Uk Cheque Into A Thai Bank ?

Hi,

Quite a coincidence when looking at the previous post about paying a Thai cheque into a bank outside of Thailand. My situation and question is somewhat similar.

I am due to receive a cheque from a UK insurance company in the near future. The problem is, I have had no UK bank account for a number of years, the company will not pay out to a third party (ie. family member who could forward the money to me), and will not transfer to a foreign bank. Usually they insist on the money going direct into a bank in the UK, but due to the circumstances are prepared to issue a cheque (payable to me).

Does anybody know for certain if this cheque will be accepted by my bank here ?

My bank is here is Krungsri Ayutthaya, and unfortunately when this came to light it was after the close of business yesterday, and because of the long weekend I will not be able to get any information from the bank until next Wednesday, but the company in UK are expecting me to contact them on Monday to arrange payment, two days before the resume of business here.

Similar to the post about paying a Thai cheque into an overseas bank, I have no problem waiting a while for the cheque to clear. If its possible, should I go to the head office in BKK, or simply the local branch ?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated,

INTJ.

As long as the beneficiary on the cheque is the same as the owner of the account, i.e. both you) should be no problem, but it might take a couple of weeks till your bank has cleared the cheque and will credit the amount.

It might take some explaining when you go to bank it but should not be a problem. Just make sure you deal with the person in the bank with the best English, or take along soeone to translate.

My brother gave a personal cheque (AU) to a wat in Thailand. They banked it and the money came out of his account. Not sure of the fees involved, but I suspect the amount of the cheque would have well and truley cover them.

Hi,

Quite a coincidence when looking at the previous post about paying a Thai cheque into a bank outside of Thailand. My situation and question is somewhat similar.

I am due to receive a cheque from a UK insurance company in the near future. The problem is, I have had no UK bank account for a number of years, the company will not pay out to a third party (ie. family member who could forward the money to me), and will not transfer to a foreign bank. Usually they insist on the money going direct into a bank in the UK, but due to the circumstances are prepared to issue a cheque (payable to me).

Does anybody know for certain if this cheque will be accepted by my bank here ?

My bank is here is Krungsri Ayutthaya, and unfortunately when this came to light it was after the close of business yesterday, and because of the long weekend I will not be able to get any information from the bank until next Wednesday, but the company in UK are expecting me to contact them on Monday to arrange payment, two days before the resume of business here.

Similar to the post about paying a Thai cheque into an overseas bank, I have no problem waiting a while for the cheque to clear. If its possible, should I go to the head office in BKK, or simply the local branch ?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated,

INTJ.

Hi

Just lost my longer message, so this time it’s short and sweet

Answer is yes, no problem. They may ask you to pay in 3000 baht to cover the costs should it bounce, depending on you balance and you can do it at your own branch. If they say you can't it's cos they don't know, so stand firm (been there done that)....

I’ve been doing it for the last 10 years…..

Disco