... USAA Savings Bank reimburses ATM charges - even those from Thailand up to about $15.00 each account. And to the best of my account research USAA does not charge a foreign transaction fee for ATM charges -- but does for Credit Card charges ... which I believe is mostly due to MasterCard...

So does NFCU (depending on the type checking you have; up to $10/mo). And they've just switched everybody over to their "GoReward" VISA card which carries no foreign transaction fees.

Edited by hawker9000

The thread has appeared numerous times on TV. I will admit to being a financial beginner, but why do so many people need to youse foreign ATM cards if you are here for an extended period? Have two myself that will not work unless I inform my bank to unlock them. Would only need one in an emergency.

It always suprises me why so many use foreign credit cards when it's so easy to open up a thai bank account with atm card for free. And when you do an online transfer from your home country you'll get the best exchange rates as well.

• Like 1